Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astonishing feats of cinematography

Options
  • 18-06-2012 7:01pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭

We don't discuss the nitty-gritty of film around here nearly enough: and I'm not talking about Prometheus plotholes ;) No, I'm talking about the artistic and technical processes of making a film. One of the most thankless things about being a DoP, editor, sound designer etc... is that if they're doing their job right often times many audiences members won't even be aware of the craftmanship on display. Not drawing overt attention to the technical side of things is actually sometimes a good thing.

But that's an aside, and this thread isn't about that. The complete opposite, actually. No, this is a place to discuss those astonishing feats of cinematography that you can't help but notice. That are so accomplished, imaginative, graceful and often seemingly impossible that you can't help but notice the artistry on display. The shots that make you want to track down a making of ASAP and figure out how the **** they did it.

So, obviously we're going to see Inception and Children of Men mentioned before long, but try to pick more unusual examples if you can. Those shots or techniques that have really had an effect on you for whatever reason, and that impress no matter how many times you see them. I'll get the ball rolling, and if there's a positive response I think an 'editing' sister thread will be a nice accompaniment:

I haven't seen the full film yet, but from the handful of extended clips I've seen I'm amazed by what the crew of I Am Cuba pulled off. The synchronized long-shots are captivating, the camera angles are brilliantly unique (from cityscapes to extreme close-ups), but it's the fact that it was made in 1964 that really impresses. Made with today's tech, such poetic movement would be stunning. Back then, with all the bulky equipment and limited tech (and I'd imagine budget) it's jaw-dropping. What ****ing insane setup did these guys have?

From lots of movement to the simplest pan, I love this extended shot from Tarkovsky's The Sacrifice. Bergman's regular cinematographer Sven Nykvist was responsible for this, and while I could name any number of Bergman examples (or Tarkovsky examples at that), I was just hypnotised by this shot when I watched it. The barren landscape, the burning house, those graceful pans and careful tracking movements: the camera here has a real sense of time, colour and space. It's deceptively simple, but a damn good example of less being more.

And finally, I love pretty much every frame of the Life of O-Haru equally. Just go and watch it. Amazing.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

This is what I thought of as soon as I saw the thread title. TBH I don't have the technical know how to know if it's an "astonishing feat", but I certainly think it's astonishing...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Oh, and a personal favourite in terms of Cinematography is "The Fall", a breathtakingly beautiful movie from start to finish. The opening alone is mesmerizing...

Needs to be seen in HD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Manco

Thought of I Am Cuba the moment I saw the thread title, the funeral scene is astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

good idea for a thread, given so many movies are horrid looking these days (seriously Hollywood stop the orange/teal look, its destroying films, but thats a whole other thread) for editing and a great look then the opening of City Of God is fantastic.

Once Upon A Time In The West,several iconic shots in the opening sequence

the train robbery in The Assassination of Jesse James, gorgeous

The village attack in Apocalypse Now, some of the shots are incredible looking to this day, some of the setups must have taken forever, its more like Coppola just shot a war that happened to be going on at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I always thought the cinematographer was very unappreciated. We hear all about the stars and the directors and the writers but where would Wong Kar-Wai be without Cristopher Doyle with his eye for colour and his framing or look at the startlingly different look of Spielberg's work since he started working with Janusz Kaminski: All washed out colours and lens flare (But not Abrahams Flare).
    I've always been a fan of long takes: The planning and choreography involved in a complex shot. I know Russian Ark is famous for being entirely one shot but the Copacabana scene in Goodfellas is one of my very favourite scenes ever. One shot displaying how cool it is to be important: Knowing everyone, great and small, everyone knowing you, the power of just having everything at your fingertips. All in 3 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Again, not an astonishing feat, but I love how this sequence shows so much in so little space:

Edit: City of God is a great shout, would have suggested it myself too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,964 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I like Conrad Hall's creative use of varying high frame rates in American Beauty, which evoke Lester's alternate reality (or delusion, depending on your point of view). I remember Kevin Spacey saying that Mena Suvari was actually asked to flap her arms around madly in this scene, just to give some movement at that frame rate.

If you watch the first dinner table scene closely, you can see the camera very slowly moving in, the table gets closer ... but the back wall doesn't. I only spotted this recently. Its a subtle use of the dolly zoom, an effect which is normally exaggerated for effect e.g. in horror films, like this:

:pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Apart from Soy Cuba this has to be some of the best cinematography ever, one continuous crane shot that covers half the town, if you've never seen it your in for a treat, the Secret In Their Eyes shot is fantastic but its 3 or 4 separate shots joined in the computer unlike the other analogue examples on this page.:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

krudler wrote: »

The village attack in Apocalypse Now, some of the shots are incredible looking to this day, some of the setups must have taken forever, its more like Coppola just shot a war that happened to be going on at the time.

If I recall correctly there actually was a war on there at the time. I think it even threatened filming at one point.

My own submission would have to be House of Flying Daggers. I saw this in 2004 in the IFI and was in awe at it. The cinematography is jaw dropping even for some of the smaller scenes lasting only a few seconds. The use of colour is amazing in some scenes even the bamboo looks fantastic! :)

I wont put a youtube video up as none of them do it justice, no points for whoever guesses what I am watching tonight :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I got goosebumps when I finally got to see this in the cinema. Makes NY look like the most amazing place in the world to live.

• Advertisement

From Syndromes and a Century, a contender for my favorite film of the last decade. Most hypnotic end to a movie I've ever seen, don't worry about spoilers since this just isn't the type of experience that can be spoiled in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

The first one that springs to mind for me is Ong Bak now not a mind blowing film in general if youre looking for a great stroyline but the fight scene in the temple always blew me away, the choreography, the use of the water with the fire burning visually I think its just stunning.

Sorry for the low quality video its the best quality I could find sadly.

Oh, and a personal favourite in terms of Cinematography is "The Fall", a breathtakingly beautiful movie from start to finish. The opening alone is mesmerizing...

Needs to be seen in HD.

That film somehow passed me by, I notice its on Netflix so will have a look at it soon.

bnt wrote: »
    If you watch the first dinner table scene closely, you can see the camera very slowly moving in, the table gets closer ... but the back wall doesn't. I only spotted this recently. Its a subtle use of the dolly zoom, an effect which is normally exaggerated for effect e.g. in horror films, like this:

:pac:

The zooming in/tracking out effect is also used to great effect in Vertigo (first film it was used in)

and more slowly to ominous effect in the cafe scene between De Niro and Liotta in Goodfellows.

I haven't seen the full film yet, but from the handful of extended clips I've seen I'm amazed by what the crew of I Am Cuba pulled off. The synchronized long-shots are captivating, the camera angles are brilliantly unique (from cityscapes to extreme close-ups), but it's the fact that it was made in 1964 that really impresses. Made with today's tech, such poetic movement would be stunning. Back then, with all the bulky equipment and limited tech (and I'd imagine budget) it's jaw-dropping. What ****ing insane setup did these guys have?

There is a great 2005 documentary that shows how they did a lot of the astonishing set ups they used called "I Am Cuba: the Siberian Mammoth" You should definitely check it out, I seen it on Film 4 a few years ago.

Lets not forget "Into The Void" some amazing visual invention on show there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I saw this linked somewhere else recently, it's the mirror scene in Contact. It's a fancy trick that I think lends a lot to the feeling of the scene without distracting from it. I still can't figure out how it's done either.

stevenmu wrote: »
    I saw this linked somewhere else recently, it's the mirror scene in Contact. It's a fancy trick that I think lends a lot to the feeling of the scene without distracting from it. I still can't figure out how it's done either.

great shot that, I think its two shots blended with cgi but I'm not sure, its one of those things when you first see it you dont quite catch what its doing as it its so subtle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

krudler wrote: »
    great shot that, I think its two shots blended with cgi but I'm not sure, its one of those things when you first see it you dont quite catch what its doing as it its so subtle.
    There's a point in that video about 22-25 seconds in where the girl looks like she is running on the spot - I imagine the cut is thereabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 TheBoyII

Yeah that clip from Contact was CGI, there's a lot of CGI in it, but it's used correctly, Not in a stupid Michael Bay way but in a way that can be used for making it interesting and for backgrounds.

Delighted to see this thread though, so much so that I made an account! There are so many movies out there with absolutely amazing cinematography, Paul Thomas Anderson's films has absolutely mind blowing cinematography, Boogie Nights and Magnolia were done in the same style as Goodfellas. Also definitely check out Gaspar Noe's films, Enter The Void and Irreversible especially.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I just watched All About Lily Chou-Chou, and thought it had the most imaginative nighttime cinematography. Filmed as if through night vision goggles, but with the characters illuminated by bright torches. Similar effect is used in 'found footage films', but here it further enhances the overall visual identity of the piece. It's a really hypnotic and effective stylistic choice, and it actually is a clever way to counteract the inevitable grain that goes alongside filming digitally at night.

Michael Manns stuff is usually outstanding, I love the opening of Ali, the movie itself isnt great, has some good moments but overall its a bit of a mess, but the opening few minutes are great, backed by a killer Sam Cooke track

was ballsy from Mann to use digital video in a period piece in the 60's, it works though.the shot of the speedbag at 2.40 is fantastic.It crams a ton of exposition into a 10 minute sequence too.

I love Manns ability to frame a shot like its completely accidental when its anything but, Collateral, Heat, Miami Vice all have it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Orson Welles: A Touch of Evil

The opening scene runs to more than three minutes: no edits. Amazing.

I love long takes myself, Touch of Evil has a fantastic one. PTA, Tarantino and Scorsese use them amazingly too. Yeah Michael Mann does incredible stuff, the ending shot of heat is absolutely astonishing I think. All About Lily Chou-Chou has been on my list for a while, must watch. Chung-King Express is meant to be amazing also.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Another Tony Jaa video, this one is a 4 minute long single take as he fights his way to the top of a building.

Quite amazing the amount of work involved from everyone for this shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Love the use of colour in Amelie and City of Lost Children, beautiful to look at. Lots of clever camera work in both those films too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

stevenmu wrote: »
    I saw this linked somewhere else recently, it's the mirror scene in Contact.

That and the stadium shot from The Secret In Their Eyes are the ones that leaped to my mind.

The Contact one also reminds me of the bathroom scene from La haine, so simple but so well executed.

And since I just love a good tracking shot:

LOVE that La Haine scene, you hardly even notice it when you're watching it, so good. That Atonement tracking shot is incredible also. Amiéle is a fantastic looking movie, but didn't do anything for me as a film, I was surprised by that even! Though yeah, cinematography and colour in that and City of Lost Children is incredible. Very cartoonish. Love the steam-punk style in his films, check out Delicatessen, same creators.

For both insanely good cinematography, great tracking shots and probably the best use of colour ever used on film, I would look for Peter Greenway's The Cook, The Thief, His Wife & Her Lover. The entire film was colour coded and shot in a MASSIVE warehouse. Like a play in some ways. But he had every room symbolised with colours.

Outdoors
    Kitchen
    Hospital
    Toilets (White)
    Dining Room

He would even make the protagonists clothes change when they went from room to room, You'd blink and miss it.

One of the fantastic scenes using the colour and change of colour throughout. Brilliant score too, and the scenes are shot very symmetrical, highly inspired by Kubrick as you will see in the toilet there.

Amazing tracking shot that also very subtly shows how their clothes change to match the rooms, also shows you how it almost looks like a massive play on a stage.

That's enough nattering out of me anyway, enjoy :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anything that uses CGI to achieve the "effect" should probably be disqualified ;)

Wouldn't be a technique thread without something from Kubrick, no action - just candle light

Advertisement