Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clash X Counter feedback!

Options
  • 30-10-2011 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

With CxC 3 over we would like to thank everyone that turned up and made it happen. As the success of a tournament and its evolution is down to its players and the scene, I would like to ask for some of the attendees to take some time out and help us go from strength to strength for the 4th installment.

For example:
    • General - What did you like/dislike about CxC3 overall?
    • Fee - Do you think £5 is too low, too much or fair? Would you rather pay more per tournament for a higher prize pool?
    • Tournaments - Is 3 tournament enough or too much? Did a game not get enough exposure, did another get too much exposure?
    • Tournament rotation - Currently we run SSF4:AE, BB and a 3rd selected on current popularity. Is this a good or bad format and if it's a bad format, what would you prefer to see
    • Setups - Were there enough per tournament game, how well were they laid out and should there be others (if possible)?

Please feel free to leave any constructive criticism, we are always looking to improve.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Cloudpaul wrote: »
    With CxC 3 over we would like to thank everyone that turned up and made it happen. As the success of a tournament and its evolution is down to its players and the scene, I would like to ask for some of the attendees to take some time out and help us go from strength to strength for the 4th installment.

For example:
    • General - What did you like/dislike about CxC3 overall?
    • Fee - Do you think £5 is too low, too much or fair? Would you rather pay more per tournament for a higher prize pool?
    • Tournaments - Is 3 tournament enough or too much? Did a game not get enough exposure, did another get too much exposure?
    • Tournament rotation - Currently we run SSF4:AE, BB and a 3rd selected on current popularity. Is this a good or bad format and if it's a bad format, what would you prefer to see
    • Setups - Were there enough per tournament game, how well were they laid out and should there be others (if possible)?

Please feel free to leave any constructive criticism, we are always looking to improve.

General:

I thought this was the best run one yet, I thought ye were adaptable and everything worked. The space ye have is perfect and I'd like to see it grow myself.

Fee: It's fine, a fiver is grand to me.

Tournaments: I think you missed a trick by not having a Marvel tournament, no one is going to travel for 3S, but I reckon some might for Marvel, or MK.

Tournament Rotation: The only change really would be to start the first tournament a wee bit earlier. It was good that you adapted when time got a little tight.

Setups where fine, not like you can be blamed for the sunlight :)

Personally it was probably the best trip for me in the sense that everyone was hyper helpful to an even larger degree than I was used to. Hopefully, it'll show in the vids :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

General:
    Having enough set ups so casuals could be played was great. Everything was well organised. Air conditioning at a tournament is normally unheard of but was welcome.

Fee:
    A fiver per tournament is about right.

Tournaments:
    Would have liked to see a MvC3 tournament.

Tournament Rotation:
    It's a good format. Would like to see a UMvC3 or KoFXIII tournament next time.

Setups:
    Was grand except for one without sound. Wouldn't have bothered me much but I wasn't comfortable having to use it for tournament matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

I thought it was the best one yet. I love the fact theres was enough set up and time to play some casual. yeah also not having mvc3 would lose some of the crowd.

the price was perfect I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Cloudpaul

Thanks for the feedback so far. We didn't know if we should have bothered with MvC3. Since none of us up here travel down for MvC3 tournaments and almost no-one plays it competitively up here (we had it on casual setups and i even heard one guy say "does anyone even play that now?") we thought it best to leave it out. Definitely worth reconsidering for the next one given the response.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Well, you had 4 or 5 people from the South there who would have most definitely played, Doyler said he wanted to come if there was MvC and possibly a couple of others would too. It's got a fairly active scene in Dublin, just fyi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

General - Thought it was pretty well run, loved the open space and having air conditioning was a very nice thing. :]

Fee - Entry fee was pretty good, but I did only enter one tournament. Thought it was grand though, given the prizes and such, and being able to play casuals before the tournaments and in between matches was also worth it. So the price is pretty fair in my opinion.

Tournaments - I didn't watch the other two tournaments, just played the BB one, so I couldn't say much, but I thought each tournament was run well enough, if you added another it might make things abit trickier to run. I think 3 is a good number.

The only thing I have some questions about is the tournament bracket layout. I ended up fighting the other person who made it out of my groups again after 1 match in the actual tournament, as did someone else. Thought it was abit odd that I'd fight him so soon in the actual tournament. Don't mind, just didn't think it would happen so soon.

Setups - Loved the amount of setups available, it really meant you could get casual matches and some practise in really quick in between matches or prior to the tournament, especially towards the latter half, so even if you were eliminated early, you still got to play some matches instead of waiting around for anyone you travelled up with whom was still in their tournaments. Also Air Conditioning near each setup made things extra nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭powerofscience

I agree with pretty much everything everyone else has said so far. I really enjoyed it and the prices are very fair. I don't really play Marvel but I do think more people would've shown had it been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Setups where fine, not like you can be blamed for the sunlight :)
    Sunlight in the end of October was not something anyone could have expected! ;)
    I hope moving some of the dividers helped a bit, though.

As for running 3S over MvC3, I personally just wanted 3S to get one cash tournament up here before it gets forgotten about again in the rush of new games! Since UMvC3 will likely be the new hotness in time for the next one, we'll see about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

The tournaments didn't quite start on schedule - other than that I have no real complaints.

Looking ahead, by the time CXC4 rolls around quite a few new games will have come out. KOF XIII, UMVC3 and Skullgirls, to name a few. Assuming that we're sticking with (latest version of SF4) + (latest version of BB) + (some other game), picking the third game will be a difficult choice. If you wanted the highest turnout, I guess you could just go with UMVC3, but I'm personally much more hype for the other two. Ultimately, it'll depend on how each game pans out.

I think running a fourth main game at CXC4 should at least be looked at - the AH3 side tourney showed that it's doable.

It's certainly doable, although we did run AH3 as single matches instead of best 2/3 and it still ran on a fair bit. I think I like the idea of an "official" side tournament to test the waters with games that we think could be popular but can't commit to yet.

Skullgirls would be perfect for that, since I think it looks utterly amazing but I'd want to see how well it fairs in a side-tournament before I'd be confident that people would put their money down on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Cloudpaul

Well there is a possibility of running 2 tournaments simultaneously so run AE and (x) and BB and (y) at the same time.

The only logistical problems involved in that are recording, as there is currently only one recording setup and manpower, running 2 at one time would probably require more volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

General - 's good.
    Fee - 's good price.
    Tournaments - 3's a good number, with some quick run side tournaments.
    Tournament rotation - 's pretty good format.
    Setups - 's plenty enough setups. (Jealousy)

Actually at one point, all four tournaments were running in some capacity simultaneously, I think. We just staggered the start of each game a bit to make sure there was enough staff to make a dent in the groups.

Also, speaking of setups, I don't remember the 3 casual setups being used very often. Would people prefer if they were used for extra setups for the tournament games, or were you happy to see other games available on freeplay?

Advertisement