Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod housekeeping request thingies

Options
  • 04-11-2011 12:05pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sup peeps,

Just a couple of things:

First, something that crops up every now and then.

If you want me to lock, or delete, or otherwise do something moddy to a thread, either pm me directly or for preference report your own post (Azza will get it too). The worst thing you can do is simply say it on thread. I do not read every single post (we're not paid employees, so we don't have to :) )

I've just noticed a couple of posts in that vein I saw waaay too late recently. Reporting it means I get an email about it.

Secondly- I need help with the online players list thread. It needs a huge clean up, too much for me to do. I was wondering if maybe one person could take a game each and we could rebuild the tables. I'd insert them then. I really don't have the time to do it right now (and, once again, that type of thing really isn't my job :) ) so if anyone has some free time I'd appreciate it if they'd help.

If anyone has any ideas how we could do it better, I am all ears.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

Well i'm not sure how helpful i'd be because i don't know so many people here but i can give ya a hand with the player list if i can be of any use that is ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

aeonfusion wrote: »
    Well i'm not sure how helpful i'd be because i don't know so many people here but i can give ya a hand with the player list if i can be of any use that is ;)

basically, what you'd need to do is go to the first post. Click quote.

There you'll see the table of all the players, copy that to notepad or something.

Then find my last post in the thread, and work your way forward from there, making any changes people have requested since.

It's a bit of a pain in the arse tbh, I don't expect anyone to help but would appreciate it muchly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F1LS3U34 didn't know how to send them on so i just rar'd them and uploaded them here. I'd say ya should just delete the vanilla player list cause no one plays it anymore :P that and most people on the vanilla list either play super or don't play at all anymore. Then add ones for MVC3 and MK9, would make it look less cluttered.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

We should just change the online players list to a Google Docs spreadsheet link so people can add themselves in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    We should just change the online players list to a Google Docs spreadsheet link so people can add themselves in.

AFAIK with the recent "versioning" advances in google docs, it could be freely publically editable; but with "admin privileges" so that we can see if anyone deletes the list and just roll back to the previous intact version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Whoever sorts out the Street Fighter gamertag could you please put a note about SF IV Ireland 1. http://live.xbox.com/en-IE/MyXbox/Profile?pp=0&GamerTag=SF+IV+Ireland+1

It's a Silver gamertag I made, by adding it as a friend and looking at it's friendlist you get 100 extra friends for just 1 space on your friendlist.

Saves having to add everyone on here or clogging up an already full friendlist.

But if you do add it, you should shoot me a message so that i know to accept the friend request.

I'm going to copy/paste this across the two relevant topics

I made a publicly editable google spreadsheet for everyone. I'm the owner (I think I can hand ownership off to anyone who thinks they are more suitable), currently anyone who finds the document can edit it. While it is publicly editable, it is not publicly searchable, so hopefully we won't get any random troll vandalism, just troll vandalism from people we know :P

The owner can review revisions, and rollback to an earlier version if it gets messed up or deleted.

The link is here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ApLd-FYOVg6jdHhGZVlheHpuWmJ1RURJN251dENqeHc&hl=en_US#gid=0

A couple of points:
    • SF IV Ireland 1 is the top name for Street Fighter related stuff, the fact that Owmykneecap is the maintainer is a comment on the cell (mouseover to see) to preserve the formatting. Accounts like this are the most convenient way to add multiple profiles all at once, so there are notable blank spaces for Marvel/Blazblue etc. If anyone wants to set one up for their game of choice, I encourage you to do so, add it to the relevant cell, and go "Insert -> Comment" to add you tag as the maintainer
    • In true Wiki spirit, I only added my own name (I tried to grab Aeonfusions excel file, but the link doesn't seem to working). If you want to be on here, add yourself. This is probably for the best as it will only have the names of players currently active, and therefore be the most up to date.
    • The colour formatting is a minor aesthetic touch, but please keep it consistent. If you want to paste your handle across multiple rows please use Copy -> Paste Special -> Paste Values Only. That way you won't paste a yellow cell into a red column
    • If anyone has any comments or suggestions about the formatting or layout of the document, my default response is "That sounds like a great idea, by all means do it yourself."
    • Only paste your name in for games you will want to play online with people. Not for games you hate or have sold. The purpose of this is matchmaking, not "what game you own" trivia. Please don't waste anyone's time.
    • Once the list is of a decent size, it can be re-organised alphabetically based on the "boards.ie username" column. I can do this if nobody else is sure how.

That's pretty much it, have at it lads!

Hey guys, one more post because this is a learning experience for me too.

I've been playing around on the "owner" account, and an "anonymous" account, and the most important point is that their power level is the same.

The ONLY special thing I can do as owner is change the permissions level, so I can just disable the fact the document is publicly editable. But while it is publicly editable, everyone has the same powers.
    (I cannot AFAIK nominate a new owner though, I tried to make it PPC) I can give anyone with a gmail account owner privileges. PM me if you want it.

To test this I vandalised the document as the owner, and then rolled back to a previous intact version as an anonymous user.

Cool things you can experiment with:
    • File -> See revision history. To see changes that have been made and remove vandalism
    • If you can see that any other users are online on the top right, clicking on their name opens a "Document Chat room" using the Gchat interface. This is just a little neat touch.

So if we're in agreement that this is a group effort, and everyone will check in every now and again to make sure the doc hasn't been vandalised, the document can also double as an extra chatroom!

Edit: PPC has made the document formatting easier to navigate and a less redundant. Just write in your handle once, and then mark the appropriate game.

If anyone wants to make "Master Silver" accounts for the non-SF games, please do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

their power level is the same.

Must. Not. Say it....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Just added my details and a 3S column - strange that it wasn't there to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

The SF IV Ireland thingy, is really just fighting games generally, but with an SF name.

That's never happened before.

Would be great to get more on it, there's around 50 on it as is.

Advertisement