Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street preaching: Is it a useful means of evangelism?

Options
  • 11-12-2011 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭

This has been on my mind as a topic to discuss for a long time.

Since I've moved to London, I've noticed a lot more street preaching in a variety of areas from Speakers Corner in Hyde Park to my local high street on the weekends, or even outside the train station on weekdays as commuters are coming out.

Street preaching is something that I've had mixed opinions on. When I first became a Christian I would say that I would have had a more negative opinion of it than I do now. I would have questioned it's effectiveness, but at the same time I read time and time again in Scripture where street preaching took place. We can look to Paul at the Areopagus in Athens (Acts 17), Peter and the Apostles in Jerusalem and indeed Jesus Himself on numerous occasions.

Do you think street preaching no longer has a purpose in the 21st century, or do you think it has a firm place amongst other forms of evangelism?

Personally, I've warmed up to the idea in recent times. The only reason as far as I can see that street preaching isn't effective is because of the methodologies used in doing so rather than the act itself.

Is street preaching an effective means of evangelism? 32 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    25%
    philologosantiskepticOnesimusSonOfAdamsoterpiscThe Quadratic Equationbonniebedetotus tuus 8 votes
    Other opinion (please elaborate)
    75%
    neuro-praxisSeanehMrPuddingCanis LupusDoc FarrellGLaDOSGenghiz CohenPrincess Consuela BananahammockCavehill RedDoctor DooMStanMcConnellbntfitz0prinzHUNKswiftbladeWereghostrab!dmonkeynumber10aTable Top Joe 24 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

As an atheist who has failed to be converted by the many street preachers I've meet (go figure) street preaching always left me with the impression that it was more for the street preacher than for the people he is trying to educated.

That goes for all street preaching by the way, including atheist street preaching.

Something like the Gideon's putting Bibles in hotel rooms would to my mind seem a better use of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

Street preachers are an annoyance. I don't see anyone but the very impressionable being swung by their sermons, which seem to usually have much of the character of a rant based on misinterpretations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Even when I was a believer I was not keen on the street preacher. I think a large part of that was that I was raised as a catholic and the street preachers in my area of Norn Iron were venomous and nasty protestant preacher who would actively harass and abuse passers by.

Now that I am an atheist I probably have an even lower opinion of them. They always seem to have an air of desperation about them.

As a tool for recruitment / conversion does it actually work? I would have thought that something more personal and less in your face would be more effective.

The Alpha Course, for example, seems to be reasonably successful, though I happen to think that is quite insidious.

MrP

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I don't like being chugged, for money or my soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,262 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think there's a big difference between a chugger and a street preacher.

I don't think they have much of an effect to be honest. I mean, when I see one, my first reaction is, "Oh, God, not another deluded idiot" - and I see myself more of a panthiest than an athiest. And this is before I've even listend to what they have to say.

The porblem is that we live in more cinical and better-informed times where people have better access to information and can check things up for themselves. For that reason, anyone promoting a religion really has to knwo their stuff and come accross as well-informed and intelligent. Standing on a box at the corner of a street and preaching is not going to give you that impression.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

I think it depends on what form it takes Phil. It can be useful if it inspires joy and lifts the spirits of those passing by.....and holds their interest.

The Hare Krishnas seem to get lots of notice with their drums and dancing..lol....maybe a good gospel choir along with free invitations to attend a talk would be better than a solitary person who can sometimes have the opposit effect of making people turn away....

We don't see much street preaching in Dublin. There was a lady many years ago who used to bless everybody passing by on Grafton street at the lights, but people thought she was weird..lol...and she did come across as a bit of an oddity, nice, but odd.

If it's somebody just shouting random passages from Scripture, or not being coherent, than people will just pass on by...

Or perhaps (as Mr. Pudding suggests) somebody being venemous or shouting at people to hold onto their socks the end of world is nigh type preaching can be a real turn off.

If there is a little joy and music or something extra in there to hold peoples interest, than I think it can be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

From my limited knowledge of them, street preachers seem to be obsessed with the negative, with sin, eternal damnation, fear.
    Whereas the only teachers I read or listen to are obsessed with the positive aspects of Christianity. The positive types are normally part of a larger society or organisation and have little trouble working as well as preaching.
    While the negative fear mongering types seem to be lonely and strange.
    could be wrong though.....

Edit: I just noticed that you said it better lmaopml :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

One positive is there are willing to engage in discussion of various issues. Given the relative decline in basic education in the West, they sometimes can debate the issues at a 1:1 level instead of being content to spin the news like modern politicians who do not interact with the public instead relying on ad-campaigns.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I think there's a big difference between a chugger and a street preacher.

They generate similar low levels of annoyance in me, and I think that's the important thing in answer to Phil's question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

No
    I don't mind street preaching at all. It would be a dull word without it. Fair play to those who are different and brave enough to do it. I'm a little tired of the carbon copy conformist 'celebrity' culture and image. I always like to hear other opinions/persectives/angles, and that does not threaten what I believe, in fact sometimes it may iluminate another aspect of it for me. Freedom of speech is central to any democracy. It's the quality of street preaching I would have an issue with, and it should focus much more on joy, God's eternal love and loving one another, whether they be Christian, Atheist, or any other creed or race. Seperated or not, we are still all brothers and sisters and children of God.

They generate similar low levels of annoyance in me, and I think that's the important thing in answer to Phil's question.

I see your point, but in terms of the question, there goal is different. The chugger probably doesnt really care about savign the animals or the red cross, or whoever, he just does a job for payment. In that respect, I think the question of its evectiveness as a means of evangelism (i.e., communicating a message) there is a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

No
    I think people need to be warned that denying Jesus will lead to condemnation and accepting him leads to eternal life. This is the core of the Christian message. Claiming that people are obsessed with sin seems a little off when it is mans biggest problem and why we need salvation.

In terms of volume of people it's really incomparable to other means.

philologos wrote: »
    I think people need to be warned that denying Jesus will lead to condemnation and accepting him leads to eternal life. This is the core of the Christian message. Claiming that people are obsessed with sin seems a little off when it is mans biggest problem and why we need salvation.

"Warned" is a pretty harsh word there and implies a little arrogance. If you want to communicate a message you first need to accept people as equals.

No

"Warned" is a pretty harsh word there and implies a little arrogance. If you want to communicate a message you first need to accept people as equals.

We are equals. We all have sinned. We all need to accept Christ to be saved. We'll all be judged on the same criterion. That is do we know Him?

Jesus said he was the only way to know God and be saved from the slavery of sin.

We are equals. We all have sinned. We all need to accept Christ to be saved. We'll all be judged on the same criterion. That is do we know Him?

Jesus said he was the only way to know God and be saved from the slavery of sin.

Not the point I made, my point was regarding the language you used to convey this message. Whether you choose the street, the internet a church, whatever, you need to make sure that you don't come across as being better or more arrogant, or you'll wind up preaching to the choir, as the phrase goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

No
    One thing we have to Understand about St.Paul is that this was just the beginning of Christianity and it had to be preached no matter what.

That said I do think that street preaching can be effective in as much as it presents God to each individual. The methods used by preachers in New York such as ''Repent for the day of the Lord is at hand'' can be useless. But I remember being in the city before I was converted and this guy just had leaflets and a table of them set up, he would just invite people who passed to take one and that was that. I think that is a good idea as although it didnt convert me right away ( mind you I believed there was a God ) it did get me thinking about God and started the ball rolling and now here I am.

His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI said that we must present the Gospel to everyone no matter the consequences, we must present Jesus to the people both in word and deed. It is then up to each individual to accept or reject that invitation. We may think it's useless and yet if just one soul amongst the crowd is listening it is better than nothing at all as each soul to Christ is worth more than we think.

So yes it is effective when done properly but as Zombrex said some just do it to satisfy their ego but even if that is the case God always draws the good out of a bad intention and convert someone even through the man who only does it to satisfy his ego.

Not the point I made, my point was regarding the language you used to convey this message. Whether you choose the street, the internet a church, whatever, you need to make sure that you don't come across as being better or more arrogant, or you'll wind up preaching to the choir, as the phrase goes.

Yes, shouting "whores" at girls on a night out, as I've seen on Grafton Street, is probably not the best way to demonstrate that everyone is a sinner and everyone needs to be saved.

Again street preaching seems to be more about the preacher proclaiming his judgement and righteousness, than any selfless act to convert others.

I'm sure their are genuine street preachers. But given how ineffective street preaching is, and how out of date it is (is the problem really that people in this country don't now what Christianity is, rather than know too much about what it is), I think those with genuine desire to bring people into the Christian religion devote their time to other more effective methods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

No
    Zombrex wrote: »
    (is the problem really that people in this country don't now what Christianity is, rather than know too much about what it is)

It never ceases to amaze me the misconceptions and myths people have about Christianity and Catholicism in particular. Boards.ie bears that out. I have no problem with other peoples beliefs, but I do think that if you are going to disagree with other peoples beliefs, I believe should you should start by at least getting what they actually believe correct. Perhaps quality street preaching could go a little way to addressing that.

It never ceases to amaze me the misconceptions and myths people have about Christianity and Catholicism in particular. Boards.ie bears that out. I have no problem with other peoples beliefs, but I do think that if you are going to disagree with other peoples beliefs, I believe should you should start by at least getting what they actually believe correct. Perhaps quality street preaching could go a little way to addressing that.

Perhaps, though I think quality and street preaching is a bit of an oxymoron.

These misconceptions, in my experience at least, tend to be in the details (no Sodom was the sin of being unwelcoming, no! Cain and Abel had sisters, no! the emasculate conception refers to Mary not Jesus), not the basic idea that we are all sinners and need Jesus, which is basically all you get from a street preacher shouting sound bytes at you.

Like I said if the issue was educating people to the nuanced nature of Christian belief I don't think they would choose to do that as a street preacher.

Besides any street preacher I've engaged I've ended up knowing more than them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I wonder if it isn't counter-productive - at least when you are dealing with the firebrand type preachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

Whenever I've been in London at the weekend I've made a point of visiting Speaker's Corner. Its the interaction with the audience that's most engaging and any street preacher's I've seen in Ireland haven't had that opportunity as the locations are never appropriate.

I'd love to see a Speaker's Corner in Stephen's Green on a Sunday afternoon - it doesn't have to be only only for Christians

No
    homer911 wrote: »
    Whenever I've been in London at the weekend I've made a point of visiting Speaker's Corner. Its the interaction with the audience that's most engaging and any street preacher's I've seen in Ireland haven't had that opportunity as the locations are never appropriate.

I'd love to see a Speaker's Corner in Stephen's Green on a Sunday afternoon - it doesn't have to be only only for Christians

Some speakers are good. I've heard better preaching in and around my local area. I've definitely warmed up to the idea recently but like others have said the quality must be good also.

I think it is one means of proclamation that should be used amongst others and that it is not for everyone.

I see your point, but in terms of the question, there goal is different. The chugger probably doesnt really care about savign the animals or the red cross, or whoever, he just does a job for payment. In that respect, I think the question of its evectiveness as a means of evangelism (i.e., communicating a message) there is a difference.

The motivation doesn't change the irritation :)

I am reasonably sure if you announced something along those lines to 99% of my non religious friends as they passed on a street it'd just annoy them, even the more thoughtful ones who would be happy to discuss it on their own time. I'm just being honest here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

I voted wrong! Lol! I meant to vote number three! Of course explaining what Christianity is is a good thing! Through any written or spoken word or action is fine providing the Christianity is one true to the New testament. Good News not relatively bad news. I know it's only a little poll on an Internet site but change my vote! :D

....this is why I didn't vote on that other poll, that one went nowhere fast....

The motivation doesn't change the irritation :)

I know, but it's more relevant to the question asked :):)

No
    I am reasonably sure if you announced something along those lines to 99% of my non religious friends as they passed on a street it'd just annoy them, even the more thoughtful ones who would be happy to discuss it on their own time. I'm just being honest here.

It's fine that you think that. I mainly geared this question for Christians, given the strong case for street preaching that is in the Bible. Several of the Old Testament prophets, and the Apostles, and even Jesus Himself used the means of street preaching. Many people hated them, others came to know Christ through it.

What was different about it then, and what is different about it now.

I think people have also misunderstood what I meant by evangelism. Simply put I mean sharing the word with others. That might be by putting the seed into peoples minds for the first time to think about deeper things then through God's work bringing that person to Him. Jesus in the New Testament describes it as being similar to a harvest in several of the Gospels. (John 4:31-45).

I'm quite happy to say that much of the methodologies involved with street preaching are wrong, but personally I can't reject the practice given it's place in the early church.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

My experience has been very negative. Any street preaching that I have witnessed has been confrontational and has had the effect of alienating the speaker from the passers by. I have never heard anyone who's drawn me to what they are saying.

I am of the opinion that these type of activities are dominated by the lunatic fringe. Who in their right mind stands up in public to make a spectacle of themselves to have abuse hurled back? Wannabe martyrs perhaps?

No, not my cup of tea at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Street preaching tends to get on my nerves. It's often hard to follow, verging on incoherent ramblings. As someone said earlier on the thread, I think it's done more for the benefit of the preacher than the passers-by. They must get some kick out if it. There are a couple I see around Dublin city centre and I can't see any real success coming from it. However I do thing there is room for getting some interaction and discussion going with people on the street.

Personally I think some of the Christian street preachers could put down the megaphone and learn a thing or two from the young men who man the Islam information table outside the GPO. The passers-by approach them if they want to talk about something/learn something about Islam, it's a lot better IMO than having a garbled semi-message shouted into their ears as they keep walking. This approach seems to be more common on the continent too for Christian communities (less street preaching more distribution of leaflets/invitations to coffee evenings etc)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

It's fine that you think that. I mainly geared this question for Christians, given the strong case for street preaching that is in the Bible. Several of the Old Testament prophets, and the Apostles, and even Jesus Himself used the means of street preaching. Many people hated them, others came to know Christ through it.

What was different about it then, and what is different about it now.

What is different is culture. Some cultures value decisions that are made by an entire group, whereas others value decisions that are made individually.

In many parts of the world street preaching can be an effective way to communicate the Gospel. It can enable a family, clan or tribe to hear a message and respond to it together.

Like it or not, we live in a culture where decision making is highly individualistic. Therefore the Gospel tends to be shared more effectively through networks of relationships more than in street preaching.

Advertisement