Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business and Law UCD

Options
  • 20-11-2011 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi
    Thinking about courses in UCD for next year and am looking into Commerce International(French) and Business and Law.Just wondering does anybody know if it is possible to study french and possibly participate in an erasmus exchange on the BBL course? Also is there much difference in the workload for each and what are the average points required for each ? :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fairyprincessx

In the Commerce International programmes an Erasmus is compulsory, and you have to spend a year abroad, whereas in Business and Law you apply and go through an interview system to try get a place. At the moment the system in B&L is that you spend your third year abroad if you get accepted to study in France. I'm in second year Business and Law, at the moment we're applying for exchanges, and the perception is that if you have relatively decent grades from first year you should get a place on an Erasmus programme in a European university. You can also apply to study in Australia, but those places seem to be much more competitive.

With regard to studying French as part of your degree, unlike most students in UCD, BBL students don't get electives (where 10 of your 60 credits studied can be from outside your course subject), we solely take courses in Commerce and Law and can't keep up a language. There is an option to do an extra module (course) in your language but it means an increased workload and you have to fork out about €200(ish) for the privilege. This means that if you want to spend a year in France studying, it can seem quite daunting as you may not have done French since secondary school, but don't let this put you off because often the universities in France will hold courses before you begin studying there so you can pick it up. Everyone who has gone seems to highly recommend it, and says that you get over the language barriers!

I can't comment on the Commerce with French course, but I know last year the minimum points for B&L was 480, and I think it's been around this for the past few years. I'd really recommend Business and Law, but if you want to study French at university level you may want to look at the Commerce International.

The workload for B&L is quite heavy, but nothing that isn't unmanagable. We have very little continuous assessment for the Law modules, so it gets stressful during exam time with 95% final exams. I know last year for Tort Law we had a 5000 word essay which is a lot for a first year but they've since removed that from the first year syllabus. There's a lot of group work in the Business side of things, which can be difficult if team members don't pull their weight but generally you get through them.

Feel free to PM me if you've any more questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 abbevilleson

In the Commerce International programmes an Erasmus is compulsory, and you have to spend a year abroad, whereas in Business and Law you apply and go through an interview system to try get a place. At the moment the system in B&L is that you spend your third year abroad if you get accepted to study in France. I'm in second year Business and Law, at the moment we're applying for exchanges, and the perception is that if you have relatively decent grades from first year you should get a place on an Erasmus programme in a European university. You can also apply to study in Australia, but those places seem to be much more competitive.

With regard to studying French as part of your degree, unlike most students in UCD, BBL students don't get electives (where 10 of your 60 credits studied can be from outside your course subject), we solely take courses in Commerce and Law and can't keep up a language. There is an option to do an extra module (course) in your language but it means an increased workload and you have to fork out about €200(ish) for the privilege. This means that if you want to spend a year in France studying, it can seem quite daunting as you may not have done French since secondary school, but don't let this put you off because often the universities in France will hold courses before you begin studying there so you can pick it up. Everyone who has gone seems to highly recommend it, and says that you get over the language barriers!

I can't comment on the Commerce with French course, but I know last year the minimum points for B&L was 480, and I think it's been around this for the past few years. I'd really recommend Business and Law, but if you want to study French at university level you may want to look at the Commerce International.

The workload for B&L is quite heavy, but nothing that isn't unmanagable. We have very little continuous assessment for the Law modules, so it gets stressful during exam time with 95% final exams. I know last year for Tort Law we had a 5000 word essay which is a lot for a first year but they've since removed that from the first year syllabus. There's a lot of group work in the Business side of things, which can be difficult if team members don't pull their weight but generally you get through them.

Feel free to PM me if you've any more questions!

Hey

I'm really thinking about doing the law and business course in UCD too. The business school is the only properly accredited one in Ireland and the law school is very highly regarded. Also, UCD has Erasmus links with the top schools in the world compared to other Irish universities.

I was just wondering how would you go on an Erasmus and learn Law and business if you hadn't done French since secondary school??

Do many people do the French option, cause it seems ye have a pretty heavy course load as it is?

Also, what's your timetable like, I've heard the BBL students suffer from a pretty spread out timetable, is this really annoying or does it give you a chance to get some work done?

Thanks 4 ur help!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Hey

I'm really thinking about doing the law and business course in UCD too. The business school is the only properly accredited one in Ireland and the law school is very highly regarded. Also, UCD has Erasmus links with the top schools in the world compared to other Irish universities.

I was just wondering how would you go on an Erasmus and learn Law and business if you hadn't done French since secondary school??

Well, there are a number of European countries like Germany, Italy and a few more afaik. I was talking to my friend over the Christmas who is on Erasmus and he said he is struggling a bit with the language. However, UCD I think take this into account insofar as your Erasmus year doesn't affect your final GPA. Whilst those who don't go on Erasmus will have a 50/50 3rd/4th year, those who do go on erasmus have a 100% final year.
    *Also, I think they do less modules, am not certain though.
    Do many people do the French option, cause it seems ye have a pretty heavy course load as it is?

Whilst the course load may be comparatively heavy when compared to Arts for example, it is, IMO, not all that heavy when you to compare it to, for example, medicine or the science courses.
    Also, what's your timetable like, I've heard the BBL students suffer from a pretty spread out timetable, is this really annoying or does it give you a chance to get some work done?

Thanks 4 ur help!! :D

Yup this is true. However, you can tighten it up by going to some commerce lectures instead of B&L ones if its more convenient, with regard to your Law modules.

You'd think you'd get something done in the gaps, but you really don't :P, unless an essay is due, or exam-time is approaching!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Jigglypuff

Rothmans wrote: »
    *Also, I think they do less modules, am not certain though.

Yep, if you go on Erasmus you take less modules. Normally you do 6 modules per semester, but on Erasmus you only do 4 per semester, so the workload is lessened allowing you to cope better and to learn the language.

Something to bear in mind for the Erasmus is that if you go abroad you may have to take on extra modules in final year if you want to become a barrister/accountant, which you will have to pay for. They won't count for your final GPA, but it is something to consider if you want to go down those paths as it would be extra pressure on top of the fact that the year will be worth 100% of your final GPA.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lauzie2011

In terms of modules,does
    the course provide you with the opportunity to study more business modules than law modules or vice versa?..is the course more geared towards those who wish to pursue a career in law or those who wish to pursue a career in business? And Are any job internships available as part of the course? Sorry for all the questions :P

• Advertisement

lauzie2011 wrote: »
    In terms of modules,does
    the course provide you with the opportunity to study more business modules than law modules or vice versa?..is the course more geared towards those who wish to pursue a career in law or those who wish to pursue a career in business? And Are any job internships available as part of the course? Sorry for all the questions :P

You don't get to study more of either business or law until your fourth year. Many courses can partake in Horizons where they do 5 core modules and can pick one elective per semester. So if you did pure law you could pick an extra law subject, or...anatomy! It can be anything! Unfortunately, because of the "intensive nature" of the course, we can't take an extra modules, so it's 3 business and 3 law until final year!

I wouldn't say the course is more geared towards either, as it's a 50/50 split between business and law. I think that it can be easier to get involved with the law side with debating, lawsoc, different speakers that visit, and since some of the business lectures are mixed in with Arts such as economics, I find most tend to know more people doing pure law than say commerce since you have smaller lectures and tutorials.

I don't think there are internships available as part of the course, it's up to yourself to apply for them for the next summer, usually when you're in third year (but you can apply 2nd year too). I heard Quinn (the business school) have an internship programme but since I'm not in 3rd/4th year yet I'm not sure if BnLs can apply for that!

Do many people take the extra french elective for €200??

Was thinking about taking the extra elective in French along with BBL in September (If i get in!!) but would it be really difficult?? I dont want 2 have to spend all my time studying just to keep up in first year alone!! :P

Do many people take the extra french elective for €200??

Was thinking about taking the extra elective in French along with BBL in September (If i get in!!) but would it be really difficult?? I dont want 2 have to spend all my time studying just to keep up in first year alone!! :P

Believe me, you won't be pushed for time in first year! You would definitely have the time to take the module. And once you take a French module at the appropriate level it shouldn't be too difficult! As to whether many take it, from what I have observed I would say no. That's not to stop you taking it though. You could alternatively keep up your French by joining the French Society, they have language classes/informal coffee mornings with Erasmus students and what not.

Am finding it so hard 2 decide between the 2 courses!! :P

I really like the BComm Intl and would choose between French and Chinese once I get in... But I've heard a major turnoff is the way the language and business elements aren't linked AT ALL!! I don't think I'd like the Literature modules!! Also, there are one or two top links for Study Abroad like the ESCN in France so would it be really hard 2 get these top places??? Then again, when it comes 2 Chinese.... UCD has great links in China.

With Commerce, Ive heard the accountancy part is really good but I'm also really interested in Marketing and technology. So is commerce more geared 4 wanna be accountants?? :P

When it comes to BBL, I'm worried with the lack of a language option. I would really like to do a language for future employment prospects and that.... Also I want 2 do law because it's a great base degree and would be great general knowledge. It would offer a lot of prospects in terms of study abroad and internships. However, Ultimately, my interest is in business (for the minute) and I want 2 work in major companies like google, PayPal!!

I really wanna go international in my career and have been looking in2 Trinity cause even though the business department is t gr8, it has brilliant international links and does offer a language in 1st and 2nd year of Law and Business!! The points are crazy at 555.... So was looking a BESS 2 ... But once again... The business department isnt the best and BESS is very broad and art-sy!! :P

Soo confused... If anyone could shed some light on the situation id b so grateful... CAO change of mind is closing in!! I really wanna get involved in all things student life and have a gr8 time in college so really wanna make the right choice!!

THANKS!!

Advertisement