Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cloverfield - Is this the worst rubbish on RTE 2 in decades?

Options
  • 15-10-2011 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

Rare time that I have the TV on without a DVD and this utter tripe comes on. Looks like something that was produced by a FAS scheme. Rubbish plot, crap acting and the hand held camera style is so bad as to almost make it unwatchable. Clever - I think not. Anybody else enjoy endure it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

yea, one of the best examples of vfx of recent years. Almost completely shot on green screen yet nobody ever notices.One of the best VFX movies of the last 10 years.
    As a movie though, I love how you get drawn into the drama of it and forget it's a monster movie until the monster attacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

It was shot that way for a reason. I quite enjoyed it at the cinema. I know alot of people suffered from motion sickness because of the shaky-cam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Rare time that I have the TV on without a DVD and this utter tripe comes on. Looks like something that was produced by a FAS scheme. Rubbish plot, crap acting and the hand held camera style is so bad as to almost make it unwatchable. Clever - I think not. Anybody else enjoy endure it?

You're complaining that one of the biggest blockbuster movies released (whenever it came out) is actually been shown on rte 2?

I'm no fan of what's shown on Irish tv by any means, however I'd commend rte for showing a "blockbuster".

Fwiw I enjoyed enjoyed the movie in the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Cloverfield is a great little movie, even if it didn't quite live up to it's amazing teaser trailer.

And if you think it's the worst thing that has been on RTE2 in decades then you've obviously never seen anything starring Katherine Lynch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I'm didn't really like the movie, but you have to commend them for doing something different.

The camera style is very relevant since when ANYTHING happens people seem compelled to record it.

I don't know if you're having a go at RTE but it was a very popular film so why shouldn't they show it?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I'd pretty much agree with Red Dave.. The movie WAS huge at the time.. It was sort of Blair Witch with an alien invasion... Certainly wasnt a "great" movie but worthy of the promotion that RTE are giving it.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

I'm didn't really like the movie, but you have to commend them for doing something different.

The camera style is very relevant since when ANYTHING happens people seem compelled to record it.

I don't know if you're having a go at RTE but it was a very popular film so why shouldn't they show it?? :confused:

"Different"?

lol.
    This and Blair Witch and Paranormal activity and all the other "lost footage" stuff are all ripped off from Cannibal Holocaust which was released in 1980.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannibal_Holocaust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

red dave wrote: »
    You're complaining that one of the biggest blockbuster movies released (whenever it came out) is actually been shown on rte 2?

I'm no fan of what's shown on Irish tv by any means, however I'd commend rte for showing a "blockbuster".

Fwiw I enjoyed enjoyed the movie in the cinema.

I'm a movie fan and I'd never even heard of it before but perhaps I have an inbuilt BS detector which means I don't notice when such rubbish is released. Anyway according to a lot of the reviews at the Internet Movie Database here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1060277/reviews I'm not alone in my opinions of this poor quality 'home movie'. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

stupidest monster ever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Looks like something that was produced by a FAS scheme. Rubbish plot, crap acting and the hand held camera style is so bad as to almost make it unwatchable. Clever - I think not. Anybody else enjoy endure it?

The plot is perfect considering the point of view of the movie. Do you really think a bunch of young adults running around NYC during a monster attack would have any idea what was going on? Same reason the camera is so shaky. It might be a monster movie but there was an attempt to be as realistic as possible.

• Advertisement

Well, even if you put the crap acting and plot to one side, the clever dire camera work was unreal. I used to make super 8 movies myself and anything as bad as this rubbish would have gone in the bin. The style of camera work is like a lot of so-called modern art that the great unwashed like me are not sufficiently evolved to appreciate. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I hated this film when it was released.

Well, even if you put the crap acting and plot to one side, the clever dire camera work was unreal. I used to make super 8 movies myself and anything as bad as this rubbish would have gone in the bin. The style of camera work is like a lot of so-called modern art that the great unwashed like me are not sufficiently evolved to appreciate. :D

It's not modern art, it's modern entertainment. Personally I think Schindler's List is pretty short on laughs but that's not the point of it.
    If you're watching Cloverfield and hoping for modern art of course you're going to be let down. It is Godzilla, nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

It's an ok film. I remember when LOST was finishing up people were speculating that the smoke monster might turn out to be the Cloverfield monster if it escaped the island. Would have been a cool revelation.

Mindkiller wrote: »
    It's an ok film. I remember when LOST was finishing up people were speculating that the smoke monster might turn out to be the Cloverfield monster if it escaped the island. Would have been a cool revelation.

Nah, the cloverfield monster was woken by the falling satelite that you see crashing at the very end of the movie. It belonged to the japanese corporation the the main character was leaving new york to go work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Cloverfield would have definitely been an idea for the bin back in the days of super 8. It's main theme is that of this generation's ability (and somewhat irritating desire) to document everything. Hence why the beginning of the film is mundane social garbage filmed by egotistical young new yorkers :-P

I can totally see why the style isn't everyone's cup of tea, but objectively speaking the premise of the film is sound.

It also had a lot of cool viral marketing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The word 'worst' is thrown around a lot these days.

I remember the days when the label was reserved for genuinely appalling pieces of work. Whether it be films entirely devoid of a basic understanding of the medium (Manos: The Hands of Fate). Films with hilariously misguided intentions (Reefer Madness). Or films that are offensive to every race, creed and gender imaginable (Transformers 2).

Cloverfield? Bad? Arguably. Mediocre? Certainly. Watchable? Probably. Deserving of superlatives positive or negative? Never.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

Personaly I thought it was one of the best monster movies to come out recently, the story focusing around the guy trying to find his girlfriend kinda sucked but the monster, its story and the ARG were awesome

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

The word 'worst' is thrown around a lot these days.

I remember the days when the label was reserved for genuinely appalling pieces of work. Whether it be films entirely devoid of a basic understanding of the medium (Manos: The Hands of Fate). Films with hilariously misguided intentions (Reefer Madness). Or films that are offensive to every race, creed and gender imaginable (Transformers 2).

Cloverfield? Bad? Arguably. Mediocre? Certainly. Watchable? Probably. Deserving of superlatives positive or negative? Never.

ah now, manos: hands of fate is an unrecognised classic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

ah now, manos: hands of fate is an unrecognised classic

A comedy classic, certainly.

But I think the fact that they either or ran out of resources to or plain forgot to include credits sets the standard for things to come. Luckily old Torgo alongside his master with a fondness for stick waving make it fascinatingly dreadful.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

OMG RTE actually went out of there way and showed a good movie, the balls on them to be doing things like that, :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I'm a movie fan and I'd never even heard of it before but perhaps I have an inbuilt BS detector which means I don't notice when such rubbish is released. Anyway according to a lot of the reviews at the Internet Movie Database here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1060277/reviews I'm not alone in my opinions of this poor quality 'home movie'. :D

you're clearly not. one of the best marketed movies of 2008 made by the creator of one of the biggest tv shows ever and you'd never heard of it? my bs detector just broke its needle.

krudler wrote: »
    you're clearly not. one of the best marketed movies of 2008 made by the creator of one of the biggest tv shows ever and you'd never heard of it? my bs detector just broke its needle.

I suppose I should have prefaced that with good movie fan. I also like nothing more than alien/monster/sci-fi type movies but quality ones like 'The Earth dies screaming', 'Day of the Triffids', 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers', 'War of the Worlds' (not the rubbish Tom Cruise one), Alien, Predator, Total Recall, etc.etc. but Cloverfield is typical of the sort of nonsense that people are afraid to criticise less they be branded fuddy duddies or worse. Mind you I shouldn't be surprised by the response here given that most of you seem think that 'Lost' was good. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I suppose I should have prefaced that with good movie fan. I also like nothing more than alien/monster/sci-fi type movies but quality ones like 'The Earth dies screaming', 'Day of the Triffids', 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers', 'War of the Worlds' (not the rubbish Tom Cruise one), Alien, Predator, Total Recall, etc.etc. but Cloverfield is typical of the sort of nonsense that people are afraid to criticise less they be branded fuddy duddies or worse. Mind you I shouldn't be surprised by the response here given that most of you seem think that 'Lost' was good. :D

I never said Lost was good, I said it was one of the biggest tv shows ever, which it was. Only saw the pilot episode and a few mins of others ones, never got into it.

hrmmmmm.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

No-one's afraid to criticise Cloverfield. It polarised critics at release but it most definitely doesn't deserve to be lumped with the worst. It was an interesting experiment at the very least (the genre-mashing of typical monster film and found footage that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Mindkiller wrote: »
    No-one's afraid to criticise Cloverfield. It polarised critics at release but it most definitely doesn't deserve to be lumped with the worst. It was an interesting experiment at the very least (the genre-mashing of typical monster film and found footage that is)
    Exactly, add in the 9/11 parallels and you can't deny that it's an interesting concept to begin with.

One could argue how successful it was in trying to meld those aspects together.

I liked it but I'm not one of those shaky-cam/lost footage naysayers that seem to be very vocal these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

hrmmmmm.........

Total Recall is a brilliant popcorn blockbuster, Cloverfield is actually a technically superb film and very hard to knock if you "get" what its doing (even if the characters are initially a right "Blackberry clasping, loft living" pain in the ass) and just 90 minutes long for which much thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement