Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus - Effective Complaints

Options
  • 14-02-2012 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a fairly big complaint regarding a garage manager in Dublin Bus. Afaik he's the manager of 2 garages. There's obviously no point in complaining to either of his garages. There is a general complaints email address for Dublin Bus, however, I feel given the personal level at which my complaint is based, I'd much rather speak to his superior.

Can anyone advise me on how best to voice my complaint?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

bury it inside you and feel bitter about it forever, it'll still accomplish more than complaining to DB, who will laugh about it and delete it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hi all,

I have a fairly big complaint regarding a garage manager in Dublin Bus. Afaik he's the manager of 2 garages. There's obviously no point in complaining to either of his garages. There is a general complaints email address for Dublin Bus, however, I feel given the personal level at which my complaint is based, I'd much rather speak to his superior.

I would start by using the general complaint email but copy the email to the NTA and Dept of Transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭snugglebear

I made a complaint via email to Dublin Bus a few weeks ago about a service not running at the scheduled times and sometimes not turing up at all.

A few days later I received a generic response about roster issues and staff shortages- it did seem as though it was just copied off a template.

I had a similar thing with Bus Eireann about 2 years ago and it was the same story.

Both complaints I made didn't seem to do any good

• Registered Users Posts: 17,551 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

To be fair that has been a problem with several of the new timetables - the running time has been far too tight. Getting the timetables fixed tends to be a laborious process.

However, they appear to be addressing them viz. the recent changes to the 13 timetable should address the reliability issues on that route.

OP - If you feel your complaint is of a personal nature I would suggest sending it to Paddy Doherty, Chief Executive, Dublin Bus, 59 Upper O'Connell Street, Dublin 1.

I fail to see the need to bring in the NTA or the DoT - they have nothing to do with the day to day operations of Dublin Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,692 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If you want to make a serious complaint about anything, ever, to anyone, do NOT use email.

Put it on paper.

To find out who to send it to, ring up the head office, and tell the receptionist that you need to send a letter to XXX's manager, and ask who that is and what address to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

JustMary wrote: »
    If you want to make a serious complaint about anything, ever, to anyone, do NOT use email.

Put it on paper.

To find out who to send it to, ring up the head office, and tell the receptionist that you need to send a letter to XXX's manager, and ask who that is and what address to use.

And send it via recorded delivery for your piece of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

lxflyer wrote: »
    To be fair that has been a problem with several of the new timetables - the running time has been far too tight. Getting the timetables fixed tends to be a laborious process.

However, they appear to be addressing them viz. the recent changes to the 13 timetable should address the reliability issues on that route.

OP - If you feel your complaint is of a personal nature I would suggest sending it to Paddy Doherty, Chief Executive, Dublin Bus, 59 Upper O'Connell Street, Dublin 1.

I fail to see the need to bring in the NTA or the DoT - they have nothing to do with the day to day operations of Dublin Bus.

If something that breaches the contract with the NTA is the issue then obviously it is a matter for the NTA. To say that day to day operations are not within their (NTA's) concern is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

If something that breaches the contract with the NTA is the issue then obviously it is a matter for the NTA. To say that day to day operations are not within their (NTA's) concern is wrong.

OP says it's a complaint about a garage manager, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

lxflyer wrote: »

Thats and typical dublin bus solution: Not meeting your targets? Just lower the bar until you do!

Wish i could get away with that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Philip Donohue is Head of HR at Dublin Bus accroding to this recent article.
    http://www.herald.ie/news/next-stop-25-as-dublin-bus-and-dart-prepare-for-silver-jubilee-celebrations-3002763.html

• Advertisement

Well by the sounds of the original post it is nothing of that nature.

Hence I query why you would copy in the NTA or DoT?

Bambi wrote: »
    Thats and typical dublin bus solution: Not meeting your targets? Just lower the bar until you do!

Wish i could get away with that :pac:

The original timetable proved impossible to operate due to the running times being too tight. Therefore there were lots of short workings and frankly the service was not acceptable. It should never have happened in the first place that an undeliverable schedule was put into operation.

However, a new set of rosters is now in operation with revised running times which should mean that the published timetable actually operates.

Now which would you prefer? Retaining a public timetable that is impossible to deliver or one that actually works?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭rx8

As stated above, put it in writing and post it to;

Mr.Paddy Doherty, Chief Executive, Dublin Bus,59 Upper O'Connell Street,Dublin 1.

Don't mind sending it to anyone else, as it will be pushed around from Philo to Johnny and back again and you will not get anywhere.

Dublin Bus are obliged to reply to all written material within a set time limit, (15 days I think), so you should receive a reply from the chief exec. personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ani..

Oh I think that is one of the worst service operating companies, and the only reason they get away with everything like rude drivers, not stopping on the bus stop, bus not arrived, late, delay, charging based on the bus stops which differ from area to area is because it is still really monopolistic company, and all management based on it. There fore they are 'setting prices' and 'rules' and client have nothing to say. There is not really complain department and the driver doesn't have any identification number or anything so you can't complain about this customer service operator and they well know about it. Can you imagine that any of us working in customer service would treat customer like many ( not all ) of the Dublin Bus drivers do? We would be on the doors faster than wind.
    I love Luas service and there management is super unfortunately it have only couple routes. Hopefully in few years Luas will take over or some other bus service company will get on the market and then bye bye Dublin Bus, because I believe that many people would choose different alternative if they only have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Hi all,

Two garages, Divisional manager?
    Most likely has family in the system on all levels ~ go to the NTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,341 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

This thread was dormant for a year and was then revived by a first-time poster with an axe to grind. It needs to be closed.

Why doesn't boards lock down dormant threads automatically? What happens time and time again is that a newbie finds a thread in a search and posts in it, only for a mod to close it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

ani.. wrote: »
    Oh I think that is one of the worst service operating companies, and the only reason they get away with everything like rude drivers, not stopping on the bus stop, bus not arrived, late, delay, charging based on the bus stops which differ from area to area is because it is still really monopolistic company, and all management based on it. There fore they are 'setting prices' and 'rules' and client have nothing to say. There is not really complain department and the driver doesn't have any identification number or anything so you can't complain about this customer service operator and they well know about it. Can you imagine that any of us working in customer service would treat customer like many ( not all ) of the Dublin Bus drivers do? We would be on the doors faster than wind.
    I love Luas service and there management is super unfortunately it have only couple routes. Hopefully in few years Luas will take over or some other bus service company will get on the market and then bye bye Dublin Bus, because I believe that many people would choose different alternative if they only have a choice.

Post somewhere else as this is dormant for a year & has nothing at all to do with what you are saying.
    The op was looking for advice for how to deal with a problem inside the company.

I would love to see how happy you would be if Dublin Bus was privatised as free travel would definitely be gone and only the profitable routes would be kept.
    As your saying about drivers should have numbers or ways to be identified you are already well aware of how to go down the complaints road from what I have seen you write.
    The all sorts of people that these drivers have to carry is unbelievable and the abuse they get on a daily basis do you really think they are going to give out any sort of details name etc.

Mods please shut this page down thanks.

Post somewhere else as this is dormant for a year & has nothing at all to do with what you are saying.
    The op was looking for advice for how to deal with a problem inside the company.

I would love to see how happy you would be if Dublin Bus was privatised as free travel would definitely be gone and only the profitable routes would be kept.
    As your saying about drivers should have numbers or ways to be identified you are already well aware of how to go down the complaints road from what I have seen you write.
    The all sorts of people that these drivers have to carry is unbelievable and the abuse they get on a daily basis do you really think they are going to give out any sort of details name etc.

You probably have right but that is the closes subject match I found so far, if you will find better please let me know. And regarding your replay.
    I am not travelling for free myself, but I understand that there is need for free travel and I can assure you that even if the company is privatised there can be still free passes eg. medical cards patients can choose pretty much any private practitioner. That's regarding privatisation which I really did not talk about. I am talking about fare competition so the Dublin Bus will have to accommodate to changes and increase service standards for their expensive tickets so at least you know what you pay for and you are not treated like : comply with or f..c off attitude as it seems to be the case sometimes. Majority of people don't really choose Dublin Bus as a choice of transport they get in because they don't have another choice which doesn't have to be the case. Regarding drivers I understand that they don't have easy job, but who have this days, everyone have to deal with rude public if that is boss or customer there is no excuse for some drivers behaviour. They act that way cause they know they can get away with it . I know also very polite and nice drivers which I believe take passengers too, that is not really excuse to abuse the client? Would you agree? In every place I worked if somebody ask you for your name or identification number we had to provide it-simple as, its doesn't have to be name, surname, DOB, your telephone number etc. that is ridiculous idea- simple number or anything which company can recognising the employee for, is that to much for you? Why? Of course single complain is not taking seriously by any company but the series of would be the one which company look at. And by the way why would you like moderator to shut this page down? People have right to be treated with respect in any place and have right to share their opinions. Don't you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

You probably have right but that is the closes subject match I found so far, if you will find better please let me know. And regarding your replay.
    I am not travelling for free myself, but I understand that there is need for free travel and I can assure you that even if the company is privatised there can be still free passes eg. medical cards patients can choose pretty much any private practitioner. That's regarding privatisation which I really did not talk about. I am talking about fare competition so the Dublin Bus will have to accommodate to changes and increase service standards for their expensive tickets so at least you know what you pay for and you are not treated like : comply with or f..c off attitude as it seems to be the case sometimes. Majority of people don't really choose Dublin Bus as a choice of transport they get in because they don't have another choice which doesn't have to be the case. Regarding drivers I understand that they don't have easy job, but who have this days, everyone have to deal with rude public if that is boss or customer there is no excuse for some drivers behaviour. They act that way cause they know they can get away with it . I know also very polite and nice drivers which I believe take passengers too, that is not really excuse to abuse the client? Would you agree? In every place I worked if somebody ask you for your name or identification number we had to provide it-simple as, its doesn't have to be name, surname, DOB, your telephone number etc. that is ridiculous idea- simple number or anything which company can recognising the employee for, is that to much for you? Why? Of course single complain is not taking seriously by any company but the series of would be the one which company look at. And by the way why would you like moderator to shut this page down? People have right to be treated with respect in any place and have right to share their opinions. Don't you think?
    All you need is the bus number whatever that might be and the time of any incident, the number will be displayed usually above the windscreen near the door of the bus. you can also just get the registration of the bus but you do not need to interact with any driver at all to make a formal complaint about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

I made a complaint via email to Dublin Bus a few weeks ago about a service not running at the scheduled times and sometimes not turing up at all.

It's not the 47 by any chance, is it?

It's timetabled to run every half hour, but actually only runs once an hour and I waited 2 hours and 45 minutes this week in UCD for one to show up (both checking bus stop and on the live tracker) before calling someone to drive in and collect me!

It's every other day that it happens, very common for the last 2 years I've been in UCD. Doing an Economics degree and I can say BY FAR the most difficult part of my degree has been getting to and from college. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

coylemj wrote: »
    This thread was dormant for a year and was then revived by a first-time poster with an axe to grind. It needs to be closed.

Why doesn't boards lock down dormant threads automatically? What happens time and time again is that a newbie finds a thread in a search and posts in it, only for a mod to close it down.
    That's a mad idea, what happens if e.g. the original poster wanted to provide an update for what happened? They've to start a new thread and perhaps link to the old one instead of replying? It's difficult to search for topics in older threads at the best of times without encouraging an even greater duplication of threads on the same topic, with time the only difference.

Obviously in this case this post wasn't relevant. So surely the solution is to delete the post and warn/ban the poster? An old post doesn't make it automatically irrelevant to the thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

to answer your post ani. dublin bus take every complaint seriously, when a complaint is made the driver is always called in to explain their actions. and how people do this is using the i.d. number of a bus e.g. AV,AX.EV,VT etc. , time and place it was at. all this is displayed above the entrance doors inside and on the left hand side of the front bumper. this is all the information you need, once you have this any dublin bus driver can be identified.
    In every place I worked if somebody ask you for your name or identification number we had to provide it-simple as, its doesn't have to be name, surname, DOB, your telephone number etc. that is ridiculous idea- simple number or anything which company can recognising the employee for, is that to much for you? Why? Of course single complain is not taking seriously by any company but the series of would be the one which company look at.
    a bus driver does not have to give their name. a simple reason is drivers tend to get alot of abuse, there is nothing to stop someone ringing up inquiring about a named driver them waiting for them when they finish their shift. they are only obliged to give their staff number and the bus number nothing more. this will never change.
    there are plenty of companies both public and private where their employees are not obliged to give their names either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Is this a classic example of back-seat moderation?

Maybe you could become a mod yourself instead of doing the job of others for them.

to answer your post ani. dublin bus take every complaint seriously, when a complaint is made the driver is always called in to explain their actions. and how people do this is using the i.d. number of a bus e.g. AV,AX.EV,VT etc. , time and place it was at. all this is displayed above the entrance doors inside and on the left hand side of the front bumper. this is all the information you need, once you have this any dublin bus driver can be identified.

a bus driver does not have to give their name. a simple reason is drivers tend to get alot of abuse, there is nothing to stop someone ringing up inquiring about a named driver them waiting for them when they finish their shift. they are only obliged to give their staff number and the bus number nothing more. this will never change.
    there are plenty of companies both public and private where their employees are not obliged to give their names either.

You see the problem is that this bus driver which I am talking about didn't provide me with his staff number when asked for and told me that he doesn't have to give me any details. Staff number that is all what I asked for. But now I know that I should take bus series number if I can find it in the bus - hopefully I won't have to do this ever. On the main time I am avoiding Dublin Bus service as much as I can. I even got myself bike :) and in general waking more now. So this experience may actually work better for me.. Anyway thank you for your helpful replay guys which I received.

Advertisement