Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The bleakest film you have seen. *NO LISTING*

Options
  • 08-07-2011 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

To say Michael Haneke's "The Seventh Continent" is pretty grim would be quite an understatement. DO NOT watch this if you are presently depressed. Next poster.

Mode note: no listing please. Discuss your choice or your post will be deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Emiko

'Requiem for a Dream' is up there.

It should be compulsory viewing in schools. 'This is what smack does to you, kids.'

The Garage is pretty damn bleak. Yeesh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

"The Road"

Jaysus.

Good film though,but bleak as fook.

Edit:FFS 2 in before me in less than a minute.

Must be bleak.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Come & See (1985)

Russian film about a Belorussian boy during WWII, his transformation into a complete shell of his former self while surrounded by the horror of the Nazis actions is pretty harrowing.

Highly recommended and highly overlooked war film in terms of the more popular American ones.

Plus, Ernest Goes To Auschwitz wasn't as humourous as I expected it to be. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Good Luck Chuck.

The film wasn't that bleak, but I heard people enjoyed it, which made me lose all faith in humanity. Doesn't get much bleaker than that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

The Black Swan was unsettling but nicely put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

As others have said, it's a toss up between The Road and Requiem for a Dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

Requiem for a Dream, every time.

Watched it in the IFI on a patron's night. Looked around me in the dying scenes and the amount of people with their hands over their mouths and a look of sheer revulsion/horror. That movie even gave me a panic attack trying to get out of the cinema at the end.

Gotta hand it to Aronofsky, no other movie has ever made me feel so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Schindler's List and the black and White production adds infinitely to the mood

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Threads.

A made for TV film that scared the bejeebus about of people in the 80's. About what would happen to society if a nuclear war happened. Was made to be realistic and was absolutely horrific to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

The Road - Jeaus, so grey and full of hopelessness...
    Winter Light (1962) - Christ, that was depressing!
    La Strada (1954) Heart-breaking and depressing!
    Requiem For A Dream - Mother of Jeasus!
    Lilyla 4 Ever (2002) - Shocking and certainly an eye opener (A very adult film)
    When the wind blows - The ending in particular! Bloody hell!
    Nineteen-Eighty Four (1984) - If we are heading that way for sure, shoot me now!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

The two bleakest I can think of are two of my favourite which perhaps requires a little time on the shrinks couch for me but hey ho........:D
    The Road
    30 days of night...

Grim grim grim!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

Emiko wrote: »
    'Requiem for a Dream' is up there.

+1
    I saw it when I was about 15 and never mind all the drugs, the double prostitution scene has always stayed with me as one of the most depressing things I've ever seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

Buceph wrote: »
    Threads.

A made for TV film that scared the bejeebus about of people in the 80's. About what would happen to society if a nuclear war happened. Was made to be realistic and was absolutely horrific to watch.

Think that was called 'The Day After'.

They showed it to us in school at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

magma69 wrote: »
    Irreversible *shudders*

Synecdoche, New York

Dancer In The Dark

The fire extinguisher off your mans face was quite something.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Amores perros is a pretty bleak and gritty movie, but it really is a fantastic watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Agree with tons here - also City of God, had to turn it off. The Constant Gardener, Blood Diamond, The Killing Fields. And Christiane F, about teen junkies in Berlin. Good god... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Think that was called 'The Day After'.

They showed it to us in school at the time.

Nope. The Day After was an American show, Threads was made for English TV. The media said that The Day After was a show for toddlers compared to Threads.

Buceph wrote: »
    Threads.

Its was bad - but you should try looking up an earlier BBC version of something similar.
    The War Game. (Semi film/documentary)
    Black and white - it was so bleak and depressing, the BBC (who made it) actually then banned it from their own screens for decades! :pac:

Note: The Day After FILM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_After
    (Loved the music at the start with the train rolling along the tracks - but the film itself, dark and dank.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

orourkeda wrote: »
    The fire extinguisher off your mans face was quite something.

Scarier than the "other" scene we won't mention imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Come and see
    Russian Film about the partizan war in ww2 in Belorussia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The Road

The Magdalene Sisters, what a bleak film. Some films are forgettable but you won't forget this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Forgot Apocalypse Now, apart from it's shear awesomeness, it's a pretty bleak and sickening movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Children of men paints an awful tale too...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,404 ✭✭✭cml387

Threads is bleak,but a useful reminder of where we might have finished up had things turned out differently.Plus I love good apaocalypse films.The Day After was just too...sunny.You can't have a good bleak film with all that midwestern sunshine.

The bleakest film I ever saw was "Looking For Mr Goodbar",where a nice schoolteacher visits the dark side for kicks and inevitably gets murdered.No redeeming feature whatsoever plus it starred Diane Keaton,my least favourite actress of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,991 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

Normally when a film ends people start chatting and are talking on their way out.

For that film there was complete silence. Even the bunch of teenage girls who talked most of the way through the film were quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭JimiWonderDoor 92

Im sure Angela's Ashes is already mentioned but that apart...

Breaking The Waves is one the greatest and most bleak films Ive seen.

Also, the ending to Million Dollar Baby was pretty depressing :(

Bleak?

Sophies Choice.

NEVER watch that if your soft-hearted. It will haunt you for the rest of your life - I swear.
    I saw it and by the time it was over till now, I still wish I had never seen it (even though it was well acted, etc).
    Bleak and haunting at times - my god, I'm still trying to forget it, especially at one scene that concerns a character called Sophie and a shocking choice she has to make.
    (If I had to make the same choice - I'd genuinely rather a bullet in the head)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

The Panic In Needle Park. A far better movie (if a little dated now) than Requiem For A Dream along the same lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,025 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The Human Centipede:o, and pretty much every movie on the SyFy Channel

Advertisement