Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to holland.. advice needed

Options
  • 03-10-2011 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

hi everyone me and my gf are moving to holland within the next month or so,

just looking to see from irish who live there what its like, price wise, is it hard to find a job, what area to live in etc..

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Moving to Randstad/Holland or just Netherlands in general? If you only speak English, then try Undutchables.nl

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭davemc180

hi thanks for the reply, well netherlands in general anywhere really thats on the commuter routes to the main cities.. was thinking of utrecth or haag..

but anywhere will do really, wen i land im going to look for casual bar work etc, any tips on living there??

davemc180 wrote: »
    hi thanks for the reply, well netherlands in general anywhere really thats on the commuter routes to the main cities.. was thinking of utrecth or haag..

but anywhere will do really, wen i land im going to look for casual bar work etc, any tips on living there??

Den Haag is nice and has a nice beach but is quieter than more northern cities (by that I mean 20 minutes north, so not like, the FAR north!).

If you are in the randstad, getting around is easy by train and bike, you won't need a car. Leiden and Utrecht are university cities with a good student population, and also a very quick 20-25 mins by train (very cheap) to Amsterdam if you decided you wanted something more.

Not sure about bar work, you need more Dutch outside of Amsterdam if you are working not in a multinational. Den Haag is the the longest journey to the airport and Amsterdam (~ 50 mins) so I would not recommend it if you fancy travelling around a bit. If not in Amsterdam, I would recommend Leiden or Utrecht. Leiden is near the water, Utrecht is inland and much closer to Germany, it's also the main train hub for the country so again, location for living depends on what you like to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭davemc180

thanks for the help i think were goin to go and stay in amsterdam.. can you give me any tips on renting as all the sites iv been on charge a month rent as a fee for arranging everything, thats a bit harsh, im on expatriates.com but im a bit worried about dealing with someone threw emails incase i get there and they dont show up???

any tips on what way you got set up...

thanks for all the advice really means alot

davemc180 wrote: »
    thanks for the help i think were goin to go and stay in amsterdam.. can you give me any tips on renting as all the sites iv been on charge a month rent as a fee for arranging everything, thats a bit harsh, im on expatriates.com but im a bit worried about dealing with someone threw emails incase i get there and they dont show up???

any tips on what way you got set up...

thanks for all the advice really means alot

OK here goes, and probably will be a little long but others might find it useful as well:

Summary: it's quite hard (too many renters too few places) and time consuming (~months) to get a rental place in Amsterdam.

Basically: without having lived or payed tax in the country, you will have access primarily only to the private sector rental market which is effectively only around 10% of the total market in Amsterdam - the other 90% is heavily regulated and controlled. A canal hosue apt might go for €300 a month to a Dutch long term resident, and the private sector apt in the same building might be €2000. Sort of like rent-control like in New York (unsurprising given the background to New York, perhaps!).

You need to rent with a proper contract which allows you to register with the Gemeente (civic authority) for any particular city. If you are in a sublet or illegal sublet (and you might not know you are), the gemeente can evict you within days. So, the solution is a regulated private sector market - the Makelaars (Estate Agents).

I have found that the normal setup is like this:

1. Old apartments: (e.g., canal houses and so on)
    unfurnished - 1 months deposit + agency fee of 1 month (a fee, not a deposit) + first months rent
    furnished - 2-3 months deposit + agency fee of 1 month + first months rent

2. New apartments:
    - usually unfurnished
    - may also have no floor (i.e., just concrete)
    - agency fee of e.g., only 200-300 up front, and then first months rent. I.e., no deposit, you just payt first month and the relatively small agency fee

You will find it difficult to get a private sector rental under €1250 or so. It's not a real floor, but the competition is huge and many apartments are gone before the advert goes online. Remember though, the makelaars are workign for you as you are paying the fee - you register with one, tell them what you want, and then they find it. They do actually work, but it's pricey and discourages regular moving.

There is also an insanely detailed housing commission which can adjust your long term resident rent it seems based on how many bricks are in your south facing wall and if you used a particular paint thickness (I am exagerating) (mostly). This is for long term residents though.

The easiest way is to get a short term apartment which will run you €1200 or so for a month. Use that month to find a place. They go so fast it takes e.g., 2 months unless you ahve a lot of money to spend (i.e., over €1500, there is less competition, so more choice) (but remember, many companies pay for people's rent who are expats so that adds to competition as well). EDIT: actually you could get that much cheaper maybe€600-700 for a basic studio - there are a lot of short term month to month legitimate lets and local B&Bs will often negotiate weekly or monthly rates. BUT - they go way way in advance (months) so plan ahead. Hotels are really expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

After moving over to Etten-Leur (near Breda) to play rugby for the year, seems like a cool place over here, everyone seems to have pretty good English, which was opposite to what I had heard before coming over. Met a couple other Irish playing for Utrecht, so there should be at least a few Irish there anyways. Havent yet made it as far as Amsterdam yet though.

Must say, fair play to dissed doc, thats some great advice for somebody looking to come over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

We're in Eindhoven, alot of Irish people here. Unfortunately we haven't made a real connection with anyone Irish as yet, alot of people go to the Irish bar at the weekend but tbh we're not big fans of it- the family who own it are a bit cliquey and we've got out of the habit of meeting people in pubs as we're not living in the city centre anymore. Have met loads of people through the Couchsurfing network though, we don't really do it but everyone involved in Eindhoven is around our age so it's been a good way to make friends.o have

You would want to have decent employment nailed down before you get here, as overall expenses ar much higher than at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭hybie

You might want to check out these sites for Amsterdam accom:

http://elynx.nl (Under notices)
    http://kamernet.nl/

Agency:
    http://www.jlgrealestate.com/English/ (They charge a smaller fee than a month's rent)

For getting to know people, you should get in touch with the Amsterdam GAA Club: http://www.amsterdamgac.nl/new/Contacts.html

Even if you don't play, there's a lot of social members and a great way of getting to know people in The Netherlands, as they have a lot of members from other parts of The Netherlands, and not just Amsterdam

• Registered Users Posts: 1 niallmac88

does anyone know what the story is with work in glasshouses over there can you get work before you leave any info greatly appreciated :-)

Advertisement