Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools want to drop LC physics, chemistry, economics

Options
  • 04-04-2012 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Religion maybe, Irish is a cultural thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Em... why complain about them dropping those courses instead of others as opposed to not having the funds available to maintain them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

The OP is an anarcho-capitalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Dunno. My school didn't do biology. But it did physics and chemistry.

It would be annoying if they stopped teaching a subject when you were doing it. My school also cut a language out after i did it in first year. Felt like a year wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Perhaps those subjects have the lowest number of students studying them?

Regardless I think it's stupid. Drop Irish and Religion like you said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Don't agree with either of these choices. Studying Religion is akin to learning about History or Geography. It's an important humanities subject. Irish, while questionable whether it should be compulsory or not, is still our native language and must be made an option.

The real answer is none of these subjects should be dropped. Dropping any of the Sciences is criminal. So anybody who attends these schools would have no chance of ever becoming a Doctor or a Pharmacist etc. Economics is also essential as it teaches people how the world really works.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I'd rather they didn't have to drop any subjects at all.

Ideally, schools should offer a range of subjects, not only those which have an economic function.

Maybe we should look at refunding schools so they don't have to consider dropping subjects at all.

I can understand that subjects that require labs would be more expensive to run than purely classroom based ones but why accounting and economics?

I thought there were too many business studies/commerce graduates going into teaching and that there shouldn't be a shortage of teachers.

Edit: I think schools in general should provide as wide a range of subject choices as possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Save your faux rage, if you had your way all education would be privatised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

definitely drop religion and maybe classical studies and music. if im correct not one person did either in last years LC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That physics is a load of nonsense I kicked a ball of concrete into low orbit this morning then walked through the kitchen wall and boiled the kettle using only my inner rage.
    Don't agree with either of these choices. Studying Religion is akin to learning about History or Geography.
    It's too biased and can in no way be seen as historical any more so than the brothers grimm storeys can be seen as historical.

I agree religion is of historical importance and should be studied, but in an unbiased and impartial way which doesn't happen in Irish schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

In a lot of schools there aren't the numbers to do those subjects. It's sad but along with Maths they're the subjects that are constantly held up as examples of "hard" subjects which puts students off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

karma_ wrote: »
    Save your faux rage, if you had your way all education would be privatised.

If it were, students might actually have a full choice of subjects instead of this messing around

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

definitely drop religion and maybe classical studies and music. if im correct not one person did either in last years LC
    Music was taken by over 5000 people last year. Classical studies by over 700.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    I agree religion is of historical importance and should be studied, but in an unbiased and impartial way which doesn't happen in Irish schools.
    Primary school =/= Secondary school

Look at the LC Religion exam papers. There's plenty of scope and choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

bluewolf wrote: »
    If it were, students who can afford it might actually have a full choice of subjects instead of this messing around

FYP

Physics and chemistry we need, economics is only a bunch of pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo anyhow, no better than religion.

*EDIT

I did music for my leaving, was a while ago at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

They can't drop the Science subjects anyway. Seem odd that two Science subjects and two Business subjects were picked, rather than say a language or materials technology, and maybe one from each of the others. Why specifically those subjects?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

bluewolf wrote: »
    If it were, students might actually have a full choice of subjects instead of this messing around

If its privatised that could result in limiting the options available to something that is affordable for the student to take, or even something that would be profitable to operate.

[/scaremongering]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

amacachi wrote: »
    Studying Religion is akin to learning about History or Geography. It's an important humanities subject.

Religion isn't taught in Irish schools as a humanities study - what is taught in the vast majority of schools is Catholicism which is an entirely different subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Studying Religion is akin to learning about History or Geography. It's an important humanities subject.

Religion isn't taught in Irish schools as a humanities study - what is taught in the vast majority of schools is Catholicism which is an entirely different subject.
    Sorry but you're wrong, unless your talking about primary schools/bogger community schools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Subjects have been dropped by plenty of schools over the last 3 or four years because of this. Teachers in some schools are not even available to teach these subjects and so unqualified teachers get shunted to teach these subject as a result of the surge in retirements over the past few years. The retired teachers are not replaced and so those on permanent contracts are drafted in to teach subjects such as chemistry and economics when they are not really qualified too. The system is flawed. Chemistry and Economics rarely has a large uptake either in many schools as students orientate toward biology and business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

They can't drop the Science subjects anyway. Seem odd that two Science subjects and two Business subjects were picked, rather than say a language or materials technology, and maybe one from each of the others. Why specifically those subjects?

Because they're probably the least subscribed of the "mainstream" subjects. And what are you talking about that they can't drop the science subjects? Some years in my school there were no chemistry classes and in the school next to us there were years with no economics, physics or chemistry. Hell schools are giving kids the choice at the end of first year about continuing science.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Getronicle

I did music last year and so did plenty of others, as mentioned by another poster.

Removing science subjects is ridiculous. How about encouraging students who are going to choose construction studies as a subject to pick physics or chemistry instead? Would seem more reasonable now that there's not much construction happening in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

People can learn about religion in Churches in they like, free of charge. But I'd feel that way, regardless of the funding. But there is nowhere to learn Irish outside of school in a similar manner. It should be preserved as a core cultural subject which is unique to our island. If we don't preserve it, nobody will.

Neither however should be made a scapegoat for the lack of funding. That's the real issue here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

It's cool, we done so well being scientifically illiterate for centuries. The "good" book will dig us out of this mess.

Depends on the teacher, how old they are is definetly a factor. The syllabus for non-exam students resembles SPHE. They could do away with in my opinion, having an exam on religion is a farce in my opinion, and if it's not an exam subject then students have no interest in it. Certainly if it was a choice between any of the 4 subjects listed and religion, it would be the first to go for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    Sorry but you're wrong, unless your talking about primary schools/bogger community schools.

90% of the schools in Ireland are run by the Catholic church - you might dismiss them as "bogger community schools", but they form the vast majority of schools in which our children are educated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

You can complete the entire exam without so much as mentioning Christianity if you so desired.

I know having a popular rant and getting thanked for it is great... but sometimes knowing what you're talking about can save a lot of embarrassment.

Because they're probably the least subscribed of the "mainstream" subjects. And what are you talking about that they can't drop the science subjects? Some years in my school there were no chemistry classes and in the school next to us there were years with no economics, physics or chemistry. Hell schools are giving kids the choice at the end of first year about continuing science.

Yeah but you coul move school if you wanted to do a particular subject. If they remove them altogether, then what can you do?

And is science not compulsory for the junior cert?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

The OP is an anarcho-capitalist.

And clearly it follows from this announcement that service levels suffering because of a lack of funding is clearly the fault of the schools, teachers, and unions, and especially public sector inefficiency rather than being a logical consequence of reduced funding.

Lemme guess, privatisiation is what they need. Worked so well for Eircom, after all.

Advertisement