Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour De Burren

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

blueeyes22 wrote: »
    I think i have solved my 108k/140k mystery..looks like after Kilfenora at about 52k mark instead of turning left and heading north for Ballyvaghan i carried on straight on the 160k route and on up into the Burren National Park!!By coincidence when i got to 2nd food stop in Lisdoonvarna my computor read 108k.If i remember correctly at the left junction i should have taken i was behind coaches/trucks turning left so must have missed the arrows.GPS present from Santa i think.
    Anyway thanks to all involved for a great 140k.

I did the opposite, after kilfenore, i turned left onto the 100 route instead of straight for the 160 route and I missed the national park , Comparing with captain havocs garmin. dont know how i missed it. missing 25 K !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

blueeyes22 wrote: »
    I think i have solved my 108k/140k mystery..looks like after Kilfenora at about 52k mark instead of turning left and heading north for Ballyvaghan i carried on straight on the 160k route and on up into the Burren National Park!!By coincidence when i got to 2nd food stop in Lisdoonvarna my computor read 108k.If i remember correctly at the left junction i should have taken i was behind coaches/trucks turning left so must have missed the arrows.GPS present from Santa i think.
    Anyway thanks to all involved for a great 140k.

Mystery solved, well you can always say that finished first in the 140 Km category!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

I did the 108km , my second leisure cycle , did my first one the week before . Found it a good test , didnt mind castle hill too much , was off the saddle in the lowest gear and out of breath , but got up . Spent too much time at the first food stop , chatting . The second stage for me was the hardest , spent alot of time riding from group to group and no one i could really crack on with . Found the cork screw tough , wasnt expecting it cause someone told me we were goin down it . The wheels slips under me on it and i fell off but i got straight back up and finished it . I stopped at the second food stop was didnt want to go on .Took on food there even though i didnt want it , but felt i needed it . Last stage was the easiest with no real hill and the wind on my back . Came in in 4.16 ride time , so happy enough with that on that course .
    Will def be back next yr .
    Fairplay to the organisers for having the emergency services close by to attend to the serious accident .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

nevskin wrote: »
    I'll post here so as to give an informed update on yesterday's crash at the Tour De Burren. The cyclist who crashed is a clubmate of mine. Needless to say we have been requesting updates as much as possible. Martin sustained a cracked skull and a broken neck bone. He underwent surgery last night in Cork and the latest we have heard is that he is recovering well from the surgery. However as this was a serious head and neck injury he is being closely monitored. There is no doubt that the presence of a surgeon( also Martin's clubmate and friend) a senior paramedic, and the proximity of the Air Ambulance, had a significant part to play in this terrible accident. Sincere thanks to all who assisted our clubmate.

Brian ( Dolmen CC)

I have done a few sportives organised by the Burren club and have cycled with them and members of your Dolmen Club, most recently at he end of May for an institution in Ennis. These events have always been perfectly organised and have been friendly and welcoming. I've probably cycled with your injured friend on one of these and really hope he recovers well. Thanks for your information earlier.

As an aside, is it just me that found that Newstalk web article distasteful, particularly the last sentence and the lazily photoshopped picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

ashleey wrote: »
    the lazily photoshopped picture?

Do you mean this one?

Tour-de-Burren098.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

I thought it was photoshopped as weel, however you can see people holdong onto the two bikes in the front, so maybe its not? Still a stupid photo though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Maybe it is a real photo and no wonder the lad at the front looks nervous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 blueeyes22

Mystery solved, well you can always say that finished first in the 140 Km category!! :D
    At last i have something for my palmares.. 1st TOUR DE BURREN 2012 140K,looks great and unfortunatley it also has DNF TOUR DE BURREN 2012 108K.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

For those of you cycling the burren with overshoes on, did they keep your feet dry and what brand were they? My feet were soaked and felt like they had puddles in them. Love to know if yours were bone dry!

Same here, in my experience nothing keeps out that lashing of rain we got. I use BBB Waterflex overshoes, they're decent and they did keep out a lot but not everything. I find that there is a catch 22 here as well, even though they keep out a lot of the rain they by their very nature they keep in the heat/sweat generated as part of a long cycle, but i would rather be with than without.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

kavanagh_h wrote: »
    For those of you cycling the burren with overshoes on, did they keep your feet dry and what brand were they? My feet were soaked and felt like they had puddles in them. Love to know if yours were bone dry!
    I cycle every day and I can tell you exactly how the overshoes work.
    On average rain (not too heavy) my feet are dry for the first 20 min of my exciting journey and then my feet start getting soaked wet, which is not a big issue. The only thing is to have a spare pair of socks and old newspapers for the shoes to dry them off.
    If the rain is very light, I can manage to keep my feet dry through the whole trip. That is using a good rain proof overshoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

Seweryn wrote: »
    On average rain (not too heavy) my feet are dry for the first 20 min of my exciting journey and then my feet start getting soaked wet, which is not a big issue. If the rain is very light, I can manage to keep my feet dry through the whole trip. That is using a good rain proof overshoes.

Mmmmmm thanks for that. Was hoping theyd be better than that but thats probably asking too much in irish weather!

kavanagh_h wrote: »
    Mmmmmm thanks for that. Was hoping theyd be better than that but thats probably asking too much in irish weather!
    I am awaiting another pair of overshoes, so will test them also. But in fairness, if it is raining your feet are the first to get wet really, no matter what.

Some guys say that they do not commute by bike during the winter, as it is too wet, but honestly I got wet twice last winter and I get wet twice per week (or even twice a day) this "summer" :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

I am giving up summer sportives as the weather is too wet in the summmer and taking up autumn winter and spring cycling when the weather is drier ( but colder !! )

michael196 wrote: »
    I am giving up summer sportives as the weather is too wet in the summmer and taking up autumn winter and spring cycling when the weather is drier ( but colder !! )
    The only thing during "off season" cycling (or should I say On Season) is that you need a good set of lights. But once you get it, it makes the whole difference ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Greytop

RT66 wrote: »
    989m according to my garmin.

My Garmin showed 1,719m which i believe is correcthttp://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/confused.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

never mind , please delete this post

I was on about saefty and descents on narrow roads, that crash on sat could have been fatal

but I have spent a long time writing my explination but it was lost(pressed wrong button)

never mind

CH

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Cycling uphill is dangerous now?

I've never known anyone to crash going up a climb on a sportive.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Think you'd better explain your view better Lazairus, I don't really see the problem from your post. I've never known climbing to be dangerous either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Threads merged, both are on the subject of the Tour de Burren

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭midlands1

Enjoyed the TDB apart from the weather. Only issue I would have was Castle Hill . It would have been fine if you were in the lead , or were not in a bunch. I came into it and crashed along with a few more .There was people all over the place walking and just standing around after getting off their bikes with no consideration for the cyclists trying to get through. A little bit of intervention required from the marshals here to get people to move to the side and not pull up in the middle of the road .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Lumen wrote: »
    Cycling uphill is dangerous now?

I've never known anyone to crash going up a climb on a sportive.

"Crash" would be a strong word........a few slow falls of death would be a better description.

I think if the route could be tweaked (how, I don't know) to include a long draggy hill it would've strung things out a bit better.

As it was a large group (several hundred) hit the first big climb and when someone stalled it blocked everyone behind. You had some very strong climbers trying to 'barge' through. It gave a certain air of chaos, and when someone stopped and couldn't unclip quick enough, over they went and usually took a couple with them.

Corkscrew Hill, though, is a classic - great surface, stiff enough gradient and lovely hairpins!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Seweryn wrote: »
    I am awaiting another pair of overshoes, so will test them also. But in fairness, if it is raining your feet are the first to get wet really, no matter what.

Some guys say that they do not commute by bike during the winter, as it is too wet, but honestly I got wet twice last winter and I get wet twice per week (or even twice a day) this "summer" :pac:.

Try a pair of sealskins socks. I find them great, much better than my Louis Garneau overshoes. (although they're not very Euro)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Outdoor enthusiast

Fair play to the organisers of the TDB, despite the weather we had a blast. Then again our group is only moderately competitive in comparison to some of the seasoned campaigners. I thought the organisers controlled everything they could, the weather was in the alp of the gods who must`ve truned a deaf ear to the request!
    I was on the Tour of Meath - interesting change of route this year. Some tricky roads up around Sliabh Breagh - once I get the feeling back in the bum I`ll register for the TOM. I see they have an early bird entry fee - suits my pocket at the moment!
    Anyone else heading to Meath - its July 29th?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Jawgap wrote: »
    "Crash" would be a strong word........a few slow falls of death would be a better description.

I think if the route could be tweaked (how, I don't know) to include a long draggy hill it would've strung things out a bit better.

As it was a large group (several hundred) hit the first big climb and when someone stalled it blocked everyone behind.

Went down for the 160km and this is the first sportiff I've not completed. Thankfully the rain held off for the start and I expected showers so was dressed for showers and not all day rain unfortunately for me.

When I first looked at the route profile I thought it would be good but as above the first climb was too early and the road too narrow with a very poor surface was not a good combination to put hundreds of cyclist up at the same time and should have been saved till later in the spin. The climb it self wasn't too bad except for having to dodge the cyclists'. On the way down I wasn't too far behind the accident and it was as bad as the uphill, some people crawling down making it difficult to judge the overtake but once back on the road it was spread out reasonably enough.

After the first climb the next few climbs got tougher as I got more tired but the down hill from the Cliffs of 'Insanity' was a nice spin and a very fast run to the food stop. By the time I reached the food stop I was wet and tired so stupidly didn't eat or drink enough and continued on, it was around the parochial house when I decided I wasn't going to complete as I was getting cold and had the West Cork the following day so decided to head straight for Ballyvaughan which luckily for me the route followed so finished with 120km by turning right into the village instead of onto Cork Screw.

It was a tough day in the saddle and the weather definitely didn't help. Good food spread and even with the weather the ice cream at the finish was nice while standing there wet to the bone!! I couldn't help but to laugh at what I'd just done and the thought of driving down to West Cork to do it all again the next day.

I think these events should consider the number of people on the road at the start and maybe not have a mass start / start in groups or have a longer run to the first climb, also as mentioned why have a slow lead car and not just let people off?

Will be back again next year so long as there is no early climbs like this year, it would have made for an interesting climb on the finishing stretch!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Personally I think early climbs are a good chance to spread the participants out.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Personally I think early climbs are a good chance to spread the participants out.

I agree but just think there better when they are not so early on such a narrow roadway, definitely a bit later like the Waterford or Sligo one when the climb comes later in the day which spreads out the pack and on a better & wider road imo..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I would agree with that, but I think that part of the problem at TdeB was the lead out car. I don't know what purpose it was supposed to serve, but it ensured that the more or less the entire group reached the climb together.
    The effect was pretty much as if you started the event on a climb.

A few stewards or even a bit of common sense on behalf of the riders would solve a lot of problems. If cyclists have to walk up a steep hill keep to one side, there were a few stewards at a water stop on top of that first climb on the 110 Km, just one of them further down would have solved a lot of problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Hi guys, I took some pictures last Saturday (250) in Doolin, if you want to have a look:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cosmok/sets/72157630288200386/

Advertisement