Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torchwood: Miracle Day - Episode 8 *Spoilers*

Options
  • 29-08-2011 3:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

LOL!...three days later, no thread....kinda says it all really :o
    Anyways, Q rocked!....are these the Torchwood clowns?....yes Q, yes they are :)

Not a bad eppy, nice twist with yer wan in the CIA being in-cahoots with the baddies, didn't see it coming. Oswald was ace!..lol, doing a jig to Elvis, and Jilly was good as well, category zero?, interesting.

Morphic field back in play, it was sort ofn a DS9 reunion with Q and Mjr. Kira...Gwen, ya bugger off back to Wales love! :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

i kinda gave up watching this. have ep 6 and 7 waiting for me to watch but i just CBA. i suppose i'll have to though as i hate leaving a show only half watched.

from what you just said though it seems to be picking up but IMO its kinda late to pack it all into the last 2 or 3 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Edit:

Looks like I was posting in the 01x07 thread instead of this one :/
    Well Yeah, that was the point I was trying to make, It just seemed to Drag on and on and on.

That was Nana Visitor at the end? the bird from DS9, Jaysus she has had a lot of Cosmetic surgery, I didnt recognise her :eek:

The CIA boss was played by Q as well, so the Miracle could of all been caused by him......

LOL!...three days later, no thread....kinda says it all really :o
    Anyways, Q rocked!....are these the Torchwood clowns?....yes Q, yes they are :)

Not a bad eppy, nice twist with yer wan in the CIA being in-cahoots with the baddies, didn't see it coming. Oswald was ace!..lol, doing a jig to Elvis, and Jilly was good as well, category zero?, interesting.

Morphic field back in play, it was sort ofn a DS9 reunion with Q and Mjr. Kira...Gwen, ya bugger off back to Wales love! :P

The null-field generator also looked like it could off been a prop in DS9 as well...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm kinda confused Richard how you can continue watching this turgid, incoherent, and plain amateur nonsense, and yet seemed not to enjoy "Let's Kill Hitler" from the parent show (though I'm first presuming you watched the first half of series 6 earlier in the year). Peoples' tastes are weird.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I dunno, at least the plot advanced in this one, we know people CAN die, we have a potential cure for the Miracle, we know the hub's been raided so its alien tech could be anywhere. I DONT like the idea of seperating Jack and Gwen as most of the good stuff so far has come from the two.

Rex is kinda growing on me now Q is the CIA hardass instead of him.

I know it's not Children of Earth but I don't think it's as bad as some are making out. Like, it's not offending me, the way some of the worse Who episodes or s1 or TW did, and by offending I mean treating me like I am stupid and just want fart jokes/ bad wards etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Anyone else notice we were declared bankrupt along with Greece, and when Spain joins us we'll collapse the EU? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I know it's not Children of Earth but I don't think it's as bad as some are making out. Like, it's not offending me, the way some of the worse Who episodes or s1 or TW did, and by offending I mean treating me like I am stupid and just want fart jokes/ bad wards etc.

I'm of the same opinion. It's mediocre. But it's not S1 Torchwood or S3 Doctor Who bad.

What does annoy me is on the one hand it's far too grounded (hardly any reference to alien goings on, you could be forgiven for thinking it was a standard crime/conspiracy show) while on the other hand, people don't behave anything like normal people. Like planning to burn Oswald alive, whatever happened to cruel and unusual punishment? If we were firmly in the Whoverse, you could suspend disbelief and write it off as 21st century Whoverse humans behaving differently but since in every other way it's a portrayal of our world, it's hard to suspend disbelief when people act out of normal character.

Stark wrote: »
    I'm of the same opinion. It's mediocre. But it's not S1 Torchwood or S3 Doctor Who bad.

What does annoy me is on the one hand it's far too grounded (hardly any reference to alien goings on, you could be forgiven for thinking it was a standard crime/conspiracy show) while on the other hand, people don't behave anything like normal people. Like planning to burn Oswald alive, whatever happened to cruel and unusual punishment? If we were firmly in the Whoverse, you could suspend disbelief and write it off as 21st century Whoverse humans behaving differently but since in every other way it's a portrayal of our world, it's hard to suspend disbelief when people act out of normal character.

That is why they set up Type 1 & 0, to legally declare people dead so laws/rights like that no longer apply to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That is why they set up Type 1 & 0, to legally declare people dead so laws/rights like that no longer apply to them.

And that's easy to do in a 21st century developed country? Look at how hard it is to get an abortion in most countries.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Stark wrote: »
    And that's easy to do in a 21st century developed country? Look at how hard it is to get an abortion in most countries.
    True, but when faced with a crisis of national proportions that affects everyone (or at the very least, has national / global reach), you'd be surprised how accepting people can be of something, or at the very least they display heightened emotional response. Look at Princess Diana's death & 9/11 for some real world examples.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

pixelburp wrote: »
    True, but when faced with a crisis of national proportions that affects everyone (or at the very least, has national / global reach), you'd be surprised how accepting people can be of something, or at the very least they display heightened emotional response. Look at Princess Diana's death & 9/11 for some real world examples.

^ yes, and it's obvious RTD is tryna pull a Hilter/Auswitchz situation here, draw comparisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

The best line in the episode Greece & Ireland bankrupt and Spain goin under. BRILLIANT

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I dunno can they no, its gettin a bit ridiculous at this stage, Bsarrrowman is more annoying than usual, and how many they deport Gwen

That red headed chick is interesting, I thought she WAS Family but now it turns out she's just an opportunist in the right place

Daines being a Cat0 thats interesting, would double jeoprady not come into play there, and the wan in the CIA being an insider.

also couldnt they just put Jack on the Null field til he regenerates

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

also couldnt they just put Jack on the Null field til he regenerates

That would involve going back to the CIA after trying to escape from them, and would also show that Jack knows how to work the null field.

Agree about deporting Gwen though. She's going to have deep vein thrombosis with the amount of flights she's taken

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

I have only ever watched " children of earth" and never any Dr. Who. They keep changing who plays the doctor what's that about? ! I like the actor who plays Jack and Gwen is a fine actor /woman! I thought this series had higher production values than COE which looked like it was done on the cheap. American money how sweet thou art.

The show is meandering a bit . There is no indication what part Daines plays overall .Why he was introduced.Thats annoying at this point. But Im still interested and will watch to the end. Great to See Q -nobody does sarcasm like de. Lancie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭MrVestek

They keep changing who plays the doctor what's that about?!

Well it's a way to keep the role fresh when the main actor leaves the series. The character can regenerate near death to stop himself from dying but this changes his personality and appearence when it happens.

I have only ever watched " children of earth" and never any Dr. Who. They keep changing who plays the doctor what's that about? ![..]

Torchwood is a spin-off show of Doctor Who. The Torchwood institute appeared in Who a few seasons back - primarily as an antagonist - & they figured it'd be nice to give it it's own show, set in the same universe & continuity. Captain Jack also appeared in the parent show, though not as part of Torchwood at the time. His immortality came about during his time on Who, in case you were wondering what that was all about! :)

The Doctor (that's his name, it's not Doctor Who) is the last member of an alien-race known as the Time Lords, who were like the galactic UN - all powerful but pretty impotent all the same. They were super-super-advanced, had time machines & were near immortal by "regenerating" when near death; all their cells would reset, causing a change in appearance & slight change in personality. The Doctor got bored with this insular lifestyle, watching the universe pass by, so stole one of the time/space machines (which they call a TARDIS) and left to explore the universe.

The result was about 40-50 years of TV shows where every time the actor playing the Doctor moved on, they wrote a "death" story where the Doctor got killed, regenerated and a new actor replaced him; which also meant you got a new angle & personality to write the character against. It usually coincided with the production team switching around so it almost guaranteed the show stayed fresh the entire time.

If you like Sci-fi I'd definitely give Doctor Who a whirly because it's fun, breezy, very wittily written & inherently an optimistic show that says you can be heroic without being a bully, the world is a wonderful place & that bow-ties are cool

Quick potted summary there :)

Advertisement