Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-07-2012, 02:29   #1
b757

Harbour Flights Ireland

Any news on the crowd that's setting it up. Didn't hear much since it was on the paper awhile back.

Says it will be launching in 2012 in the west of the country but no news so far as in starting operations.

Would be interesting to see if they ever get going, and I wonder would they eventually even get to dublin or the south of the country. And if so, where (such as in Waterford, and where could it operate from, etc)?

http://www.harbourflights.com/

Last edited by b757; 12-07-2012 at 02:38.
Advertisement
12-07-2012, 11:56   #2

This lot have been starting up for a good number of years, highly doubt they will start this year as half the tourist season is nearly over.
12-07-2012, 14:26   #3

A ridiculous idea in Ireland imo.
12-07-2012, 15:10   #4
b757

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confab View Post
A ridiculous idea in Ireland imo.
I agree, even if they did start up i doubt they will get much business and will probably end up shutting down after a year or so.

Plus, the irish weather is not suitable. With the way we have been like the past few weeks, vfr flying would not be possible and would be very limited.
12-07-2012, 19:58   #5
Skuxx

They were doing some test flights out of a little spot in Clare called Mountshannon! I havn't seen the plane around at all this year though and I'd be out on the lake around there most weekends. I have seen a sign in the village with directions to thier base, I'll take a spin to it next time I'm there and see is there anyone around!!
Advertisement
13-07-2012, 10:18   #6
CharlieOscar

I am sure that given the experience of the board members that they have completed some market research and if they are to follow through there is obviously "some" demand for their service.

Not sure if something like this can be very profitable though, given that from say Galway to Weston in a 172 you would use about 8-9 Gallons, and at circa €2 per litre, the fuel alone is going to cost about €80-€90 then landing fees, then paying the pilot, then upkeep, insurance.

So it would likely be a very niche market with very select clients who are happy to be transported in a small light aircraft at the drop of a hat, as long as weather minima is achieved.

They would need to have several contracts for regular flights to make this a profitable venture, so I hope in their case that they have the clients to build this business.

Best of luck lads.
13-07-2012, 10:26   #7
squonk

Send a message via MSN to squonk Send a message via Skype™ to squonk
Their route from Galway to Cork looks promising. All things being equal, I'd be happy to be able to finish work, get down to the Docks and get down to Cork relatively quickly if I was going that way to visit my brother who lives down there. It's certainly a better alternative to the 3+ hour bus journey you'd need to do instead to get there. I hope they get going in time as, overall, it's a great idea. If trips were reasonably priced, they might have a bit of demand.
13-07-2012, 20:20   #8

They've been using NFC's floatplane 172 for practice but it isn't a viable aircraft for carrying passengers. They need something a bit bigger and there's no sign of that arriving. I suspect funding is the big issue.

I do think there's a market though. Although I believe scenic flying would be the best option.

The weather is really not the issue some people believe. The country is really more flyable than some people think. Particularly for an experienced CPL.
05-07-2013, 01:58   #9
b757

Looks like NFC/Harbour flights got their AOC. Flights due to start Wednesday 10th July..

http://www.nfc.ie/content.aspx?id=-2&pageid=56
Advertisement
05-07-2013, 02:14   #10
Peregrine
I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Well this is interesting..

Initially using 172Ps. If they do well, what kind of aircraft would they upgrade to does anybody know?

I'm sure everyone here would love to see some pictures of the first flight if anybody is going btw.
05-07-2013, 06:37   #11
smurfjed

Quote:
what kind of aircraft would they upgrade to
Would love to see them get a Beaver

I got a sea plane rating from Kenmore Air in Seattle, the sense of freedom associated with water flying is amazing, just pick a place, land, pull the plane up onto the beach and get out the picnic. I would highly recommend getting this rating to any PPL.

I wish KOC/NFC the best of luck.

smurfjed
(2) thanks from:
27-07-2013, 00:08   #12
A319er

Update

Mountshannon Airport
Well a flight today !
Airshow cancelled this year due to the white tailed Norwegian eagle
Hatching ! Now this eagle is rare but not as rare as a plane at our local
Airport.....can see the marketing blurb now ...

Ireland sorry Europes busiest seaplane hub closed due bird strike
Hazard ??? Pity
27-07-2013, 13:16   #13
homerjay2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by A319er View Post
Mountshannon Airport
Well a flight today !
Airshow cancelled this year due to the white tailed Norwegian eagle
Hatching ! Now this eagle is rare but not as rare as a plane at our local
Airport.....can see the marketing blurb now ...

Ireland sorry Europes busiest seaplane hub closed due bird strike
Hazard ??? Pity
possibly the most confusin posts ive ever read on boards. can you write that, without the drugs?
27-07-2013, 14:22   #14
the beerhunter

i think it's some kind of long-form haiku. beautiful.
27-07-2013, 20:05   #15
A319er

Vikings

Calm waters

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size