Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glacial 3.2 League Event AND Tournament - Limerick, 8th October 2011

Options
  • 27-09-2011 12:28pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    It's been a while but we're ready to start back with events in Limerick. As you know, we have discussing how to best serve both our local players and those of you from further afield.

It seems very clear that a weeknight league would better cater for the Limerick players, and proper tournaments on a Saturday would be of greater interest to players from all over the country.

Because a number of out-of-town players attended the first league event of the season, it woud be unfair to move the league to a week-night midseason. However, we do want to start running proper tournaments as soon as possible.

With all this in mind, we are going to be running a day of SSF4AE which will incorporate a league event followed immediately by a proper tournament.

Venue: Moviedrome, Limerick
    Date: Saturday 8th Octover 2011
    Preregistration: 1200-1230
    League Event: 1230-1430
    Tournament: 1430-1830

Given the fact that this will be the first time we are running this, we need to make sure that events start and finish on time. The league should be finished in 2 hours and we can push on with the tournament after a short break.

The price of the event is to be determined, as I need to speak to the owner of moviedrome regarding the finances. It will probably be 15 euro as with other events, and any discounts will go towards the prize pool.

TOURNAMENT RULES (modified from Inferno rules)
    The format is groups into a top 8/16 double elimination bracket. All matches played are best of 3 in groups and in the top 16 bracket. We’ll be running on 360. There is no seeding for either event, but tournament results will count twoards for the seeding of future tournament events. Please bring your own controller/converter!

Tournament Rules and Format
    Prize pot will be split 60/30/10 among the top 3 finishers.

Format is as follows, a seeded group stage followed by a double elimination stage. Each match in the group stage will consist of 3 sets with each set beings best of 3 rounds. The third set of a match in the group stages will only be played in the event of a tie after the second set. If one player wins the first 2 sets the third set is not played.

After the group stage is over a draw will take place to determine the first round upper bracket matches of the double elimination stage. Winners of a group will be randomly drawn against the runner ups of other groups. The first round of the lower bracket will also be a random draw from the players who lost in the first round of the upper brackets.

Each match in the double elimination stage will be best of 3 sets and each set is best of 3 rounds.

People who arrive after the tournament starts are not garunteed a place in the tournament but we will try to acommodate them if possible.

1. All characters are selectable.

2. Custom controllers and button configuration is allowed.

3. Turbo is banned. Anyone who is caught using this feature will be disqualified.

4. Players can change characters in each round of the double elimination phase. However once a match has started they may only change characters in a match after loosing a set. The winner of the first set must stick to his character he started the set with and may only change if he looses the second set, in which case the winner of the second set must then stick to the character he used in the second set.

4. Double Blind select available in the event of people being concerned about counter picking. An admin will assist with this if required.

5. Rock, paper, scissors is used in the event of people being unable to agree on which side they want to sit on.

6. In the event of a player pausing a game during a round or his stick/pad fails during a round, he forfeits the round unless both players agree to carry on. If there is a dispute an admin will resolve the dispute.

7. Players who are overly disruptive during a competition or who are distracting other players can be removed from the tournament at the discretion of the tournament admins.

LEAGUE DETAILS
    Prize fund:
    One overall money pot now. €3 per session per player will go into the fund for the end of season. Top 3 get a payout. Once again, a raffle prize (David Sirlin's "Playing To Win") will be up for grabs; each attendee gets one ticket per session attended.

2nd: 12
    3rd: 10
    4th: 8
    5th-8th: 6
    8th-16th: 3
    16th-xth: 1

Format:
    Straight-up league. Everyone plays everyone in a best-of-three match.

League Standings after Session 1:
    1st: Shokashi - 15 points (+15)
    2nd: FutureGuy - 12 points (+12)
    3rd: D4RK ONION - 10 points (+10)
    4th: Robert - 8 points (+8)
    5th-8th: Burning Eclipse - 6 points (+6)
    5th-8th: Sabre0001 - 6 points (+6)
    5th-8th: Nathan - 6 points (+6)
    5th-8th: Mr. K - 6 points (+6)

Will you be attending Glacial 3.2? 8 votes

Absolutely!
    0% 0 votes
    Won't be there.
    75% 6 votes
    Not sure.
    25% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I believe I was promised that someone would supervise my trip this time!!:pac::pac:

Dead cert that I'll be there.

How are Cork people making the journey? If that lift is still on the cards Matt can I throw my name in, I'll sort ya out with petrol money and "special favours".

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

mackg wrote: »
    I believe I was promised that someone would supervise my trip this time!!:pac::pac:

How are Cork people making the journey? If that lift is still on the cards Matt can I throw my name in, I'll sort ya out with petrol money and "special favours".

Good stuff mackg!

Remember guys, if you check the bargain alerts forum, there is a thread for Irish Rail thread where you can get a 15% discount on trains booked on Tuesdays and Saturdays!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Count me in Tony. Shoot me a mail to discuss any help I might be able to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I'll be up in some shape or form.

Man it's going to be a travel heavy few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Shokashi

mackg wrote: »

I may have trouble regarding transport to the event. But it will not hinder my ability to make my way there on bus. For those in cork willing to go should make arrangements to those who have not been wo that we can travel in a group there.

I will help anyone who does not know how to get there...........get there :)

• Advertisement

^^Sounds like a plan!!

Mike, will do!

I sat down to play SSF4 for the first time in about a month. Man, practice is required!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Stop, my Honda is in worse shape than I can ever remember. I'm so formulaic. Jump in, eat anti-air... repeat :pac:

Really looking forward to this. Would love to get a decent crowd at it.

We'll have 3 tvs and 3 xboxes running in tandem for this so we should be able to cut through games pretty quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Horrible that I have work the weekend, was getting back into the feel for AE too recently. Hope this goes well guys and get some footage for those that cant be there to make them wish they did :pac:

• Advertisement

Just to confirm everyone, I have 2 copies of AE on disk. Does anyone else have a third that they can bring? No panic, as I have AE downloaded on my xbox and can bring it (but will need a physical copy of Super)

There's no need for anyone to bring monitors or xboxes so travel light everyone!

If anyone wants help with travel/directions, please drop me a PM and I'll give you my number!

Also, with the event in Belfast not on the same day, it's critical that we get good attendance. Make sure to text anyone that might be interested in playing! Haven't heard from Nathan or a few other semi regulars.

There's also an event in Waterford the same day. This Saturday is quite packed!

I can bring up my copy of Super. I may have a disk copy of AE before Staurday. I'll let you know if it arrives.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

There's a pub tournament in Dublin, too...

There's a pub tournament in Dublin, too...
    That's at night. Anyone traveling can make both :pac:

Also, to all the Cork people traveling: our best bet is the 09:25 bus from the Bus Station on Merchant's Quay. That'll get us there before a little before the tourney opens, but we can get food somewhere or something.

The return trip is at either 18:35 or 19:35. Which one we get depends on how long the tournament runs for.

Morning all!
    We might have one or two new players also attending tomorrow. Sairus/Matt/Misty...who is coming from Cork tomorrow? Just want to confirm numbers. If there is a chance we can run the event on 2 set-ups, it's going to save 20 euro wehich means cheaper entry/more prize money.

also Mackg will be attending with a few other of which i was not told. hopefully either me or sairus will be able to tell you who else will attend :D

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hi all,

The price of the event is to be determined, as I need to speak to the owner of moviedrome regarding the finances. It will probably be 15 euro as with other events, and any discounts will go towards the prize pool.

so would that be 15 in total or 15 plus league fee's

just want to make sure what the total amount needed to bring to enter the whole thing. sorry have a bad habit to confuse myself so questions will be asked :p

I would assume that only 3 or 4 of us are heading up.

Shokashi wrote: »
    so would that be 15 in total or 15 plus league fee's

just want to make sure what the total amount needed to bring to enter the whole thing. sorry have a bad habit to confuse myself so questions will be asked :p

Thanks Matt,

Its 15 euro all in. That includes league event entry, tournament entry and rental fee for venue for 6 hours.

Great that mackg will be bringing people as we are missing 1 or 2 key players this Saturday, and there are so many other events going on nationwide that it's diluting the player pool.

I have a feeling there may be more cork players than local players at this, but the important thing is that we get some xp in running tournaments and everyone that attends has a good time!

Colleges are back and I have meet a few people that are interested in playing in these events but they won't be relocating to Limerick until mid October.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I'll be there as well tomorrow, just to confirm. I'll also bring a copy of Super in my bag just in case.

• Advertisement

Not sure how this rumor got started but the only one I'm bringing is myself I'm afraid. Just the four of us altogether from what I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

Good luck with the tournament lads. Raging I've been off the past 2 saturdays so really thought I could get this one off...

Hope things run smoothly.... And that a limerick man wins! :D

Thanks to everyone for attending today. Given the fact that there are so many tournaments running today, we were happy just to run an event.

Both tournaments rang smoothly and on time. Long store short, the Cork lads dominated both the league and the subsequent tournament. Pretty sad day for Limerick :) We need to get back to playing regularly guys!

GSL 3.2 League Results
    1st: Shokashi - 15 points
    2nd: MackG - 12 points
    3rd: Sairus - 10 points
    4th: Futureguy - 8 points
    5th-8th: MistyChaos - 6 points
    5th-8th: Burning Eclipse - 6 points
    5th-8th: Mr. K - 6 points

Current League Standings
    1st: Shokashi - 30 points (+15)
    2nd: FutureGuy - 20 points (+8)
    3rd: Burning Eclipse - 12 points (+6)
    3rd: Mr. K - 12 points (+6)
    3rd: MackG 12 points (+12)
    6th: Sairus - 10 points (+10)
    6th: D4RK ONION - 10 points (+0)
    7th: Robert - 8 points (+0)
    8th: Misty Chaos 6 points (+6)
    8th: Sabre0001 - 6 points (+0)
    8th: Nathan - 6 points (+0)

Tournament Results
    1st - Shokashi
    2nd - MackG
    3rd - Sairus
    4th - Misty Chaos

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Sorry I couldn't be there guys, I'm totally bogged down with work and couldn't afford to spend 6 hours this weekend travelling home to Clare and back again. Futureguy, you need to hit me up for some online games sometime :)

GG on running this and congrats to ShoCody.

thanks onion.

GG to everyone, i think this was a good GSL so far, reasons are obvious to those who were there :pac:

looking forward to the video uploads, we did have some random fight glitches today (Misty vs Mackg and Sairus vs Mackg)
    this is what happens when cork players play street fighter.the rules of the game do not apply :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I'd be lying if I said I was happy with my performance today. It was the saltiest I have ever being. That said, I guess its something I needed to bring home the fact that ex-pinwheel is a stupidly unsafe move and that I should be using Bison more in actual tournaments!

But seriously, thanks futureguy and everyone else for letting me know where I am screwing up. Today brought it home and I will seriously take what I was told to heart.

I'd be lying if I said I was happy with my performance today. It was the saltiest I have ever being. That said, I guess its something I needed to bring home the fact that ex-pinwheel is a stupidly unsafe move and that I should be using Bison more in actual tournaments!

But seriously, thanks futureguy and everyone else for letting me know where I am screwing up. Today brought it home and I will seriously take what I was told to heart.

It a continual learning process man, when I go to casuals in Dublin I could write a book based on what im told im doing wrong. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

So wheres the goods? I want to know what dirty tricks those cork people played to cheat us out of our own local tournament :D

Videos shall be up in the morning! Apologies for the delay, but I have been disgracefully busy! :D

• Advertisement

Sairus wrote: »
    Videos shall be up in the morning! Apologies for the delay, but I have been disgracefully busy! :D

some good videos of me getting battered to come!:(

Congrats to matt ggs to all, hope to see a limerick player or two at the next tempest.

Advertisement