Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-11-2011, 02:29   #1
rodrob111

Expired drivers licence

Just got stopped by the guards and figured out I have an Expired drivers licence by 2 and half months. Guard told me not to drive on it. Lucky I was right beside my gaf. Do I need to redo my driving test for a renewed license?
Advertisement
28-11-2011, 02:30   #2
Compton

no you dont need to re-do it
28-11-2011, 02:32   #3
Biscuits16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrob111 View Post
Just got stopped by the guards and figured out I have an Expired drivers licence by 2 and half months. Guard told me not to drive on it. Lucky I was right beside my gaf. Do I need to redo my driving test for a renewed license?
Nope no need for a re-test, is the Guard bringing you to court?
28-11-2011, 15:39   #4
Del2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrob111 View Post
Is it an expired full licence or learners permit?

AFAIK you are fine to drive for up to 10 years on an expired licence. I know several people who where stopped with expired licences and allowed to continue, so not letting you drive on must be new.
28-11-2011, 15:43   #5
cloneslad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del2005 View Post

AFAIK you are fine to drive for up to 10 years on an expired licence. I know several people who where stopped with expired licences and allowed to continue, so not letting you drive on must be new.

Isn't it a certain number of years to replace an expired licence, rather than you can drive on it for a certain number of years.

When it expires, renew it...or preferably a short time before it will expire.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
28-11-2011, 15:47   #6
Cuddlesworth

Quote:

I would have said that it was a Gardai's use of discretion that allowed them to drive away rather then the law.
Thanks from:
28-11-2011, 16:23   #7
Gophur
Closed Account

Quote:
I............

AFAIK you are fine to drive for up to 10 years on an expired licence. ............

An expired licence = no licence

It is illegal to drive without a licence. You are NOT fine to drive on an expired licence, not even for 10 seconds, let alone 10 years. The Garda discretion is a different matter.
Thanks from:
28-11-2011, 16:34   #8
msg11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloneslad View Post
Isn't it a certain number of years to replace an expired licence, rather than you can drive on it for a certain number of years.

When it expires, renew it...or preferably a short time before it will expire.
Not been smart here, but once it's expired your without a licence. I say it varys from Garda to Garda, although you could be done for driving without a valid licence.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1961/...038.html#sec38

Quote:
38.—(1) A person shall not drive a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place unless he holds a driving licence for the time being having effect and licensing him to drive the vehicle.
Thanks from:
28-11-2011, 16:56   #9
CiniO

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg11 View Post
Not been smart here, but once it's expired your without a licence. I say it varys from Garda to Garda, although you could be done for driving without a valid licence.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1961/...038.html#sec38
And the most ridiculous thing is that you have only 3 months to renew it (from 3 months before expiry date to that date).

If you can't do it in that period, you will end up without valid licence.

F.E if you are gone for longer holidays, or maybe abroad for few months or a year.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
29-11-2011, 13:25   #10
rodrob111

Guard was sound although he did say if I wasnt 100m from my gaf he couldn't let me drive off. Got my license renewed today in the tax office, 2 and a half months out of date. Forgot to ask how long I had to renew it. Really lucky bein stopped to be honest as wouldnt have realised the license was out of date otherwise.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion