Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Harbour Flights Ireland

• 12-07-2012 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭

Any news on the crowd that's setting it up. Didn't hear much since it was on the paper awhile back.

Says it will be launching in 2012 in the west of the country but no news so far as in starting operations.

Would be interesting to see if they ever get going, and I wonder would they eventually even get to dublin or the south of the country. And if so, where (such as in Waterford, and where could it operate from, etc)?

http://www.harbourflights.com/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭urajoke

This lot have been starting up for a good number of years, highly doubt they will start this year as half the tourist season is nearly over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

A ridiculous idea in Ireland imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Confab wrote: »
    A ridiculous idea in Ireland imo.

I agree, even if they did start up i doubt they will get much business and will probably end up shutting down after a year or so.

Plus, the irish weather is not suitable. With the way we have been like the past few weeks, vfr flying would not be possible and would be very limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

They were doing some test flights out of a little spot in Clare called Mountshannon! I havn't seen the plane around at all this year though and I'd be out on the lake around there most weekends. I have seen a sign in the village with directions to thier base, I'll take a spin to it next time I'm there and see is there anyone around!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭CharlieOscar

I am sure that given the experience of the board members that they have completed some market research and if they are to follow through there is obviously "some" demand for their service.

Not sure if something like this can be very profitable though, given that from say Galway to Weston in a 172 you would use about 8-9 Gallons, and at circa €2 per litre, the fuel alone is going to cost about €80-€90 then landing fees, then paying the pilot, then upkeep, insurance.

So it would likely be a very niche market with very select clients who are happy to be transported in a small light aircraft at the drop of a hat, as long as weather minima is achieved.

They would need to have several contracts for regular flights to make this a profitable venture, so I hope in their case that they have the clients to build this business.

Best of luck lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭squonk

Their route from Galway to Cork looks promising. All things being equal, I'd be happy to be able to finish work, get down to the Docks and get down to Cork relatively quickly if I was going that way to visit my brother who lives down there. It's certainly a better alternative to the 3+ hour bus journey you'd need to do instead to get there. I hope they get going in time as, overall, it's a great idea. If trips were reasonably priced, they might have a bit of demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

They've been using NFC's floatplane 172 for practice but it isn't a viable aircraft for carrying passengers. They need something a bit bigger and there's no sign of that arriving. I suspect funding is the big issue.

I do think there's a market though. Although I believe scenic flying would be the best option.

The weather is really not the issue some people believe. The country is really more flyable than some people think. Particularly for an experienced CPL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

Looks like NFC/Harbour flights got their AOC. Flights due to start Wednesday 10th July..

http://www.nfc.ie/content.aspx?id=-2&pageid=56

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Well this is interesting..

Initially using 172Ps. If they do well, what kind of aircraft would they upgrade to does anybody know?

I'm sure everyone here would love to see some pictures of the first flight if anybody is going btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,995 ✭✭✭smurfjed

what kind of aircraft would they upgrade to
    Would love to see them get a Beaver :):)

I got a sea plane rating from Kenmore Air in Seattle, the sense of freedom associated with water flying is amazing, just pick a place, land, pull the plane up onto the beach and get out the picnic. I would highly recommend getting this rating to any PPL.

I wish KOC/NFC the best of luck.

smurfjed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭A319er

Mountshannon Airport
    Well a flight today !
    Airshow cancelled this year due to the white tailed Norwegian eagle
    Hatching ! Now this eagle is rare but not as rare as a plane at our local
    Airport.....can see the marketing blurb now ...

Ireland sorry Europes busiest seaplane hub closed due bird strike
    Hazard ??? Pity

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

A319er wrote: »
    Mountshannon Airport
    Well a flight today !

Hazard ??? Pity

possibly the most confusin posts ive ever read on boards. can you write that, without the drugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭the beerhunter

i think it's some kind of long-form haiku. beautiful.

Calm waters

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭happy_head

A319er wrote: »
    Mountshannon Airport
    Well a flight today !

Hazard ??? Pity

WTF?

Busy week gone by, daily ops and plenty ads on Clare FM
    Maybe we are ready ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Storm 10

They are carrying out landing and take offs at Galway Harbour today, no idea of the times as I would like to see it but at least something is happening.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭phonypony

Tabnabs wrote: »
    It looks like anything but plane sailing for these guys

Ever thought of a career in tabloid journalism? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

Does anyone know what the story is with Harbour Flights? Website says they have ceased operations until the new year when they will have their new fleet of aircraft???

I also noticed NFC have their Cessna 172 on floats up for sale in this months Flying Ireland magazine.

http://www.harbourflights.com/landing.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Bogroll

I would suggest that a C172 on floats is totally unsuited to that type of operation. Its far to underpowered even with an upgraded 180 horse Lycombing. Also an amphibian type aircraft reduces performance and increases costs etc. They really need a C206 on straight floats. Also location is nuts. They need to focus on population centres such as Dublin, Galway, Limerick cork etc.

Bogroll wrote: »
    I would suggest that a C172 on floats is totally unsuited to that type of operation. Its far to underpowered even with an upgraded 180 horse Lycombing. Also an amphibian type aircraft reduces performance and increases costs etc. They really need a C206 on straight floats. Also location is nuts. They need to focus on population centres such as Dublin, Galway, Limerick cork etc.

NFC do have a 206 on floats although it hasn't flown in a few years. Perhaps they might be planning to get it airworthy for Harbour Flights...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bogroll

Yes, the G reg 206. I haven't seen that flying in years! It would be great to see it going again. I would say their is a limited opening for pleasure flights alright...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭mackjark

The 206 was operated for Ossie Kilkenny, U2's accountant although it's officially owned by Kieran O'Connor.

As for Harbour Air: "With our ever expanding destination success, we are currently in the process of upgrading our fleet. Unfortunately we have to temporarily cease commercial operations to execute the training in our new aircraft to meet the health and safety standards of the IAA and to ensure our 100% safety record. We apologise in advance to our loyal customers and hope you understand that we taught it best to use the off season to cause as little disruption as possible. We will be back fully operational again early in the new year with our brand new fleet of aircraft, operating from destinations nationwide. Our offices remain open, so please feel free to call our number or email us with any queries, Thank you all so much for you patience" CEO Emelyn Heaps

'Brand new fleet' from 'destinations nationwide'. Sounds a bit aspirational to me. Then there's the 'health and safety standards of the IAA'. Not sure what that means. This might well be the last we'll see of this little venture. Pity really, it would be nice to see floatplanes buzzing around.

It was always a bit pie in the sky, it has to be said.

Yes it is a pity but I think that this is the last of Harbour Flights.

It's like the old saying: "The best way to make a small fortune in aviation is to start with a large one"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

"...we taught it best..."
    "...you patience"

Training in English maybe!

FWVT wrote: »
    "...we taught it best..."
    "...you patience"

Training in English maybe!

ICAO English level 3 maybe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Were they actually operational? What routes were they flying? I thought they hadn't yet started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭mackjark

There were some scenic flights. But the AOC they are using was only granted to the NFC a couple of months ago and they still only had the 172.

The website was always more aspirational than realistic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

Any more news on this at all? It would be nice to see sea planes land at Foynes again. Any chance of this going ahead or have the plans been shut down?

Advertisement