Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! A newspaper hasn't used my image without paying me

Options
  • 13-06-2012 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Can someone please help me. I have a photogrpahy website, post photos on Facebook, enter photograph competitions (where I'm signing away my photo). But NO newspaper, media company, website have used any of my images.

What am I doing wrong? Should I send them a strongly worded letter asking what's wrong with my images and threaten legal action if they don't begin to appreciate my images and want to use them?

Cheers,
    Pa.

p.s. this isn't mocking people who have this issue in real life, just an attempt to post a bit of fun into the forum (after reading Paddy's losing interest in photography forum

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

^^^^^^

Brilliant

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

dinneenp wrote: »
    I have a photogrpahy website, post photos on Facebook, enter photograph competitions (where I'm signing away my photo).
    ^^^ Heres your problem. You are TOO well known and the media feel that your images are now so commonplace that they have no publishing appeal. You should delete everything your have online and remove everything from exhibition. When none of your images are available then you'll see the offers of "We can give you exposure" flood in.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Next they will send you an invoice which will be lower than their published rates.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

That's a very common problem. I'm in the same boat, the Irish Times didn't use any of mine either today.

I thick we should form a lobby group with a witty acronym - suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

That's a very common problem. I'm in the same boat, the Irish Times didn't use any of mine either today.

Togs Against Copyright Trust (TACT)

• Advertisement

Photographers Resisting Internet & Analogue Copyright Honesty (PREACH)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Photographers Resisting Internet & Analogue Copyright Honesty (PREACH)

oh your good!

May i also say that my fingers are worn to the bone checking out my images on tineye. not a sausage! I feel descriminated against.

or Photographers Retaining Intellectual & Copyright Keeping Society or .....PRICKS for short :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Hi,
    Can someone please help me. I have a photogrpahy website, post photos on Facebook, enter photograph competitions (where I'm signing away my photo). But NO newspaper, media company, website have used any of my images.

What am I doing wrong?

Or maybe it's time to realise that your photos are just not good enough. ;)

Maybe you should post some in here for C&C so we can help you produce images worth them taking to use?? :D

:P

or Photographers Retaining Intellectual & Copyright Keeping Society or .....PRICKS for short :)

But wasn't your lobby group against the preservation of copyright - which of us has our logic the wrong way round?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Copyright Underdogs Never Tire... Shizzle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Sooo...Trooney...what would be the abbreviation for your group then...???:eek:

Even though I like your ideas..I'm sad. Very sad. Cos I can't join! :( The Irish times did print one of my pics. And paid me. And credited me :(:(

But...maybe...MAYBE...once counts as none, yes?? :confused:

trooney wrote: »
    Copyright Underdogs Never Tire... Shizzle

I think my group and your's should get together sometime.....just so we can have some input into your agenda......:p

I think my group and your's should get together sometime.....just so we can have some input into your agenda......:p

Guys

I think your groups, if merged, could result in some over exposure. I think you should let things develop more naturally, elimate the negative aspects of the conflict, give some thought to framing your constitution, otherwise we may end up having to bring down the shutters on the conversation and reel you in :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭inkedpt

Guys

I think your groups, if merged, could result in some over exposure. I think you should let things develop more naturally, elimate the negative aspects of the conflict, give some thought to framing your constitution, otherwise we may end up having to bring down the shutters on the conversation and reel you in :-)

Didn't understand a word but I love the technicality of the text

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Guys

Agreed. Merging the groups would give better focus, and we could mount a stronger challenge to the established media, who refuse to use our pictures & then not pay for them. I wonder if we should use flash mobs to draw attention to our cause? Of course, if the plan backfired it'd be curtains. I know we are in a bit of a fix, transparency will be key

i will stop now....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If you stick your photos over pictures in the paper, you can go down to the papers office and trick them into thinking they used your photos. It's very important to do the "show me the money" routine from Jerry Maguire as a distraction.

FoxT wrote: »
    Agreed. Merging the groups would give better focus, and we could mount a stronger challenge to the established media, who refuse to use our pictures & then not pay for them. I wonder if we should use flash mobs to draw attention to our cause? Of course, if the plan backfired it'd be curtains. I know we are in a bit of a fix, transparency will be key

i will stop now....

Why stop, when you are on a roll? Is it fear of getting your fingers burned. Have a little courage and you can easily dodge the backlash from pushing our inferior photos on the media. But be cautious as the Holistic Digital Rights (HDR) approach will not go down well with eveyone.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Hi,

What am I doing wrong? Should I send them a strongly worded letter asking what's wrong with my images and threaten legal action if they don't begin to appreciate my images and want to use them?

Cheers,
    Pa.

p.s. this isn't mocking people who have this issue in real life, just an attempt to post a bit of fun into the forum (after reading Paddy's losing interest in photography forum
    Hate to be the one to say this Pa, but your photos are crap...

Have you thought about knitting, or collecting stamps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

...the Holistic Digital Rights (HDR) .....

First time EVER that I liked to see HDR.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Why stop, when you are on a roll? Is it fear of getting your fingers burned. Have a little courage and you can easily dodge the backlash from pushing our inferior photos on the media. But be cautious as the Holistic Digital Rights (HDR) approach will not go down well with eveyone.....

nice to see a light hearted thread in here. I Leica! All this talk of nikon photographs can get heated at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Bring back Oriel!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Bring back Oriel!

Oh he's not too far.................................................

;)

Advertisement