Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street View and World War 2

Options
  • 14-09-2011 5:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭

I was thinking about the idea of 'Then and Now' photos you sometimes see on the web, and thought, why not use google street view for the same purpose ? So i'll get the ball rolling with these.

I lived in a suburb of Munich called Allach. The Krauss Maffei Works was down the street, and was a target for Allied bombers during the war. I can't find any info about exactly what vehicles they produced during the war, but today they make the Leopard II MBT. There was also the ruin of a factory called Diamalt closeby, who made lozenges and sweets issued to the Wehrmacht.

Recon photo of Allach taken in 1944.
    Main railway (todays S-Bahn line), is to the left of the factory, and runs N/S
    allach1944copy.jpg

Krauss Maffei Works = Orange dot
    Air Raid Shelter = Light blue dot
    Diamalt Factory = Yellow dot
    Railway track, (today a pedestrian walkway) for transporting vehicles, leading to a main rail junction/depot = Red dot
    Rail Junction/Depot = Green dot
    Unidentified buildings, Barracks or huts ? do not exist today = Pink dot
    Position of Tanks on todays pic = Flesh coloured dot

Allach 2011
    allachcopy.jpg

Air Raid shelter today.
    allachairraid.jpg

Where railway track once crossed the main road at top of 1944 pic, looking towards Red dot in 1944 pic.
    allachtanktrack.jpg

Where railway track once crossed the main road at top of 1944 pic, looking towards Rail Depot.
    allachtanktrack2.jpg

Taken from site of unidentified buildings in 1944 pic, looking across field towards Krauss Maffei works.
    km1.jpg

Diamalt Factory - Diamalt Brand Sweets 1 - Diamalt Brand Sweets 2
    diamalt.jpg

Diamalt Factory - Taken from across railway in the 1970s, from below red dot on 1944 pic.
    diamalt3.jpg

Tank Testing track inside Krauss Maffei works Today.
    A row of Leopard II Tanks is visible slightly up and left of centre.
    kmtanktrack.jpg

Leopard II Tanks beside Testing Track.
    kmtanks.jpg

Anyone any ideas for similar WW2 sites ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Siegestor - just after the war.
    Bomb and fire damage is evident to building on RHS. Top floor is missing, and rubble is piled up at front.
    siegertor2.jpg

Siegestor today - Top floor of building on RHS has been rebuilt.
    siegertor.jpg

Siegestor - 1945 / 2011
    siegestormix.jpg

Hitler and Mussolini outside central station Munich 1938
    MunichCentralTrainStation1938MussoliniAndHitlerOutside1.jpg

Outside central station Munich 2011
    Hitler and Mussolini were standing, just where the man is standing at the Parking Ticket vending machine on the RHS.
    Most of the surrounding buildings were destroyed during the war.
    MunichCentralTrainStationtoday.jpg

Haus Der Kunst 1939 - House of German Art
    hausderkunst4.jpg

Haus Der Kunst - House of German Art 1939 / 2011
    hausderkunstmix.jpg

hausderkunst3.jpg

hausderkunst2.jpg

Haus Der Kunst 2011 - House of German Art
    hausderkunst1.jpg

Haus Der Kunst 2011 - House of German Art
    Troops on Parade in 1939 pic are standing on this street outside Art Gallery.
    hausderkunst.jpg

Feldherrnhalle - Munich
    feld.jpg

Feldherrnhalle 2010
    feld3.jpg

Allied Soldiers at the Feldherrnhalle - Munich 1945
    Derogatory Graffiti includes the names of 3 Concentration Camps : Dachau - Velden - Buchenwald
    feld2.jpg

Ghosts of 1945 at the Feldherrnhalle - Munich 2011.
    feldmix.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Great work Marc- Any ideas what the graffitti says below the names of the 3 camps? (You did say you lived in munich so might know!)

Great work Marc- Any ideas what the graffitti says below the names of the 3 camps? (You did say you lived in munich so might know!)

The graffiti is long since gone, and the full sentence is not visible. From what I can make out, what is visible in the 1945 pic reads:

'Sch**e mich dass ist ein Deutscher bin****' (sentence continues)

1st word could be Schade in German which means 'Harm' by itself. However in the context of what I think this sentence means, it reads:

'Unfortunate for me, who is German ****' (sentence continues) or 'Shame on me who is German ***' (sentence continues)

It's possible it was written here because the Feldherrnhalle (Field Marshalls Hall) was significant to the Nazi Regime, and many parades were held there. In fact SS soldiers swore the oath to Hitler at a parade held on this square.

EDIT : For posters who are unsure how to get pics from Street View? Open Photoshop (if you have it) or MS Paint first. Choose your Street View scene you wish to copy, press F11 at the top of your Keyboard to view in full screen, then press 'Print Scrn' button beside F12 at top of your keyboard. Minimise Street View, Maximise MS Paint, go to File, New, open new file, and then just 'Edit, Paste' and You're Done !! Street View pic should appear :)

Save to your Computer ;)

There doesn't seem to be any Street View available in Bad Tölz yet, but here are some pics I had of the SS Junkerschule from a previous visit.
    The main complex is now an Office Park. The sports field is gone. Only the indoor swimming pool remains, is still in use, and is open to the public.

Men at edge of main square in Bad Tolz SS Junkerschule, year unknown.
    bt5.jpg

Same View today. A new access to the complex was made on the RHS, by demolishing part of the original perimeter building.
    bt6.jpg

Wartime Ghosts of the Junkerschule 2011
    bt6mix.jpg

One of the Towers at the main gate of the Barracks.
    bt3.jpg

The same tower today. The original Archway has been removed.
    bt4.jpg

Main Gate, year unknown.
    bt1.jpg

Main Gate today, taken from inside the Office Park. The Archway has been removed.
    bt2.jpg

The SS junkerschule at Bad Tölz, was taken over by the American Army at wars end, and became the the base of the U.S. Army's 1st Battalion, 10th Special Forces Group until 1991.

Did some of Berlin

Berlin Victory Column 1945.
    siegertor1945.jpg

Berlin Victory Column today.
    siegertor2011.jpg

1945/2011
    siegertormix.jpg

Brandenburg Gate 1945
    berlin-1945brantank.jpg

Brandenburg Gate 2011
    bran2-1.jpg

1945/2011
    branmix2-1.jpg

Brandenburg Gate 1945
    bran.jpg

Brandenburg Gate 2011
    bran1.jpg

1945/2011
    branmix.jpg

Brandenburg Gate and Reichstag in Background 1945
    berlin-1945-115.jpg

Brandenburg Gate and Reichstag in Background 2011
    reichst.jpg

1945/2011
    reichstmix-1.jpg

Berlin Tourists at the Brandenburg Gate 2011
    berlintourists2011-1.jpg

Berlin Tourists at the Brandenburg Gate 1936 / 2011 as Hitler passes in car on left.
    Note people (possibly ss security men) on top of Brandenburg Gate.
    berlintourists1936-2011-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

marcsignal wrote: »
    It may be pidgin German and that is the full text.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

The graffiti is long since gone, and the full sentence is not visible. From what I can make out, what is visible in the 1945 pic reads:

1st word could be Schade in German which means 'Harm' by itself. However in the context of what I think this sentence means, it reads:

'Unfortunate for me, who is German ****' (sentence continues) or 'Shame on me who is German ***' (sentence continues)

It's possible it was written here because the Feldherrnhalle (Field Marshalls Hall) was significant to the Nazi Regime, and many parades were held there. In fact SS soldiers swore the oath to Hitler at a parade held on this square.

EDIT : For posters who are unsure how to get pics from Street View? Open Photoshop (if you have it) or MS Paint first. Choose your Street View scene you wish to copy, press F11 at the top of your Keyboard to view in full screen, then press 'Print Scrn' button beside F12 at top of your keyboard. Minimise Street View, Maximise MS Paint, go to File, New, open new file, and then just 'Edit, Paste' and You're Done !! Street View pic should appear :)

Save to your Computer ;)

The sentence would be: "Dachau - Velden - Buchenwald. Ich schäme mich, daß ich ein Deutscher bin."

It means: Dachau etc...I am ashamed to be a German. The ß in daß is what we call an sz...it is often written as ss if the letter ß is not available on a keyboard like in dass instead of daß.

Some more shopped pics of Vienna

Vienna - Parliment Building 2011
    Viennaparliment1.jpg

Vienna - Parliment Building - Russian Ghosts of 1945
    Viennaparliment1-WW2mix.jpg

Vienna - Heldenplatz 2011
    Vienna1.jpg

Vienna - Heldenplatz - Russian Ghosts of 1945
    Vienna1-WW2mix.jpg

Vienna - Heldenplatz - Russian Ghosts of 1945
    Vienna2-WW2mix.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I was thinking about the idea of 'Then and Now' photos you sometimes see on the web, and thought, why not use google street view for the same purpose ? So i'll get the ball rolling with these.

I lived in a suburb of Munich called Allach. The Krauss Maffei Works was down the street, and was a target for Allied bombers during the war. I can't find any info about exactly what vehicles they produced during the war, but today they make the Leopard II MBT. There was also the ruin of a factory called Diamalt closeby, who made lozenges and sweets issued to the Wehrmacht.

Anyone any ideas for similar WW2 sites ?

iirc the KM munich factories mainly made locomotives but they did also manufacture the SDKFZ 8 heavy half track.

An interesting one might be Schweinfurt, a relatively small town that just happened to manufacture the majority of ball-bearings, it had half a dozen ball bearing factories that the allies wished to destroy. It was the target of long range 8th air force attacks in late 1943 and early 1944 and a heavy toll was taken by Jagdwaffe. The following site gives some decent aerial pictures (although there surely must be better ones) http://www.thirdreichruins.com/schweinfurt.htm

Nice 1 BlaasForRafa, I'll have a browse through that :)

and some of London

Queen Victoria Street London 2011
    QueenVictoriaStreetLondon.jpg

Queen Victoria Street London 1940 / 2011
    QueenVictoriaStreetLondonMix.jpg

St Pauls from Distraff Lane 2011
    StPaulsfromDistaffLane-London.jpg

St Pauls from Distraff Lane 1940 / 2011
    StPaulsfromDistaffLane-LondonMix.jpg

Tower Bridge from London Bridge 2011
    TowerBridgeLondontakenfromLondonBridge.jpg

Tower Bridge from London Bridge 1940 / 2011
    TowerBridgeLondontakenfromLondonBridgeMix.jpg

Tower Bridge from London Bridge 2011
    TowerBridgeLondontakenfromLondonBridge2.jpg

Tower Bridge from London Bridge 1940 / 2011
    TowerBridgeLondontakenfromLondonBridge2Mix.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 matchu

These images are from Villers Bocage, and Villers-Bocage Through the Lens (After the battle):

villerstank1new250hw.jpgvillerstank1then250hw.jpg
    villerstank1oldnew250hw.jpg

Next one is just a few metres down the road, heading for the Town Centre:

villerstank2now250hw.jpgvillerstank2then250hw.jpg
    villerstank2thenandnow250hw.jpg

Those are great matchu :)

@ BlaasForRafa.

I emailed that guy who owns the 'Third Reich in Ruins' website, asking his permission to show some work I did on pics of Schweinfurt that I took from his site. Hopefully he will give me the ok to post them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Those are great matchu :)

@ BlaasForRafa.

I emailed that guy who owns the 'Third Reich in Ruins' website, asking his permission to show some work I did on pics of Schweinfurt that I took from his site. Hopefully he will give me the ok to post them here.

Good stuff, I've checked with google maps and the railway yards are still there and are still surrounded by factories. At least one, the former Kugelfischer-Georg-Schäfer works is now called Schaeffler Technologies and still manufactures high quality ball bearing assemblies.

Schweinfurt came to mind as its a small town (same size as Waterford or Galway) but became the focus of inordinate attention from the strategic bomber offensive. Also the factories were quite near to easily identifiable landmarks which is handy.

and a few more of Berlin

Brandenburg Gate Berlin 2011
    bran2-1.jpg

Brandenburg Gate Berlin 1945 / 2011
    bran7mix.jpg

berlin-brandenburg-gate.jpg

Brandenburg Gate Berlin 1914 / 2011
    berlin-brandenburg-gate1914.jpg

bran3.jpg

bran3mix-1.jpg

Brandenburg Gate Berlin 1960s / 2011
    bran4mix.jpg

bran5mix.jpg

Brandenburg Gate Berlin 1945 / 1960
    bran6mix.jpg

berlintourists12011.jpg

bran8mix.jpg

bran9amix.jpg

Brandenburg Gate Berlin 1936 / 2011
    bran10mix.jpg

branden2011.jpg

branden10mix.jpg

Köln Cathedral Aisle 2011
    Klncathedralaisle2011.jpg

Köln Cathedral Aisle 1945 / 2011
    Klncathedralaisle19452011.jpg

Köln Cathedral Aisle 1945 / 2011
    Klncathedralaisle219452011.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Keir

A student gave me a crash course on Photoshop and I spent all of last summer obsessively Photoshopping dozens of then-and-now photos for my site tracesofevil.com.

Nice work Keir ;) Keep em coming :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Keir

Cheers, Marc! A few more, then....

You did a great job getting the angles to match etc

The one with Adolf at the grave is particularly ghostly :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Robin1966

Hello marcsignal,

That's a great posting, but while it shows the BMW factory I am less clear about where the actual concentration camp was and was therefore wondering if you knew.

I am researching the sub-camps of Dachau and might consider writing a book about the subject if I can gather enough material.

Thanks

Robin W, UK

• Advertisement
Advertisement