Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Heavy rainfalls, thunderstorms possible -- Wed 6th July to Friday 8th

• 06-07-2011 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,268 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Heavy rain associated with a frontal system ahead of low pressure near the southwest coast may bring 20-30 mms of rain to parts of the south today, and this heavy rain will probably spread towards Leinster later this afternoon and into this evening. The low will circle around and promote a second wave of heavy showers tomorrow in many of the same areas, with further rains on Friday. Total amounts over three days could exceed 50 mms in some places and lead to some spot flooding.

This thread is for weather forum members to post further observations and ideas about what counties and regions are at risk of seeing heavy rainfalls as we go forward (and I go to bed). Currently rain is reported as rather heavy in Kerry and west Cork. I would expect parts of Clare, Limerick, Tipps, rest of Cork and Waterford to see downpours this morning, and the inland southeast mid-day. While amounts may not be exceptional, there is some potential for heavy thunderstorm activity to develop later in this band and increase the amounts and intensity of rainfall. Watch for this in Kilkenny, Laois, Carlow, Wexford and later Wicklow, Kildare, Dublin and Meath.

Overnight the heaviest rains are likely to spread north of Dublin and into Ulster eventually.

Tomorrow the plan seems to be for a general repeat of the same cycle as the low pressure reloads.

Freezing levels are falling low enough that hail may become more of an issue with the heavier thunderstorms.

On the bright side, parts of eastern Ireland may have sunshine for several more hours before this weather system gets close enough to spread cloud in from the south. The sunshine could last to mid-afternoon in some parts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Some lightning strikes off the west coast already.
    And it's only 9:30 am!
    Could be an interesting day. :D

http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

guys does anyone have the address for that site that shows the lightning strikes?

Google is not being friendly today :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

guys does anyone have the address for that site that shows the lightning strikes?

Google is not being friendly today :pac:

http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

this one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Moderate rainfall for the past hour, now it seems to have stopped but it is temporary going by the radar.

A strong looking back edge to the system, kinda looks like a squall line.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Looks angry as it approaches Dublin

Apologies for the bad quality !

Edit: And yes, a bird pooed on the window !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

Mainly moderate rainfall here also for the past few hrs or so.. Nothing really heavy as of yet..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Some heavy bursts of rain since 10.30am giving a total of 6.4mm

Data from www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭pauldry

pretty cool looking sat on www.sat24.com today

warm and sunny weather here in the "gap"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

^^^^ooo! there is a lovely curve on that !! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Sun is out , looks like the main rain is finished for now. Total 8.0mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

started to rain here now,still light though

Lashing down here now. Lovely. great evening for a walk:) Hope we get some thunder and lightning later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Is that it? a mere 4mm and now the sun attempting to come out.
    I'm not really surprised though, the Wicklow Mts usually act as a rain shadow in the Dublin area when rain spreads from the south.
    That's an interesting band of rain developing in a line from Derry to Galway.
    www.raintoday.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I live between Riverstown and Geevagh in SE Co. Sligo and we've just had two intense thunder storms in a row. Started at 6pm. Rain, hail, thunder, lightning and absolutely torrential rain. Drains and gutters couldn't cope. Fields are under water, roads are like rivers, and water is going into some houses. :(

I'm off to build an Ark...:rolleyes: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

genie wrote: »
    I live between Riverstown and Geevagh in SE Co. Sligo and we've just had two intense thunder storms in a row. Started at 6pm. Rain, hail, thunder, lightning and absolutely torrential rain. Drains and gutters couldn't cope. Fields are under water, roads are like rivers, and water is going into some houses. :(

It was a beautiful day in Sligo town today,zero rainfall and it was very hot. Best day of the year yet i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Two images. First just before 2pm, lovely vortex. Second around 7.40pm. Note the line from Mayo up into Derry, hence genie's t-storms.

166104.jpg

166105.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Both are amazing, Love the the definition on the cell in SE Sligo, would love to see a photo of that from the ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

genie wrote: »

I could hear the rumbles in the distance. I thought it would reach me here but it never did. Came close though....

rhunderstorm%252520clouds.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭ Harrison Hissing Backpacker

Was a serious down pour in athlone about 90 mins ago. Could hear it from inside cinema. Was quiet when walking out of cinema but was still coming down pretty heavy, which Leeds me to believe when we could hear it in cinema, it must have been unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭John mac

my photos dont do the black sky justice.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Just catching up on all this after a bit of a mental evening, we seemed to get a right doing today! I finished cutting grass at six and then the heavens oppened for a solid hour, never seen rain like it , drains and ditches not able to cope with it, on my way home I helped one poor woman who had two inches of water in her house it was like a river passing her front door. the heaviest rain looks to have fallen in a line about three miles wide. When I got up on higher ground the water was flowing down the fields and across the roads and they were starting to erode , when all this makes its way down to the low lands trere will be more problems.the pic was taken by a friend near St.James' well near gleann.

I think that the ESB line was struck by lightening too as my telly is dead and both mine and my neighbours sattelite dishes will not receive signal, :( poo!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Torrential rain here since around 7am. Garden is now water logged.
    I'm nestled nicely under the large red return @ 9:16 on the radar east of Galway city.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?LW=Galway

One strike west of Lough Corrib

image_b_fr.png

Strike gone from that link above now, it seems to update live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Some really vicious showers moving through now. Visibility down to nothing with angry looking scud clouds racing northwards.

Just catching up on all this after a bit of a mental evening, we seemed to get a right doing today! I finished cutting grass at six and then the heavens oppened for a solid hour, never seen rain like it , drains and ditches not able to cope with it, on my way home I helped one poor woman who had two inches of water in her house it was like a river passing her front door. the heaviest rain looks to have fallen in a line about three miles wide. When I got up on higher ground the water was flowing down the fields and across the roads and they were starting to erode , when all this makes its way down to the low lands trere will be more problems.the pic was taken by a friend near St.James' well near gleann.

I think that the ESB line was struck by lightening too as my telly is dead and both mine and my neighbours sattelite dishes will not receive signal, poo!

Snapshot of sferics yesterday at 7.00pm:
    166178.png

Although only a personal opinion based on satellite observation since January, those storms in the Mayo/Sligo/Leitrim/Fermanagh area yesterday evening may well have been the most intense storms not only in terms of frequency of lightning stikes, but also in duration, to have hit any part the British Isles this year so far. Even the storms in the SE of UK last week did not appear to have quite the same amount of sferics occurring in any one particular location for so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Are any of the thundery showers likely to hit the east ? Everything seems to swirling around the west then pushing up north...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Big clap of Thunder over Edenderry 5minutes ago. I was in side so i didn't get to see any lightning but I heard the bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭morticia2

pretty quiet in our glorious capital.....

Advertisement