Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-03-2011, 17:22   #1
katy39

Can the Social welfare check your Bank Account

I'M just curious but do the Social welfare routinely check Bank Accounts or indeed can any government Agency check or do they just concertrete on major criminals and would they need your permission or a Court order . Don't worry I'm not a major criminal just interested

Last edited by katy39; 23-03-2011 at 17:49. Reason: Omitted part.
Advertisement
23-03-2011, 17:25   #2
eco2live

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy39 View Post
I'M just curious but can the Social welfare check your Bank Account or indeed can any government Agency check or do they just concertrete on major criminals and would they need a Court order .
Nope but they can ask request offical evidence from the Bank to what is in it. If not provided they can get a court order to provide this information. Copied statments won't do.
23-03-2011, 18:45   #3
greendom

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy39 View Post
I'M just curious but do the Social welfare routinely check Bank Accounts or indeed can any government Agency check or do they just concertrete on major criminals and would they need your permission or a Court order . Don't worry I'm not a major criminal just interested
When applying for social benefits they can ask to see recent bank statements. If you don't provide them chances are you won't get the benefit.
Thanks from:
23-03-2011, 19:15   #4
amen

Quote:
they can ask to see recent bank statements
can you just tell them you don't have one ?

Recent article in the newspapers that 25% of adults in Ireland don't have a bank account.
23-03-2011, 19:22   #5
Chaotic_Forces

Quote:
Originally Posted by amen View Post

Recent article in the newspapers that 25% of adults in Ireland don't have a bank account.
That'd be fraud.

Anyway, OP. Far as I know they can ask to request statements but also, I believe the means test is based on current money so if (for some reason) you happened to spend 50,000 in a few days before they want a statement you wouldn't have it as means. Again, I'm not sure so don't take my word on it.

How come you asked, anyway? Depending on what it's for they might not even care about your bank statements.
Advertisement
23-03-2011, 19:23   #6
mp22

Quote:

I`m nearly sure that your obliged to give accurate and honest details.in all dealings with the dept???
23-03-2011, 19:23   #7
greendom

Quote:

If you've got any sort of work history I don't think that would wash. Their aren't many employers these days who pay cash.
23-03-2011, 19:33   #8
eastbono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic_Forces View Post
That'd be fraud.

Anyway, OP. Far as I know they can ask to request statements but also, I believe the means test is based on current money so if (for some reason) you happened to spend 50,000 in a few days before they want a statement you wouldn't have it as means. Again, I'm not sure so don't take my word on it.

How come you asked, anyway? Depending on what it's for they might not even care about your bank statements.
SW would ask what the money was spent on and ask for proof. And would follow the paper trail if that amount of money went missing just a couple of days before a means test.
23-03-2011, 19:39   #9
Chaotic_Forces

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbono View Post
SW would ask what the money was spent on and ask for proof. And would follow the paper trail if that amount of money went missing just a couple of days before a means test.
I didn't think of it like that. Common sense would be "oh you just took out 50k, on what". Well I'm an idiot and thanks for explaining.
Advertisement
23-03-2011, 19:45   #10
eco2live

Unless you are talking about a lot of money it wont make difference. It only kicks in after the first 20k and the social welfare only drops a small bit for every 5 or 10k after that.

If you can trust a family member then you can transfer money into their account. If you are trying to explain where money went ie redundancy etc. then you can say that you had personel loans from family members and you paid them back. If its a lot of money then you should come clean and get what you are due (or not due).
23-03-2011, 19:46   #11
eastbono

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic_Forces View Post
I didn't think of it like that. Common sense would be "oh you just took out 50k, on what". Well I'm an idiot and thanks for explaining.
No prob thats why sw look for bank accounts going back a couple of months and if needed going back a year or so. And your not an idiot just that I know what happens and what to look for.
Thanks from:
24-03-2011, 00:27   #12
mrsbyrne

27.If you have savings or accounts in a bank, post office, building society, credit union or any
other financial institution, please state:
Name of financial
institution:
Account number:
Current balance: € , .
Financial Institution 1
Name of financial
institution:
Account number:
Financial Institution 2
Name of financial
institution:
Account number:
Financial Institution 3
Name of financial
institution:
Account number:
Financial Institution 4
Please attach a statement for each account, showing balance for the
last three months.

28.If you own stocks, shares or investments, please state:
Their value: € , .
the above taken (rather crudely) from the carers allowance application form by way of example.
http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Forms/Documents/cr1.pdf

Last edited by mrsbyrne; 24-03-2011 at 00:28. Reason: badly cut and pasted, by me.
24-03-2011, 11:03   #13
rentboy

Can anybody help/advise please?

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question regarding a one off weekly welfare payment in advance. I have just got more bills to pay this week and typically it clashes with rent. Anyway, as I am freaking out a wee bit I am wondering if anybody knows if I can go down to my post office tomorrow, Friday the 25th March, to collect NEXT WEEKS payment? I ask as I am already in arrears with bills and bank letters are getting on top of me. I need to pop down to the post office first thing basically. I am going to ring them later but just thought I'd ask here.

Many Thanks,
RB
24-03-2011, 11:48   #14
eco2live

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentboy View Post
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question regarding a one off weekly welfare payment in advance. I have just got more bills to pay this week and typically it clashes with rent. Anyway, as I am freaking out a wee bit I am wondering if anybody knows if I can go down to my post office tomorrow, Friday the 25th March, to collect NEXT WEEKS payment? I ask as I am already in arrears with bills and bank letters are getting on top of me. I need to pop down to the post office first thing basically. I am going to ring them later but just thought I'd ask here.

Many Thanks,
RB
Bring your bills down to the CWO. They will give you a cheque and deduct some of it from your payment next week.
24-03-2011, 15:17   #15
Granger13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentboy View Post
Hi everyone,

Many Thanks,
RB

You can apply to the CWO for an Exceptional Needs payment, , this is a once of payment th help meet the needs for lets say in your case bills, this payment is at the CWO discretion, but it is worth a try, as the worse he/she can say is no.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion