Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a complaint to An Garda Síochána

Options
  • 21-07-2011 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Not sure if this is the place to ask this but if I make a complaint will my name be divulged to the person I complained against?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭4ndroid

Should be confidential.......but i would think it depends on the crime.

Garda Confidential Line
    Address:

Telephone:1800 666 111

Email:

The Garda Confidential line allows the public to call with confidential information relating to matters of crime or other activities.

Give that a go

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Athlone_Bhoy

The person you're making the complaint about AFAIK has a right to know who it was that made the complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fred Cohen

4ndroid wrote: »
    Should be confidential.......but i would think it depends on the crime.

Garda Confidential Line
    Address:

Telephone:1800 666 111

Email:

The Garda Confidential line allows the public to call with confidential information relating to matters of crime or other activities.

Give that a go

Excellent idea, I hadn't thought of that. I just wonder if they are treated as official complaints (i.e. entered in a book) rather than a call centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

The Garda confidential line is for passing on information in relation to crime. It cannot be used to make a complaint of a crime against you. If you want to make an allegation of a crime against you it will be necessary to make a statement which will be available to the defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

First comment removed, totally misread the question!

If the matter goes to court, you will need to give evidence and of course your name will be given to the person in question. That's only fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭4ndroid

Crimestoppers

Crimestoppers is a partnership between private industry and An Garda Síochána which operates by encouraging people to report a crime by calling a freephone number. It guarantees anonymity and occasionally offers cash rewards for information pertaining to specific crimes, at the discretion of An Garda Síochána. Crimestoppers is staffed by trained members of the Garda National Bureau of Criminal Investigation.
    Callers do not need to leave their name or address.
    Crimestoppers Freefone can be contacted at: 1 800 250 025

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Just tell us what kind of complaint. It will make it a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Mutz

you could always go down to the local station and ask to speak in private with the Guard on the desk. He will invite you to make the complaint if you are happy to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

sdeire wrote: »
    Garda Ombudsman

http://www.gardaombudsman.ie/

If the matter goes to court, you will need to give evidence and of course your name will be given to the person in question. That's only fair.

He doesnt want to make a complaint against a Garda !

Mutz wrote: »
    you could always go down to the local station and ask to speak in private with the Guard on the desk. He will invite you to make the complaint if you are happy to do so.

This is what I would to do, unfortunaty this is a white collar crime which I have become aware of and I'm afraid that if I did complain it would be the end of my career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Fred Cohen wrote: »
    This is what I would to do, unfortunaty this is a white collar crime which I have become aware of and I'm afraid that if I did complain it would be the end of my career.

Okay, is there any guard anywhere in the country you would trust and know to speak with over a coffee? Relay the information to them and gain their input then as to your next step?

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Okay, is there any guard anywhere in the country you would trust and know to speak with over a coffee? Relay the information to them and gain their input then as to your next step?
    have spoken to 3 Members and they said, "you can make a complaint" but will my name be revealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

kerry4sam wrote: »

Or a solicitor for that matter?

If a crime has been committed, you have to decide whether or not to report it.

By not reporting it, you might be deemed to be obstructing the course of justice
    (I'm being devils advocate).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

have spoken to 3 Members and they said, "you can make a complaint" but will my name be revealed.

In order to make a complaint, you will be asked to make a formal statement.

The Guards will use that statement to investigate the allegation made. The defendant will be entitled to ask the guard - if questioned - the basis of the allegation. At that point the Guard will be required to say to the defendant "we received a complaint for Mr.Cohen.................."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

I would advise you not to go ahead with this complaint in public .

You can make a complaint , but when it is known who you are , you will be hounded ( mild word ) to make a statement .

If you are not interested in making an official statement , they will leave you alone .

But in my opinion / experience , either go anonymous or through a person in authority you trust , other than the GS .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

So there are at least 3guards so with this information then. I would bet with your that they would have enquired somewhere in the quiet about the matter further - do you agree?

As has been said before if you know of a crime being committed you should report but not everyone does. You have said it to 3guards, though not officially.

Is their anyone else that you are aware of who know of this matter who would make a formal statement and who wouldn't mind their name being out there? What did the 3say to you as regards making a statement, did they encourage it or when you relayed your fears, did they agree with you in not making a formal statement?

Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    He doesnt want to make a complaint against a Garda !

Misread that, sorry. Fixed!

Advertisement