Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea deliveries to Galway

Options
  • 29-06-2010 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Sorry if this is the wrong forum, wasn't sure where was best to put it.

Does anyone know what the charges are for delivery from Ikea in Dublin to Galway? Probably for a few wardrobes, bookcase and other bits and pieces. I did a search here but could only find stuff relating to delivery charges from Belfast, or from Dublin but within Dublin, nothing about Dublin to Galway and the Ikea site says find out in store. Looked at van rental on Enterprise and was coming to €230 as it would be over a weekend so wondering which would be better value. Also would we need a large van or would medium do? Not planning on getting any bulky items, should all be flat-packed so I imagine medium should do - though Enterprise had no medium vans available for the weekend we wanted it.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I found this. I doubt very much that the offer is still available, but it's worth a try.

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_IE/customer_service/ikea_services/transport_services.html

Perhaps organising the van through IKEA might get you a preferential rate. Again, perhaps not, but worth a try.

EDIT: It seems that the offer is the first 100 customers to spend €199 and use a hire a van from EACH location can avail of the offer. That's 900 van hires. I have no idea how long the Dublin branch is open but they may not have reach the 100 yet.

ANOTHER EDIT: You could get a commercial van from Enterprise for about €75 Link. Petrol and tolls then would bring it north of €100. Still cheaper than having someone do it for you.

Just an observation but, do people not have a false perception of convenience when it comes to flat-packs? I'm not the one buying the furniture, but I personally would never go to the bother of driving stuff down from Dublin or having it delivered and incurring a big cost (relatively speaking) in the process.

It's not just a case of wanting to buy local. What local businesses have going for them, funnily enough, is that they are local.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

We hired a van from the place on the old monivea road. Was very handy. Can't remember the cost but it was a lot cheaper than 230.

@civis_liberalis - I've kitted out my whole house for storage through Ikea. I've found the prices for storage to be about half those in Galway, there is a much better selection, a better engineered product, much smarter use of space and far prettier.

Haven't had any problems with them at all. We did get one flat pack with a back missing and that was couriered down within two days. The flat pack was very easy to put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's places like this too
    www.orderyourfurniture.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

You can rent a large van from MotorPark at Headford Rd for €85/day or €100/weekend.

I have been looking for moving house and seems to be cheapest!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I find Ikea flat pack furniture about 100 times easier to put together than the Argos flat pack stuff.

The prices at Ikea can't be beat by anything local, plus pretty much everything available locally is fugly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

and if you dealt with pretty much any of the Galway furniture retailers (local and chain stores), you appreciate the 'no fuss' approach by IKEA and take flat packs gladly. We're trying to kit out a house at the moment, and the 'service' we've experienced so far was shocking, to say the least. (and not just one shop, all of them)

Anyhoo...(please do let me know if you happen to find out what IKEA charges for delivery!)

eh, why not just ring the Ikea shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭IainML

seems to be 175 euro for 300kg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 twinsdad

IainML wrote: »
    seems to be 175 euro for 300kg

Ikea charge €175 per trolley up to 200kg but waiting time is savage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

biko wrote: »
    There's places like this too
    www.orderyourfurniture.ie

I just put in a value to get some idea....delivered to Galway...
    Item cost€250.00

Our service cost of 10%€25.00

Delivery€175.00

Sub Total€450.00

Online booking charge of 3%€13.50

Total€463.50

So thats 213.50 euro to Galway for items costing 250..

• Advertisement

I don't think the high cost is due to the weight or unwieldiness of the items. It's more than to get 5 deliveries @ €50 all within a 20 mile radius is far easier than making one delivery to Galway.

It's just hassle that they don't want so it's weighted to make it unattractive or so expensive that it's "worth" their while. I suspect that even if you did ring up about it that there's only one or two days that they deliver and that they wait to get several orders together.

twinsdad wrote: »
    The www.themottlycrew.com claim to do it for €90 per 200kg trolley and they take paypal.

Surely €250 worth of stuff wouldn't weigh that much??????

If you go into the ikea website, and look up the article you want they provide the packed weight and dimensions so you can figure out how much the trolley of goods would weigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rkdub

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_IE/pdf/services/ireland_delivery_rates.pdf

They now deliver outside Dublin for a flat fee of €120 to most (all?) of the country. Although they will charge you a picking service fee on top of that (€20) if you don't bring the stuff through a checkout to the home delivery desk/area.
    Even at €140, it probably beats hiring a van/petrol & the labour for any reasonable amount of stuff?

I'm now looking at getting a utility and wardrobe kit delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

Friend was telling me there used to be service in Galway where you could get stuff brought down from ikea for a small fee....one man and his van kinda job. Anyone know where I can find out more on this or if still going?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 julesea

The advertiser has this man: http://www.onemanandhisvan.com/

I don't know what they are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Ikea have a delivery service, or at least arrange one. I had an entire kitchen delivered a couple of years ago for, I think it was €80 or thereabouts.

Merged in with the last delivery thread.

As a side note, it could be worth comparing with Argos. I bought a wardrobe from Argos cheaper than Ikea recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

I have a friend who has a courier business here in Galway. He was advertising IKEA pick ups a while back . If interseted I could pass on his details but let me know if your genuinely interested first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

crusher000 wrote: »
    I have a friend who has a courier business here in Galway. He was advertising IKEA pick ups a while back . If interseted I could pass on his details but let me know if your genuinely interested first.

I'd be interested in getting some photo frames. Not very big in size but if anyone wants to share courier costs I'd be interested.

Someone else put up a 'anyone want anything from Ikea' post a while back, very kind of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

crusher000 wrote: »

Hi,
    Could you ask him for prices please and either reply here or PM me?
    Thanks,
    Pa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

dinneenp wrote: »
    I'd be interested in getting some photo frames. Not very big in size but if anyone wants to share courier costs I'd be interested.
    I wanted to get a desk lamp recently. Unforunately that type of thing is so small the cost of the courier will be far greater than the value of the item. At least that's what I turned up when I was hunting around. I sent an email round the office and sure enough a colleague was heading up there at the weekend and picked it up for me. Only option at the moment, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

There are loads of one man + van setups doing ikea deliveries. We were quoted 100 euro for up to 200kg. They often don't do the market hall stuff though.

I read somewhere about a crowd that did, or intended to do, bus runs to Ikea.

edit, it was borderbus.net but doesn't seem to be operational any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Just a small side note. IKEA's in house couriers will not take responsibility for glass. We bought a wardrobe with sliding glass doors and it had to be carried at our own risk. I complained in writing to the manager but heard sweet fa back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 onemanandhisvan

You are spot on fifib. 'One Man and His Van' is based in Westport but deliver to Galway city and surrounds from IKEA also. Rates start from as little as €25. If you want to email a list to <no mails, read charter> , I will work out a delivery charge based on your list and if you are happy to proceed thereafter, we will include your items on our next IKEA run.
    Kind Regards
    Fintan

Disclaimer: 'One Man and His Van' is not an authorised agent of IKEA. We are a separate company

Advertisement