Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour of Switzerland - spoiler tags must be used

Options
  • 09-06-2012 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

Started today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

A good ride from Roche in the prologue. Just 31 seconds off the winner and the same time as Gesink.

He wasn't shown on Eurosport, though he was one of the quickest in the first split. The course was up and down, the first sector up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

yeh saw that time for roche, saw an article saying hes been practicing and doing wind tunnel tests, maybe its working

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

yeah very good prologue by Nico. He got the same time also as Valverde and he beat Danielson. Hopefully it is a sign of things to come.

The prologue course was quite tough & technical, which is great to see. The descent from the climb was very narrow at certain places. Fantastic performance from Sagan, and it's also good to see Spartacus back in action!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Nico 5th on GP after todays hill finish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Good ride by Nico, kept his pace and didnt waste energy on an attack that wouldnt stick and then finished strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

He got the same time also as Valverde and he beat Danielson.
    MASSIVE change of attitude towards TTs by him/Ag2r. About bloody time. He's had this this result in him for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

And what a result today! Great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

I think it'd be easy to overstate Roche's result in the prologue. There was a significant climb on it and, on the basis of yesterday, he appears to have the legs in the mountains. He was about 6th or so on the first part of the course, which was mostly uphill, losing time on the downhill and flat section.

Great ride yesterday. No reason why he can't go for the overall win now, though his team seems to be a man short with John "me fein" Gadret doing his own thing.

Highlights of the last km of Stage 2 are on NBC (it's not geo-restricted) - Linky.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Aln_S

Can anyone confirm where Nico is in the GC now? AG2R tweeted that he is 5th overall and Gadret in 8th, but Steephill shows him in 10th 2:13 down and cycling news doesn't show him in the top 10 at all :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Official overall standings here after the 3rd stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Passes my office today, come on Nico!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

that NBC link is brillant. finish to stage 3 was unreal. i can only imagine the carnage if that was an A4 race. how they stayed upright is beyond me.

Peter Sagan is having a phenomenal 2012!
    3 wins out of 4 stages in the Tour of Switzerland along with ... (*deep breath*) ... stage wins in the Tour of Oman, Tirenno-Adriatico, Three Days of De Panne; a whopping 5 stage wins in the Tour of California; and 4th in Milan- San Remo, 2nd in Gent-Wevelgem, 5th in the Tour of Flanders, and 3rd in the Amstel Gold Race!!!
    It will be fascinating watching him in the Tour de France.

Cracking win from Sagan. I didn't think he would after he got fairly cozy with the barriers!
    Roll on the TT and mountains now!

Today is a good opportunity to see Nico Roche TT'ing. He starts 5th last, so he should get a decent amount of TV coverage.
    He will probably lose a few places in the GC to some better TT'ers such as Leipheimer, Valverde and Danielson. But he should definitely beat Gadret, and give Frank Schleck a good run for his money. It's a fairly lumpy profile today.
    Eurosport don't seem to have live coverage because of tennis (as per usual!), but there are highlights on from 4.30-6pm.
    Official live stage ticker here.

Last 10 starters (times are GMT):

15:12:00 DANIELSON Tom GRM
    15:14:00 NIEVE Mikel EUS
    15:16:00 GADRET John ALM
    15:18:00 VALVERDE Alejandro MOV
    15:20:00 LÖVKVIST Thomas SKY
    15:22:00 ROCHE Nicolas ALM
    15:24:00 PINOT Thibaut FDJ
    15:26:00 KREUZIGER Roman AST
    15:28:00 SCHLECK Frank RNT
    15:30:00 FARIA DA COSTA Rui Alberto MOV
    Current fastest time is from who else but Cancellara!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Eurosport don't seem to have live coverage because of tennis (as per usual!), but there are highlights on from 4.30-6pm.

Last 10 starters (times are GMT):

15:12:00 DANIELSON Tom GRM
    15:14:00 NIEVE Mikel EUS
    15:16:00 GADRET John ALM
    15:18:00 VALVERDE Alejandro MOV
    15:20:00 LÖVKVIST Thomas SKY
    15:22:00 ROCHE Nicolas ALM
    15:24:00 PINOT Thibaut FDJ
    15:26:00 KREUZIGER Roman AST
    15:28:00 SCHLECK Frank RNT
    15:30:00 FARIA DA COSTA Rui Alberto MOV

[

Given the diff between BST and CET, I think that ES are starting live coverage at the time the yellow jersey starts his run (15:30 CET/16:30 BST), hence we should see all top 10 finishes, no?

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Given the diff between BST and CET, I think that ES are starting live coverage at the time the yellow jersey starts his run (15:30 CET/16:30 BST), hence we should see all top 10 finishes, no?

I was a bit confused by the times myself :o
    But Nico has just started his TT, and Rui Costa will be starting in a few minutes. However the Eurosport programme starts at 4.30 so the stage will be over by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭buffalo

Hasn't mentioned Roche once, though he's started and has passed at least the first intermediary line at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

buffalo wrote: »
    Hasn't mentioned Roche once, though he's started and has passed at least the first intermediary line at this point.

All the coverage is crap, the Swiss TV is like trying to unravel a cryptic crossword, it cuts here there and everywhere and only shwos the odd rider passing a split time. The ticker is crap.

Just caught it on video...

Roche at second intermediary: 33:57
    Fastest time at second so far: 32:25

Nico is currently about 36th fastest through the 2nd time point (~22km), roughly about 1min 30sec behind the fastest time, with 3 riders still to pass through. He had quite a dodgy moment going through a 90 degree left turn. The back wheel slid a bit and he lost a lot of momentum when correcting the slide.

Frank Schleck and Rui Costa were about 30 seconds and 1 minute faster than Nico respectively at the 2nd Intermediate time point.

Roche at 48:48, 40th place so far.

46:36 for Kessiakoff, so +2:12 for Nico :/

Provisional Classification after Stage 7:
    1. Rui Faria Da Costa - 26h 10min 55sec
    2. Roman Kreuziger - 50sec
    3. Robert Gesink - 55sec
    4. Alejandro Valverde - 1min 4sec
    5. Frank Schleck - 1min 4sec
    6. Tom Danielson - 1min 12sec
    7. Levi Leipheimer - 1min 15sec
    8. Vladamir Gusev - 1min 17sec
    9. Thomas Lovkvist - 1min 22sec
    10. Steven Kruijswik - 1min 27sec

Nico is 1min 52sec back I think

No live coverage on Eurosport today :mad:
    *shakes fist*

It's a very tough finish today. The last 32km are all uphill baby! :pac:
    With 72km left, a group of 4 riders (Velits (OPQ), Dekker (GRM), Albasini (OGE), Cusin (TT1)) have a 7:06 lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

25km left and the peloton is looking very small. I guesstimate less than 20 riders in there. Most of the main guys are still in there apart from Gadret and Kloden. Leader Rui Costa is hanging on at the very back of the bunch. Nico is keeping up near the front. Rabbobank are controlling the tempo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

25km left and the peloton is looking very small. I guesstimate less than 20 riders in there. Most of the main guys are still in there apart from Gadret and Kloden. Leader Rui Costa is hanging on at the very back of the bunch. Nico is keeping up near the front. Rabbobank are controlling the tempo.

Can anyone PM me workable tv links.
    The usual ones on steephill, are full of spam, or have been blocked by my laptop security as being full of malware etc.

Advertisement