Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

tornado in kerry

• 17-12-2011 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭

Just to let ye know a small tornado hit castleisland in kerry yesterday
    knocked wall blew slates off houses and broke some windows during heavy hail stone

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/search.php

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

djmc wrote: »
    knocked wall blew slates off houses and broke some windows during heavy hail stone

Even if a category 5 hurricane smashed into kerry , i don't care!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Ok:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Actually you would.

A category 5 hurricane in it's very nature would be so big that if it hit Kerry then it would also hit Dublin soon afterwards in which case you would care. Even if it downgraded to a 3 or 4 by the time hit Dublin it would still be strong enough to blow the last of your clearly diminishing social skills out the window:P

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Actually you would.

A category 5 hurricane in it's very nature would be so big that if it hit Kerry then it would also hit Dublin soon afterwards in which case you would care. Even if it downgraded to a 3 or 4 by the time hit Dublin it would still be strong enough to blow the last of your clearly diminishing social skills out the window:P

Could not have put it better myself :D

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Don't feed the troll guys. He has a history of bans for trolling, and he will get another one if he posts like that here again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Even if it downgraded to a 3 or 4 by the time hit Dublin it would still be strong enough to blow the last of your clearly diminishing social skills out the window:P

Nicely done. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Timistry

FFS! mad.gif If karma is anything to go by, your house and a tree would have an intimate accouter!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,322 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

a friend of mines girlfriend is from castleisland and when I told them about this, her parents who live in the town didnt even know about it

And that link has nothing. Are we sure it happened at all lads??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

If you search the link it shows up this
    Castleisland may have been hit by a mini tornado today

It seems Castleisland may have been hit by a mini tornado today. Locals say the severe weather at lunchtime lead to fallen trees and roof slates, and other damage. Meteorologist with Met Eireann, Joanna Donnolly says the thunderstorms and very significant showers could possibly have been a mini tornado.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

There was no sign of this. Spoke to a friends from Castleisland and they knew nothing of it.

Quote:
    Castleisland may have been hit by a mini tornado today

It seems Castleisland may have been hit by a mini tornado today. Locals say the severe weather at lunchtime lead to fallen trees and roof slates, and other damage. Meteorologist with Met Eireann, Joanna Donnolly says the thunderstorms and very significant showers could possibly have been a mini tornado.
    I'm pretty sure a meteorologist wouldn't have said that as it doesn't make any sense, unless the journalist's magic misquote dust was sprinkled over what she said. She probably said "they could have spawned a tornado" - that would make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

It hit near new housing estate across from browns agri not in town center
    Blew down power lines on scart road and heard of hail breaking a car rear window.
    I did not see it but spoke to people who did and I was caught in very large heavy hail a few miles away at the time.
    All cars had lights on as it got very dark almost dusk at arount 1.30pm when hail stopped it brightened up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

What information is needed for a tornado sighting in Ireland to be validated officially?

Someone to have witnessed the actual funnel itself, or video/photographic evidence, and/or a sight survey which will examine the damage pattern to confirm the presence of a funnel. John Tyrell from UCC usually carries out surveys in Ireland. Radar may also confirm it.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

djmc wrote: »

why wouldnt you care? no need to be an ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 1742

http://www.kerryman.ie/news/tornado-leaves-a-trail-of-destruction-2969760.html

Tornado leaves a trail of destruction
    'I just got to door before slates started flying'

Castleisland publican, Tom Mccarthy re-living the town's tornado ordeal which he captured on his mini-camcorder as it was about to touch down at Cahereen Heights at around noon on Friday. INSET: One of Tom Mccarthy's video images of the tornado and... Credit: Photos by John Reidy

Wednesday December 21 2011

A FREAK tornado tore through the centre of Castleisland at lunchtime on Friday last, leaving a trail of destruction in its wake.

The terrifying twister, which measured approximately 100 feet in width, ripped through the town in a matter of minutes, uprooting roof slates, knocking over walls and fences and breaking trees and shrubbery.

The majority of the damage was centred in the Cahereen Heights estate in town, with one local resident describing the phenomenon as one of the most frightening things he had even witnessed. The local man told The

Kerryman that as he made his way from his car to his house, the sky darkened before he was confronted by what appeared to be a tornado.

"To be honest, I don't know what it was but as I made my way into the house I saw this black/purple coloured thing in front of me, shaped like a horse shoe. It was about 50 yards away from me and about 100 ft wide and it took over the whole green [in the estate]. It was about five foot off the ground and the force of it was so intense. "I tried to make my way into the house and could hardly close the door with the force of it," he said.

The terrified man said that although the episode lasted only minutes, he witnessed slates being ripped off roofs and boundary fences being knocked over, before the tornado moved off into the distance.

"It was an extremely frightening experience, especially because I was so close to it. It lifted up over my head and I just got to the door before the slates started flying off the roofs. It also knocked over a strong boundary wall in a nearby house and a car window was also broken by a slate. I have no doubt that if there had been children out playing, they would have been taken away."

Fellow Cahereen Heights resident Tom Mccarthy captured the extraordinary events on his camcorder, after his attention was drawn to the darkening sky and intense hailstone.

The Castleisland publican said he opened the back door to see the tunnel of a tornado in the distance.

"First there was massive hailstone, then the whole place went dark and when I looked out the door and saw the twister. I got my camcorder and jumped up on the child's play house and recorded it as it headed away. It was nearly a quarter of a mile away at that stage but was still huge and it was only afterwards I realised the damage it had done," he said. AS if the budget of the previous week wasn't enough, Castleisland was hit by a tornado on Friday.

It touched down, hit and ran in the space of what seemed like mere seconds to witnesses.

Just like those who compiled the budget, the force hit heartlessly and ruthlessly and left, quite oblivious to the damage in its wake. During its brief encounter it left several households in the Cahereen Heights estate area counting the cost of its destructive visit.

It tore tiles from several roofs in the area and these in turn broke at least one car windscreen. Evidence of its sheer force could be seen clearly in a wall it demolished in the area.

The boundary wall was stoutly built and well pillared with six inch blocks on edge. However, the force of the tornado made light work of it. Further along, and beyond the wall, you could trace the path of destruction as a heavy trampoline could be seen crashed into a boundary wire fence.

The outburst was accompanied by a shower of the biggest hailstones seen in the area in years. One man described them as 'golf balls' another as 'half glownies' – a tilt towards exaggeration of course but they were the size of an average fore-finger nail all the same.

And, apparently, large hailstones are indeed a by product of tornados in other countries.

A woman who lives in Glounsharoon just happened to be looking out the front window of her house and had a ring-side view of Friday's frightening event.

"I saw it coming in along the valley. It was like a big, black cone in the sky. I could see it dipping down into the town and then lifting off into the sky again. It carried on in the sky and came down over somewhere in the Cordal area again," she said.

Another resident of the Cahereens Heights estate said that she saw it lift a packed and heavy industrial refuse bin and push it across the yard.

"It was amazing and anything in my neighbour's yard wasn't even disturbed," she said.

Looking at the trail of damage it left it is a miracle that no one was actually hurt by the tornado. This could possibly be attributed to the unprecedented ferocity of the hailstorm which just preceded it and which would, no doubt, have driven the sane amongst us for cover.

- MARISA REIDY

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

Pity we can't get a look at that guys footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

So rté posted about some whirlwinds but nothing about this

ah sure heres the link
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0829/ballycotton.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6 1742

Video footage of tornado as it leaves the town.....

http://youtu.be/swkH3RoHHMc

• Advertisement
Advertisement