Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-04-2011, 17:08   #1
Qualitymark

Firewood for woodstove

About to get a stove installed; now I'm wondering about the firewood. How much is it, where do you get it, all that.

For instance, I've seen this on donedeal.ie

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/heating/2047083

but have no idea if this is a good deal or bad, as I don't know how fast it'll burn, etc. All help and information gratefully accepted.
Advertisement
08-04-2011, 21:40   #2
nophd08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualitymark View Post
About to get a stove installed; now I'm wondering about the firewood. How much is it, where do you get it, all that.

For instance, I've seen this on donedeal.ie

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/heating/2047083

but have no idea if this is a good deal or bad, as I don't know how fast it'll burn, etc. All help and information gratefully accepted.
Dont waste your money, I presume you will store your wood in a shed or even outside so it will reabsorb moisture fairly quick. Just go for a normal load of hardwood, beech or ash if you can get it. 150-200 should get you a decent trailer load.
Idealy your wood needs to be seasoned so its a good idea to stock up now and keep it under cover or in a shed for next winter.
Have a search on the renewable energies forum, lots of threads about timber etc or post on farming and forestry, you might get some info there.
Thanks from:
08-04-2011, 21:53   #3
Qualitymark

Quote:
Originally Posted by nophd08 View Post
Have a search on the renewable energies forum
Can't seem to find it. Where is it, please?
08-04-2011, 21:59   #4
nophd08

Quote:
Can't seem to find it. Where is it, please?
In construction and planning.
Try here also http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=68928835

Last edited by nophd08; 08-04-2011 at 22:02.
08-04-2011, 22:10   #5
Qualitymark

Ah, thanks. Sometimes the thread geography on Boards is a little strange.

Edit: where do I find Construction and Planning? Can you give me the complete path for the forum, if you'd be so kind?

Oh, found it. Rec/Home&Garden/Construction&Planning/RenewableEnergies. Thanks.

Last edited by Qualitymark; 08-04-2011 at 22:28.
Advertisement
13-04-2011, 18:54   #6
KM88

Quote:
Originally Posted by nophd08 View Post
Just go for a normal load of hardwood, beech or ash if you can get it. 150-200 should get you a decent trailer load.
OK, hardwood I understand but can you define "normal load" and "decent trailer load". Oil is sold in litres and coal in Kg but timber is sold in "loads".
13-04-2011, 19:02   #7
Qualitymark

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM88 View Post
OK, hardwood I understand but can you define "normal load" and "decent trailer load". Oil is sold in litres and coal in Kg but timber is sold in "loads".
Exactly! I've seen it quoted in 'cubes' (cubic metres, I assume); tonne bags (roughly the same, apparently), 'cords' (?) and 8' x 4' trailer load - as I don't know how deep this is, I'm not sure if this is a cubic metre or two cubic metres.

I've seen warnings against buying wood by weight, as wet wood weighs heavier, and is just what you don't want.

I'm told that ash is a nice wood to buy, if possible. This site http://www.thegreenlivingforum.net has a forum on woodburning which has some good advice, including photos of different types of wood for recognition.
13-04-2011, 19:33   #8
KM88

Quote:
Exactly! I've seen it quoted in 'cubes' (cubic metres, I assume); tonne bags (roughly the same, apparently), 'cords' (?) and 8' x 4' trailer load - as I don't know how deep this is, I'm not sure if this is a cubic metre or two cubic metres.
Week after week in my local paper you can buy timber in €100, €150 or €300 loads.
13-04-2011, 20:38   #9
Qualitymark

Not to mention that it's a Wild West industry - no inspection of installation of stoves, no inspection of wood for standards of any kind, as far as I can see.
Advertisement
14-04-2011, 00:02   #10
Carlow52
Closed Account

Quote:
Not to mention that it's a Wild West industry - no inspection of installation of stoves, no inspection of wood for standards of any kind, as far as I can see.
Dont Agree: at least in the wild west u knew who the bad guys and dolls were, in this business you have no clue
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion