Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-01-2012, 10:37   #1

Ash vac from Lidl this Thurs

Wonder if these have been out before, any folks have one that can testify as to whether they've any suction power at all?

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl...ndex_17262.htm

I saw a similar yoke in the local hardware shop recently selling for up on €80, there must be a difference
Advertisement
24-01-2012, 11:04   #2
Alun

You can also get just the ash collecting part of that setup for a lot less, assuming you already have a vacuum cleaner of some sort. There's just a plain lid, without the motorized part, and you stick the nozzle of your vacuum cleaner in a hole in the top. Lidl have those too from time to time, or else I've seen them in Woodies too.
15-10-2012, 14:55   #3
tinofapples

Send a message via MSN to tinofapples Send a message via Yahoo to tinofapples Send a message via Skype™ to tinofapples
There's only a 500w motor in it, I priced one in a local hardware shop on Saturday, De Ville with 1200w motor for €69.99. I'll be paying the bit extra !!
26-10-2012, 11:55   #4
ronan45

Are these ash vacs any use? Would have thought its as quick to just dump the cold ashes in a bag instead of getting the vack out etc and ataching this doofer up to it?
26-10-2012, 21:19   #5
paddy147
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronan45 View Post
Are these ash vacs any use? Would have thought its as quick to just dump the cold ashes in a bag instead of getting the vack out etc and ataching this doofer up to it?

Buy a DeVille or Stanley 1200w 18 litre ash vac in any builders providers for 70 euro.

The Lidl/Aldi ones are pretty useless,dont have the power/suction to lift up much.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-10-2012, 18:52   #6
Raiser

Just wondering are these a good buy? Someone told me once they use paper filters which the sharp cinders tend to pierce holes in and then the whole lot goes pear-shaped?

Is there ones with a washable cartridge type filter that you can just feck into the washing machine every few weeks etc? Hate the thought of buying paper filters.....

- Also if you have a specific make/model you've used for a bit and are happy with it I'd appreciate the recommendation.
28-10-2012, 21:08   #7
DI Dwyer

wouldn't use a VAC to clean ashes unless it had a HEPA filter.....and they are expensive!. Without a HEPA you are exhausting micro (or bigger) particles of ash into the room........ You could say the same for any standard hoover and that is why I installed a central VAC system which exhausts outside the house...
30-01-2014, 14:50   #8
Jolly1

I bought a Lidl ash vacuum cleaner this morning and have just tried it out. The problem that I encountered immediately was that the filter clogged up with briquette ash. However, it cleaned the grate fairly thoroughly. Cleaning the filter is awkward but achievable with a hand brush. Read the instructions carefully, empty and clean the thing outside. A garden is essential. Wear old clothes. It may work better with wood or coal ash.
30-01-2014, 21:57   #9
byte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly1 View Post
I bought a Lidl ash vacuum cleaner this morning and have just tried it out. The problem that I encountered immediately was that the filter clogged up with briquette ash. However, it cleaned the grate fairly thoroughly. Cleaning the filter is awkward but achievable with a hand brush. Read the instructions carefully, empty and clean the thing outside. A garden is essential. Wear old clothes. It may work better with wood or coal ash.
God, that seems an awful amount of bother.

I'd like to get my hands on one of those metal boxes with a lid, that you place your ashpan into, close the lid and take it outside, without fear of ashes blowing around the place. Still need to deal with the loose ash around the fireplace though... meh.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion