Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mild electric shock from light switch

Options
  • 08-11-2011 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

I have a standard light switch, outside the bathroom and it powers the light for the hall, bathroom and the fan in the bathroom

Recently I've noticed as I push the switch on so bottom side is in, I get a mild shock

Now I thought I was imagining this so tried it again and placed my finger on the bottom on the switch and got another shock

Not painful or huge but it's there

Yes, I've contacted the landlord to get an electrician and yes I'm not asking for ways to ignore it or work around it, it needs to be fixed

But I'm asking from a technical point of view, what can go wrong that a householder can get a shock from a lightswitch?
    It's only the last month or so I've noticed this

Edit, just to rule out static electricity, it doesn't happen anywhere else in the apartment and if it means anything, it's wooden floors here, not carpets

The apartment was built around seventeen years ago if that means anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

Is it or are your hands wet when you push it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

Is it a metal switch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's a plastic switch, same as any household realy

My hands aren't wet, thanks for replies

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

for gods sake dont touch it again, get an electrician or at least someone who knows about it

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Are you standing on tiled floor in a bungalow in bare feet while switching it? Maybe not.

But its likely some moisture has got in from being switched with wet hands previously. It would be unlikely to be fatally dangerous, but a change of switch and make sure hands are dry when anyone is using it.

Its not usually when hands are actually wet that this can happen with a dry switch, its after using switch with wet hands and the water then gets in around the rocker, then later using it causes a problem.

Edit: Just noticed its an apartment. But anyay, that sort of thing, moisture in the switch, would go un-noticed upstairs in houses, but on tiles etc in bare feet it would be more likely to perceive a bit of a shock if the switch was a bit wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I used to get this from the bathroom light when I lived in a basement just off Dorset St. Occasionally it would give a nasty zap if I was barefoot.

It was a regular bakelite casing. I tried earthing it but in hindsight the best thing to do would have been to put down a mat so that I wouldn't be the earth. Being a basement, it was a bit damp and I think that this may have had something to do with it.

On the bright side, I always got a good laugh seeing friends get shocked.

I used to get this from the bathroom light when I lived in a basement just off Dorset St. Occasionally it would give a nasty zap if I was barefoot.

It was a regular bakelite casing. I tried earthing it but in hindsight the best thing to do would have been to put down a mat so that I wouldn't be the earth. Being a basement, it was a bit damp and I think that this may have had something to do with it.

On the bright side, I always got a good laugh seeing friends get shocked.

Yea, barefoot can have everything to do with it, with dry runners or shoes on, you`d never have noticed.

A metal plate switch can give a more noticable shock across the fingers, as many have an actual plastic rocker part, so the hand touches the damp rocker, and the earthed metal around it at the same time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

mikemac wrote: »
    I have a standard light switch, outside the bathroom and it powers the light for the hall, bathroom and the fan in the bathroom

Recently I've noticed as I push the switch on so bottom side is in, I get a mild shock

Now I thought I was imagining this so tried it again and placed my finger on the bottom on the switch and got another shock

Not painful or huge but it's there

Yes, I've contacted the landlord to get an electrician and yes I'm not asking for ways to ignore it or work around it, it needs to be fixed

But I'm asking from a technical point of view, what can go wrong that a householder can get a shock from a lightswitch?
    It's only the last month or so I've noticed this

Edit, just to rule out static electricity, it doesn't happen anywhere else in the apartment and if it means anything, it's wooden floors here, not carpets

The apartment was built around seventeen years ago if that means anything.
    If the switch is plastic and is not wet or damp it can not conduct electricity (it seems static is not the issue).

However, perhaps the metal screws that hold the switch are in contact with a live part within the switch. The screws are normally to the sides, not to the bottom, but perhaps yours is different or mounted sideways?

As the others have pointed out, get an electrician to investigate.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I tried earthing it but in hindsight the best thing to do would have been to put down a mat so that I wouldn't be the earth.
    No. The best thing would have been to get it fixed properly so that the potential to kill somone would have been removed.

Earthing is important, but would not have solved the problem described above. In damp areas a good qualiy IP65 switch is often the best option. MK make a great one.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    No. The best thing would have been to get it fixed properly so that the potential to kill somone would have been removed.

The chances of someone being killed by a damp switch is not very high just the same. They mostly go un-noticed unless someone is in bare feet on solid floors.

If it was, we would hear of many deaths. From doing a fair bit of work on farms i seen, and felt, some great example`s of damp switches.

Thats not to say its nice and safe of course.

The screws are a possibility, but id say the switch in the OP case here is mounted the right way. They mention pushing in the bottom of the rocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭meercat

However, perhaps the metal screws that hold the switch are in contact with a live part within the switch. The screws are normally to the sides, not to the bottom, but perhaps yours is different or mounted sideways?

As the others have pointed out, get an electrician to investigate.

think this is a likely answer to your problem op
    any chance pic of switch
    agree with others who say get a sparks to check it out

Its possible alright, but with the OP mentioning they again placed finger on the bottom of the rocker to see where they imagining it, i wonder how any current would be perceived without moisture on the switch.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    The chances of someone being killed by a damp switch is not very high just the same. They mostly go un-noticed unless someone is in bare feet on solid floors.

You are correct, but have missed the whole point of my post which is that the "best" way to solve the issue is not to put down a mat!

Besides, I said it had the "potential to Kill" and I stand by that.

You are correct, but have missed the whole point of my post which is that the "best" way to solve the issue is not to put down a mat!

Besides, I said it had the "potential to Kill" and I stand by that.

I seen your point, its not rocket science in fairness.

Wow, that was just too easy! What's the catch???:D

No catch.

Edit: Was too busy doin nothing, to have a debate:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Despite the famous analogy, the theory behind rocket science isn't that complicated at all believe it or not. Now brain surgery....:)

cast_iron wrote: »
    Despite the famous analogy, the theory behind rocket science isn't that complicated at all believe it or not.

Well its easy to believe, as the basic principles are simple. Its mainly just a phrase.

Advertisement