Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Increasingly cold this week - frost widespread, risk of snow

• 03-12-2011 5:26am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭

Winter is starting on Monday it seems. A cold polar maritime regime is about to take hold and that means frost and ice for inland areas and coastal parts away from an onshore breeze. Meanwhile showers or longer periods of rain may occur from time to time. This should turn increasingly wintry as the week goes on and towards the end of the week a much colder Northerly airflow may take hold. Snow is more and more likely at times as the week goes on although it may turn a small bit milder on Wednesday for a time. Current model projections suggests even colder weather for next weekend. Indeed toward the end of the working week daytime temperatures may struggle to get above freezing so watch out for ice. But that is a good bit off yet. A very cold and wintry week ahead.

More later...

Rtavn423.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

How cold are we talking.?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

How cold are we talking.?

At night, next week, lows of 0 to -6c locally particularly later in the week. By day maxing out at 6c for the first half of the week. Much colder after that. Be lucky to see 4 or 5c as a max temperature. Where snow falls and accumulates you will be struggling above freezing. However a bit of a break Wednesday and Wednesday night. Should be a bit milder then. But very cold overall I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Thanks Darkman..... Time to turn off email alerts me thinks - The start of the 200 posts a minute of " Will it snow in X "........ Ill pop in from time to time instead for updates......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Yes BBC are using the Snow word from monday onwards!!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

From met.ie:

Sunday night: Snow showers over parts of Ulster; clear spells elsewhere and just scattered wintry showers. Lowest temperatures from -1 degrees (Leinster) to +4 degrees (west coast and southwest coast) with a sharp to severe ground frost away from Atlantic coasts. Monday: Good sunny spells; scattered rain, hail or sleet showers in parts of the west and north. A cold day with highest temperatures on Monday only 3 to 7 degrees in fresh to strong westerly winds. Another cold night Monday night with air minima away from Atlantic coasts again down to zero or -1 degrees with a sharp to severe ground frost. Some wintry showers possible in parts of the northwest but most areas dry. Tuesday and Wednesday: Tuesday will start cold and mostly dry with sunny spells. It will cloud over with rain moving in from the Atlantic bringing temperatures gradually up to 8 to 11 degrees and staying around these values for Wednesday with cloudy weather and further outbreaks of rain. Clearer, colder weather developing later. Thursday and Friday: Cold with typical daytime temperatures 5 to 7 degrees and some night frosts. Some sunny intervals but some wintry showers also and there is a possibility of a spell snow on Friday

All aboard :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

ohhh goody, last week of college n all :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

From met.ie:

Sunday night: Snow showers over parts of Ulster; clear spells elsewhere and just scattered wintry showers. Lowest temperatures from -1 degrees (Leinster) to +4 degrees (west coast and southwest coast) with a sharp to severe ground frost away from Atlantic coasts. Monday: Good sunny spells; scattered rain, hail or sleet showers in parts of the west and north. A cold day with highest temperatures on Monday only 3 to 7 degrees in fresh to strong westerly winds. Another cold night Monday night with air minima away from Atlantic coasts again down to zero or -1 degrees with a sharp to severe ground frost. Some wintry showers possible in parts of the northwest but most areas dry. Tuesday and Wednesday: Tuesday will start cold and mostly dry with sunny spells. It will cloud over with rain moving in from the Atlantic bringing temperatures gradually up to 8 to 11 degrees and staying around these values for Wednesday with cloudy weather and further outbreaks of rain. Clearer, colder weather developing later. Thursday and Friday: Cold with typical daytime temperatures 5 to 7 degrees and some night frosts. Some sunny intervals but some wintry showers also and there is a possibility of a spell snow on Friday

Very interesting to see Met Eireann come out and say a "Spell Snow" next Friday. Whoever was writing the update must have been all excited and go it the wrong way round. All the same very unusual for them not to sit on the fence and say Wintry Showers. Just reading MTs latest update and no mention of any "Spell Snow" from him for Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

From met.ie:

Very interesting to see Met Eireann come out and say a "Spell Snow" next Friday. Whoever was writing the update must have been all excited and go it the wrong way round. All the same very unusual for them not to sit on the fence and say Wintry Showers. Just reading MTs latest update and no mention of any "Spell Snow" from him for Friday.
    The lovely Eveyln cusack ramper fantastico was on duty this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

Wonderful news first thing on a Saturday morning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

Don't think we exactly need to start stocking up on the tinned food just yet! Will be interesting to see how it develops, but I'm guessing you'll be travelling to Errigal for this particular snow event.

It's just the commencement of the downward temperature ratchet and reversal of airflow as we prepare for the January whiteout. I'd say temperatures will never reach higher than -5 degrees at any stage of January at all this year, and that we'll have 47 feet of snow with some drifting also:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

As I mentioned last night snow is quite likely Sunday night for a large swathe of the country
    Yes Friday looks to be even better, but why look that far out when we could see some white stuff in a day's time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

As I mentioned last night snow is quite likely Sunday night for a large swathe of the country

:eek:

How do you see this? The "Snow Gods" haven't made this prediction :(

WHile I'd love nothing better, I can't see this happening based on the forecasts and info from M.T.C. and Su C. :(

What do you mean by "large swathe"? Do you mean above a certain altitude and possibly the most northern parts of the country? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Yes Friday looks to be even better, but why look that far out when we could see some white stuff in a day's time

Wishful thinking me thinks, personally I don't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Well it feels like winter hit us like a ton of bricks.

I am hoping for some snow even if it is the horrible wet stuff not the nice stuff we got last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

blackius wrote: »
    The lovely Eveyln cusack ramper fantastico was on duty this morning.

Dam... you got there first! ha :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I think it may just be too breezy throughout for widespread frost in many areas, but there will be some ground frost in sheltered areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭eyesquirm

What's so lovely about Evelyn?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

eyesquirm wrote: »
    What's so lovely about Evelyn?

Ramper! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

From met.ie:

Is Darkman working for met eireann now?
    Never expected that wintry forecast from them :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I don't see this myself. Precip looks very minimal to non-existant apart from the northwest tomorrow night.

wj7zg5.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Maybe you can be more specific than a large swathe. Looks like a light dusting of snow that quickly melts at best in the north/northwest at low levels. You will have bragging rights if there's serious snow across 'large swathes' of the country come Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭eyesquirm

Just my humble opinion, but I can't help but think that come Monday, "large swathes" of the country will be disappointed to see the rain falling.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Hasnt been a bad day, sunny, breezy & mildish! But now there's a chill setting in. Wind changing direction and temp dropping was 12c an hour ago but now 8c and slowly dropping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

eyesquirm wrote: »
    Just my humble opinion, but I can't help but think that come Monday, "large swathes" of the country will be disappointed to see the rain falling.....

More than likely you'll see nothing falling, away from the north there probably won't be any precipitation. Have a look at the radar right now to see what it'll probably look like with the showers dying out as they go further inland

63230394.png

I'll be travelling through the hills on Monday morning so should have a good idea of the height of the lying snow level (assuming its not sea level). Looking promising for me in Letterkenny either way though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

At least it is more seasonal than the dross we've had over the past few weeks. Certainly getting colder and beyond 7 days who knows? Perhaps a signal of even colder weather on the horizon, but we may have to wait until later in the month before we see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

Is Snow likely for the week ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Harps wrote: »
    More than likely you'll see nothing falling, away from the north there probably won't be any precipitation. Have a look at the radar right now to see what it'll probably look like with the showers dying out as they go further inland

63230394.png

I'll be travelling through the hills on Monday morning so should have a good idea of the height of the lying snow level (assuming its not sea level). Looking promising for me in Letterkenny either way though!

It is due to intensify though as the weekend goes on and more precip over more of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Looks how far south that 528 dam thickness is :eek:. If it comes to pass we'll have a similar snowfall to last winters.

Is Snow likely for the week ahead?

Read the thread! ;)

• Advertisement

We really need 522 dam for snow to all levels at this time of the year, but a more important thickness is the 850-1000, which needs to be below 129 dam.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement