Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The John Kenny vs Derek Mooney tension

Options
  • 19-08-2011 3:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭

I didn't want to hijack the Kiely's thread, but this post has just confirmed that others are thinking what I have also thought for some time now - that there is some sort of aggro between Derek Mooney and John Kenny, the sports reporter, on RTE Radio 1.

Either Derek Mooney is completely oblivious to this, or is being professional in overlooking it, because he doesn't seem to become tense on-air. John Kenny, on the other hand, often sounds audibly annoyed, especially when Mooney interrupts him with questions. Kenny is only ever slightly moody with other radio hosts, most notably Mary Wilson, with whom he seems to almost enjoy banter.

As far as I have ever heard, the Kenny vs Mooney animosity (or almost so) was at its most tense on Monday or Tuesday this week, when Kenny actually seemed genuinely irrited with Brenda Donoghue and Derek Mooney on air, when they jokingly asked whether the sports reports would be covering Brenda Donoghue's foray into coaching a GAA team. I almost felt that John Kenny was going to tell Mooney to **** off. (think it was Monday's Mooney show, others might recall)

What's the story? Which side do you take? Personally I don't particularly enjoy Derek Mooney's style of hosting, but nevertheless John kenny comes across as extremely unprofessional and irritable in his reports on Mooney. I'm surprised he hasn't been told to grin and bear it, or been moved to another slot.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

later10 wrote: »
    What's the story? Which side do you take? Personally I don't particularly enjoy Derek Mooney's style of hosting, but nevertheless John kenny comes across as extremely unprofessional and irritable in his reports on Mooney. I'm surprised he hasn't been told to grin and bear it, or been moved to another slot.
    There will always be people at work you like and those you don't. There will also be people you can't stand. Radio will be no different. However, most of the time people try and get on with the work. Having said that, there are times when any of us get really annoyed and just can't hide it. I'd say the particular incident you refer to is one of those times for JK.

If JK himself asked for another slot would he also be told to ask for another job? Sin é an ceist.

Maybe the head of sports/programming in Radio 1 is on holidays and is not listening to it. In normal times, one would imagine they would do something about it by limiting these guys exposure to one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Heard this on Tuesday. Mooney interrupted Kenny's report to ask a question which he answered very tersely. When Kenny finished, Mooney went off on ramble about a museum in Rotterdam that he should visit as Kenny said he was going to be in Rotterdam this weekend and therefore would miss the Celebrity Bainisteoir match. Kenny was quite aggressive in his responses and was borderline rude IMO. I thought he was going (and I bet he would clearly have loved to) to tell them to f*ck off!!!

Later both Mooney and Donoghue made a reference to Kenny being 'grumpy'.

Thought there was a clear animosity between them. What was strange was that either Mooney is very thick or the consummate professional not to have noticed Kenny's attitude. Or perhaps he did and just wanted to wind him up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Ah yes it was Tuesday,

Check out the exchange here, click on to 1 hour and 5 mins into the show

http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/209-r1-mooney-2011-08-16.smil

John Kenny makes the situation way more uncomfortable than is necessary in my opinion. He always comes across as really narky on the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

That won't load for me (thanks to RTE's blind devotion to the godawful abomination that is unrealplayer), but I take your point nonetheless.

Much of the aforementioned tension can be easily explained by the fact that Del Boy is an unsympathetic, lacking in social graces shrieker, who is forced to apologise on a regular basis for his gaffes, and who sees nothing beyond his pink coloured spectacles and his croaking intellectually challenged sidekick.

I'd find myself losing patience with him too, to be honest, especially if he earned multiples of my own salary.

Actually I'm not even sure that the relationship between Derek and the above mentioned the bould Brenda, is all that strong.

While I find the tension between Mooney and Kenny entertaining in a car crash sort of way (can't look away), ultimately, it's awkward listening, and that's bad radio in a Radio 1 context. And it is poor form for Kenny to make his dislike for Mooney so apparent.

If Kenny has issues he should raise them with RTE management, but he should be old enough to stop acting like a stroppy teenager (the man is significantly older than Derek Mooney). He needs to learn how to command a public position when on-air.

I usually don't rate Derek Mooney as a presenter, but at least he doesn't allow himself to rise to Kenny's narky tone, and in fact makes light of it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

The one thing i do notice about Mooney, is that he hates anyone to question his judgement when he feels a tad peeved off over something, usually a mountain out of a molehill type grieveance. He's an annoying and at times sarcastic little fella, remember the time he said something to a woman about her hair and was it her own. Turns out she was having chemotherapy. I remember the time Mary Byrne was on x factor, he'd have her for an interview at weekends, knowing she couldn't give away any insight into what was happening behind the scenes, he would push on her vulnerability to get gossip, that was really, really nasty.
    As for John Kenny, i feel he's really trying to do his job, making a good job of it, but Mooney asking him would RTE sport be reporting on Brenda's prowness in the sporting sense was pure stupid and petty of Mooney, he's a really annoying little Mammy's boy. Then again there's a lot of mammy's listening at that time of the day, as is their right. He also seems to have a real gay guest list, nothing wrong with that, but it just sits a bit plumey sometimes at that time of the evening. Only my opinion though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

That won't load for me (thanks to RTE's blind devotion to the godawful abomination that is unrealplayer), but I take your point nonetheless.

Much of the aforementioned tension can be easily explained by the fact that Del Boy is an unsympathetic, lacking in social graces shrieker, who is forced to apologise on a regular basis for his gaffes, and who sees nothing beyond his pink coloured spectacles and his croaking intellectually challenged sidekick.

I'd find myself losing patience with him too, to be honest, especially if he earned multiples of my own salary.

I listened to it using Media Player Classic :)

It did make for slightly uncomfortable listening alright though I find myself falling into the John Kenny camp on this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

later10 wrote: »
    Ah yes it was Tuesday,Check out the exchange here, click on to 1 hour and 5 mins into the show

http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/209-r1-mooney-2011-08-16.smil

Jesus later10, that's a bit sad, staying up til twenty to three to listen back to The Mooney Show.. however, what is sadder is that I read your post at 3am this morning and then pulled the section out and uploaded it to youtube.. :)

John sounds like a man who thought his career would have progressed to more than reading the sports news, and having to allow himself to be interrupted by Mooney..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

John sounds like a man who thought his career would have progressed to more than reading the sports news, and having to allow himself to be interrupted by Mooney..

It did, didn't it?
    I mean, didn't he have a rock show on a Sunday night at one point? About 10 years ago?
    I'm nearly positive.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

washiskin wrote: »
    It did, didn't it?
    I mean, didn't he have a rock show on a Sunday night at one point? About 10 years ago?
    I'm nearly positive.......

He did, late night on 2FM on Sunday Nights. And he had other shows before that. I remember his jingle 'This is JK on the Radio'.

John Kenny has always been something of a Jack of all trades

He covers many less popular Sports like Cricket, Swimming, MotorSport, as well as the odd bit of Music presenting.

I don't blame him for getting cheesed off with Mooney and O'Donoghue, they are like hyperactive children interrupting him in mid sentence, very unprofessional.

If they must have contrived banter, wait until the end of the bulletin.
    Let the man do his job, then you can get back to talking about Tits and Mary Byrne.

• Advertisement

Just watched and listened to Mooney and his sidekick o donoghue again. I swear to god, i'd love if Kenny told him to stuff the stuffed sparrow where the sun don't shine. Only problem is, mooney would probably love that experience. He's some twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

A right pair of twat's in fairness..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

He's not the first sports presenter to be pestered by and over-inquistive and pedantic radio presenter..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

The sparrows anecdote - Mooney was so pleased with himself for coming up with that supposedly off the top of his head - the mock self efacement -"did we just waste 2 minutes?? but its interesting".

He is nothing but a crashing bore, droning on, and of course he perked up his ears when Kenny had to say the words "Racing Metro's Lionel Nallet". He was thinking - sports guy trying to use the French pronunciation - I have to mock him.

The sparrows - that tale was not in any way interesting. And as for going to see them, youve seen one dead sparrow, youve seen them all, if this is the highlight of the Rotterdam Natural History Museum then Kenny should avoid as he said he would

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Two, three years back, people might remember, RTE Radio chose to cover Cheltenham through the medium of The Mooney Show.

Micheal Fortune was hired to on to give the lowdown on each race and suggest possible winners for the listeners. Before each race the host would ask Micheal which horse he, the host, should back. Michael would suggest a runner priced at reasonable odds, as you would, given that even the greatest gob****e has at least a glimmer of understanding that the market's odds represent any horse's chance of winning a race.

Mooney's invariable response to Michael's selections was "I don't want that, I'm going to back a horse at 100/1". Michael in turn would attempt to argue the foolishness of the host's position, but he was never for turning.

As someone said above Mooney, for whatever reason, is contrary.

As far as I know, Michael Fortune never appeared on the show again. And hopefully to this day is still in good health, despite the imbecilic provocation he suffered that day.

In fact, were the Mooney show, like the other radio shows during that Cheltenham festival, not actually betting money to give to charity? That makes it worse, imo.

Again there's no doubting that Derek Mooney is lacking in many respects - but if he's the choice that RTE management have decided to go with, then so be it. It isn't John Kenny's place to voice his irritation with Mooney on air - all presenters interrupt and ask questions of the sports reporters. If Kenny has a problem with that, why doesn't he express it off air? He's on air for about 5 minutes, if he can;t contain himself for 5 minutes of Mooney, then he should step further down the broadcasting ladder.

John Kenny needs to stop making for awkward radio, which is what this is for some people (although personally I can't stop listening because I'm intrigued to think that it might someday end with Mooney getting a sock in the jaw!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

You're dead right, the betting was for charity. Mooney's a self-indulgent clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Is it a case though that Mooney only gets silly when he has BD on?
    I'm still bamboozeled as to what purpose she actually serves apart from winding his silly key and setting him off :confused:
    RTE seems stuffed to the gills with pointless left-overs like her.

As for JK losing patience, I'm inclined to agree with Skid - keep the inane chatter until after the man has done the job he's paid to do.

One thing's clear from all this, that is, Mooney is surplus to requirements and O Donoghue has no function whatsoever. RTE are trying to save money, well, cut Mooney's salary by at least 50% this year and see him squirm. It's not that any radio stations, anywhere, will be queueing up to take him on. There's a few more in there as well that need to be brought into the real world, after all we are their bosses, we are paying them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

washiskin wrote: »
    Is it a case though that Mooney only gets silly when he has BD on?
    I'm still bamboozeled as to what purpose she actually serves apart from winding his silly key and setting him off :confused:
    RTE seems stuffed to the gills with pointless left-overs like her.

As for JK losing patience, I'm inclined to agree with Skid - keep the inane chatter until after the man has done the job he's paid to do.

Donohue is there for the 'tabloid' element of the show.

Down amongst the kind of people who will give a fcuk about a 'weight loss' competition or a 'new singer' or a 'celebrity cook' kind of shite.

Hard to believe but that's some people's cup of tea.

That's the kind of punter she is aimed at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Jesus later10, that's a bit sad, staying up til twenty to three to listen back to The Mooney Show.. however, what is sadder is that I read your post at 3am this morning and then pulled the section out and uploaded it to youtube.. :)

I don't listen to the show but this was the funniest thing I've listened to in a while. I sided with John Kenny; Mooney's always banging on about sparrows and blue tits, I can't bear his show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Derek Mooneys twittering/gadabout nonsense is just cringing. Not sure why his show has a need for a sports summary though given the likely profile of the audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Why doesn't Derek change tack and engage his trademark hilarious banter with the Newsreaders instead?

I'm sure Ann Doyle would be more than delighted to hear Derek let off a "BBYYYYYEEE" signature while Ann tells us Gaddaffi has flown the coop from Triple-ee. Then Brenda could muck in with a jocular aside relating to her in-depth knowledge of the financial crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

europa11 wrote: »
    Why doesn't Derek change tack and engage his trademark hilarious banter with the Newsreaders instead?

I'm sure Ann Doyle would be more than delighted to hear Derek let off a "BBYYYYYEEE" signature while Ann tells us Gaddaffi has flown the coop from Triple-ee. Then Brenda could muck in with a jocular aside relating to her in-depth knowledge of the financial crisis.

Agree - and you raise a good point. Why in name of all that's holy, is there this insistence on sportsreaders interacting with presenters?

Why don't newsreaders interact with presenters too?

It's like as if someone in the US/UK invented this trend and we have to ape them. Leave the sportsreaders read the f**king sports and stop this crap.

And it's not just RTE doing this either. This has infected some local stations too. For God's sake STOP IT NOW!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Heard this live and instantly knew that not all was well in John Kenny land and who can blame him...I would have throttled the two of them, that increasingly shrill headwreck Mooney and that always pointless foghorn Brenda.

However, Kenny was completely unprofessional. How hard is it to feign interest in a conversation for 5 minutes?!? Don't we all have to do it at weddings, funerals and dinner parties...and ffs, they're not even on the national airwaves for all to hear!

I reckon there must be a divide in RTE, between the 'talent' (...*cough, splutter, cough*...) and the news/sports depts.

Tubridy and the newsreaders anyone?

mike65 wrote: »
    Derek Mooneys twittering/gadabout nonsense is just cringing. Not sure why his show has a need for a sports summary though given the likely profile of the audience.
    What likely profile?

Sport is a recurring theme until about 7.30pm at night on Radio 1, nothing to do with "likely profiles".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭GSF

telekon wrote: »
    I reckon there must be a divide in RTE, between the 'talent' (...*cough, splutter, cough*...) and the news/sports depts.

Several hundred thousand euros wide I'd guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Oh this tension between the two of them has been going on a good while I think. About 6 weeks ago I think, they were talking about ultimate frisbee on Mooney and later, when Kenny was doing his report, Mooney asked him why he wasn't reporting on the Irish frisbee team, well Kenny nearly went for him.

I can see how Mooney is annoying but I think it is very unprofessional how Kenny reacts. He should keep it for off-air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Thud

slightly off topic but did anyone hear the row Paul Collins and Phil Cawley row on Today FM last year?

They clearly hate each other but Collins told Cawley "F*** you" after a particularly tense interaction, they replayed it in the end of year review, not sure where you'd find it but it was classic.
    The presenter vs Sports reporter thing must be common enough. That said Cawley tends to be very opinionated and rub a lot of people up the wrong way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mollie Breathna

Certainly not a fan of Del Boy's chirpy personality - he's got a nice little ego going there with plenty of half-arsed opinions masquerading as facts about lots of stuff.

But apropos the suggestion earlier in this thread - I would also love to see the outcome of a "bit o' banter" between Del and Anne Doyle - that'd soften his cough!

Advertisement