Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Changing face of Gaming: Pros and Cons

Options
  • 11-03-2011 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

I started gaming on a Atari St, back in the 80's.

The first ever game I even encountered was Gauntlet, the first game I played was Indiana Jones.

From my humble beginnings as a kid, I have pretty much played games on most games platforms over the years or at least had a console/up to date PC for each generation of gaming.

I have seen the games industry grow and evolve over 2 decades and for the most of it agreed with its progress. Lately though I find it harder to agree what I am seeing.

With console gaming becoming especially more prominent, there are certain trends that have emerged which from it which I epically disagree with or anything which you do agree with.

To name a few would be paid downloadable content instead of expansion packs, dumbed down gaming and games losing SP game-play in favor of its multi-player.

Anyone else see such new trends in gaming which are less than welcome?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

yes im pretty much on the verge of selling my consoles and giving up gaming but the pc still might have a few things that interest me. After to seeing what has happened to bioware ive pretty much given up on gaming

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Too tired to go into detail tonight but breifly the trends I don't like are!

Ping bars.
    Match making.
    Lack of Lan support.
    DLC.
    Achievements.
    Perks, unlocks and rewards.
    Regenerating health.
    Bloody Screen.
    QTE.
    Unfinished games on release.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Its something i think about quite a bit, i must say i love games right now but i do feel some titles have lost their "fun". I also have to take into account the looking back with rose tinted glasses effect too.

I was recently talking about games getting shorter and saying how games used to take ages to finish like Star Wars on the NES, that kept me going for months, but i recently dragged it out again and its only about 30mins long !!

I don't like the paid DLC on release day, or even before it as this week saw with Dragon Age having content on the PSN with the game not even in the stores.

I don't like the move to digital distribution, and i don't like the lack of freedom for bedroom developers to work in.

When i started gaming, game were made by weird guys with beards in their bedroom and given out for free. So a complete move to large corporations monetising the industry still doesn't sit completely comfortably with me, but at the same time its the only way games can reach the level they are at now.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Fouloleron

When i started gaming, game were made by weird guys with beards in their bedroom and given out for free. So a complete move to large corporations monetising the industry still doesn't sit completely comfortably with me, but at the same time its the only way games can reach the level they are at now.

Personally I think there has been loads of interest in games partly due to the fact they are now compared to film industry.

Problem is, it attracts allot of douche bag yuppie types who think they know what is "Best" for the industry , case and point is this sack of crap http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kotick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

I think this is the best time to be a gamer.

With platforms like Steam and GoG.com only going from strength to strength, we're seeing indie games finding success in ways which before the existence of such platforms would have been much more difficult. Sales are frequent on AAA games too so you have a wealth of things to play just a few clicks away.

XBLA and subsequently PSN (and to some extent WiiWare) have brought a wealth of new gameplay experiences to consoles that may not have reached us otherwise. Games like Braid and Flower are great examples of games that would not work under the old gaming model of the past.

With the iPhone and Android app stores we're seeing small developers (even individuals) find success with unique gaming experiences. Sure it's a platform in it's infancy and it has it's issues, but games like GameDevStory make me interested in buying one of these devices.

As I get older I'm finding I have less time to play games, so I don't mind the trend of single player experiences getting shorter. When that is coupled with game mechanics that never get stale and a highly refined and polished experience, I don't mind Portal only being 3 hours long or Vanquish being about 7 hours from start to finish. Besides, statistics show that most people don't even finish the games they play anyway, so why should developers spend more time and money on making longer games if few people actually finish them?

We also have games like Fallout 3, Mass Effect 2 and Red Dead Redemption that offer not only enthralling stories, polished gameplay and great music, but they are 20-50 hour single player experiences (depending on how you play the game). Games like this are selling well and there are more games like that to come, not less. If you include MMO's there are a wealth of games (many of which are free to play or don't require a subscrition, and let you play solo) available for you to enjoy.

My partner is also a gamer and I really enjoy playing games with her. The addition of co-op modes to games these days is just a fantastic development, a trend that I hope only gets more popular. It's a great way to spend time together and it even allows us to expose each other to genres we wouldn't usually play - I managed to get her to play Killzone 3 with me and she has ended up really enjoying it.

Being able to party up with friends and play games online together is just wicked fun and hilarious to boot. I don't know how this could be seen as a bad trend. Playing TF2 on a good server has been one of the greatest gaming experiences ever for me. What little I have played of Left4Dead was a blast too. I play my PS3 online regularly and I really enjoy partaking in the communities and clans that pop up around games.

I would say, don't tar all games with the same brush. Games like Assassin's Creed Brotherhood demonstrate that a game can have a lengthy and compelling single player campaign and an interesting and fun multiplayer component. Perhaps you're just not playing the right games?

As for DLC, some of it is ridiculous. The fact that literally millions of people are happy to buy €15 map packs for Call of Duty only encourages companies to nickel and dime gamers. However, there are plenty of games that deliver well priced or free DLC. I would much rather play the short €7 'Severed' campaign for Dead Space 2 than wait longer and pay more for an expansion pack. Valve are heroes pretty much for the support they give their games, so it's not all bad these days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Better than I could have ever put it, GothPunk.

I'd only add that there's never been a time of greater breath of choice or creativity than right now. There's less agreed upon sacred cows (partly due to the dissemination of information the Internet has caused) but if you can't find enough things you love then I'd say you're not looking hard enough.

We'll look back on these years with the rosiest of tinted glasses, that much is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Azza wrote: »
    Too tired to go into detail tonight but breifly the trends I don't like are!

Ping bars.
    Match making.
    Lack of Lan support.
    DLC.
    Achievements.
    Perks, unlocks and rewards.

Regenerating health.
    Bloody Screen.
    QTE.
    Unfinished games on release.

:confused:

gving people extra reasons to play games is bad? Overpriced DLC yeah, but in general extra stuff a few months down the line for a few bucks isnt a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Fouloleron

GothPunk wrote: »

I would say, don't tar all games with the same brush. Games like Assassin's Creed Brotherhood demonstrate that a game can have a lengthy and compelling single player campaign and an interesting and fun multiplayer component. Perhaps you're just not playing the right games?

As for DLC, some of it is ridiculous. The fact that literally millions of people are happy to buy €15 map packs for Call of Duty only encourages companies to nickel and dime gamers. However, there are plenty of games that deliver well priced or free DLC. I would much rather play the short €7 'Severed' campaign for Dead Space 2 than wait longer and pay more for an expansion pack. Valve are heroes pretty much for the support they give their games, so it's not all bad these days!

You make many good, valid points and many of the games that you have listed I have played myself.

Also, there has been no better time for gaming than now due to online connectivity and ease of multi-player (also i love TF2 and L4D), but you have to agree that a lot of negative practices have arisen too.

Yes there are a lot of games who provide long refreshing story lines and who have long SP campaigns, but (controversial point here) there is nothing new here and many are .. well the same.

For instance, I have played Assassins creed 2 and Brotherhood and they are the same game, the only difference being a tacked on multi-player with a leveling system oddly similar to MW2, (Dead space 2 and Red dead redemption as have done similar in their multi-player. so it looks like all the time we would have spent on SP will be to unlock standard items in Multi-player)

Again I have played Fallout 3 which is, in my opinion (and I am a fan of the game btw) Oblivion with guns. You also need to pay for its download content to provide any decent ending to the main story line.

In regards to Mass effect series, due to how the games all link up, forget about closure on plot points if you don't download some of the extra paid content (looking at you Lair of the Shadow broker)

I can go on and on about the industry but suffice to say : that for its good points, there is negative aspects springing up in gaming which are not good.

EDIT: Im more so pointing out the negative aspects which make games less fun for me to play and will negatively impact an industry which has been so far A+ in what it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Anyone else fúcking despise the iPad & the obsession with apple products the last few years.Particularly people saying they are ahead of Ninty & Sony with handheld gaming.I doubt the majority who play Angry birds has played Uncharted or finished Mario Galaxy.
    Oh & devs removing stuff from the finished product to sell as DLC eg Marvel vs Capcom 3,Star Wars Force Unleashed 2 & Assassins Creed II being scandalous examples of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

GTR63 wrote: »
    Anyone else fúcking despise the iPad & the obsession with apple products the last few years.Particularly people saying they are ahead of Ninty & Sony with handheld gaming.I doubt the majority who play Angry birds has played Uncharted or finished Mario Galaxy.

It's a completely different market that is having zero effect on you playing those 'hardcore' games. The thing I despise is the artificial battle between casual and hardcore some people try to create. There's some fantastic and wholly unique experiences to be had on iOS, just as there is on PS3 and DS. If people can't put petty hatreds of a company (Apple) or an idea (quick burst gaming) aside I feel sorry for them as they have neither their own best interests as gamers nor gaming at large at heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Bloody Screen...
    ...SO REAL!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Microsoft's effort to harm the PC as a gaming platform is quite repugnant. It's to the point where PC gaming press basically laugh when MS promise, yet again, to better support, what is essentially, their own platform. MS have a closed garden with their console. A place where they can charge €3 for jpegs and €5 for a virtual outfit. A place where the UI is covered with adverts and online, peer-to-peer, multiplayer costs each user €40 a year. MS would rather everyone play there and their efforts on the PC are solely an attempt to stave off competition rather that genuinely wanting to further the platform.

Did they even offer an explanation as to why Alan Wake was cancelled for PC... beyond implying it wasn't "the right fit"?

Kinda OT but regarding "Dumbing down". People throw around that phrase so much I think they believe it applies to any design element that don't agree with. I hate fussing about with poorly designed interface elements (inventories and skill trees are often where this is manifest) and am a proponent of streamlining these systems. The shift from Mass Effect's inventory to that its sequel would be an extreme example of this. Efforts to make these processes less bass-ackward are not, necessarily, simplification for a mainstream to stupid to appreciate tradition. The misuse of the phrase by indignant old-schoolers is, perhaps, even more irritating than hearing it used thusly:

"they're after dumbing-down the graphics"
    GothPunk wrote: »
    Hooray for everything!!!

Once again, you disgust us with your positive outlook, "Gothpunk"!

How is this rage-fest ever supposed to get off the ground? ;)

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Just to go into details on my list.

DLC. Some of it is fine, but some of it feels like milking the player for content that should of been released in the game.

Achievements. Mostly in multiplayer I have issues with them. You find people online trying to get whatever achievement be it get X number of kills via melee instead of playing as a team or focusing on capturing/defending the objective. I don't mind offline achievements although I'm not interested in them myselg.

Perks, unlocks and rewards. Not a fan of anything that doesn't require player skills like the call in air strikes, choppers, dogs and stuff like that in the COD series. I'd rather everyone be on the same level.

Achievements. Mostly in multiplayer I have issues with them. You find people online trying to get whatever achievement be it get X number of kills via melee instead of playing as a team or focusing on capturing/defending the objective. I don't mind offline achievements although I'm not interested in them myselg.

Perks, unlocks and rewards. Not a fan of anything that doesn't require player skills like the call in air strikes, choppers, dogs and stuff like that in the COD series. I'd rather everyone be on the same level.

Yeah, such a poor choice to incentivise selfish actions in team-based games.

Rewarding the most skilled by boosting their killing ability seems like a poor system. Brink's method of rewarding skilled players, through a sort of 'increased infamy', looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Newsflash guys.... there are other games out there than CoD !!!!

There are lots of really good single player games... deadspace/bioshock/reddead/dragonage/masseffect/Uncharted etc etc and a **** load of great games coming out this year... Portal 2/Uncharted 3/Resistance/ LA Noira/Skyrim/Zelda/Last Guardian etc. Comparing 2011 to any other year in gaming history..... it is diffo gonna be up there with the best of them.

Just because a few developers are focusing on the online MP aspect of gaming does not mean that there is a lack of good quality single player games.

DLC.... fvck it... you dont have to buy it.

So yeah... pretty much what gothpunk said :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

What really bugs me about today's games is the fans.
    They seem to completely ignore the point of certain threads on message boards. :p

Anyhoo. I hate the obsession with MW2. It's an awful, awful game. CoD4 was fun but MW2 is horrible. It's the lowest common denominator when it comes to cheap lazy design and **** you attitude to gamers. I can't understand why so many people play it when there are so many better MP shooters out there and why so many developers try to copy it. I'm looking at you Crytek.

DRM. I <3 Steam, it earned it by providing an ever better service. It's success should be noted by everyone else. However the likes of Ubisoft seem obsessed with punishing their customers as much as possible.

I'm not so critical of consolitis, it's not all bad. I think the slower pace in hardware requirements in PC games resulting from it is easier on the cost of maintaining a good system. However we still have to suffer horrible ports. Certainly I would say the lower cost of entry, in hardware and game terms, is good for people who want to get into PC games with a €80 graphics card and a Steam sale.

However I would like to see some more original games coming on consoles. I really enjoyed Alan Wake (Yes I know it's not really original). Sure it was flawed but I like the idea and the story. It was a thousand times better than Halos of War CXVII.
    Red Dead and L.A. Noire do seem to be taking the GTA model in interesting new directions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

This is probably an issue that always existed but how game reviews are so fixed. It is true that most gamers (myself included) look at the scores and if it is any less than 90, it is not worth buying.

But if a game has an already built rep ie gears of war 2, it is gauranteed an above 90 average, even if it does not deserve it.

Another example is batman AA. The extremely seedy attempts to promote the game (only allowing early reviews if it is on the front cover and scores over 95) and making up silly Guinness book of records for it( best ever game based on a comic book). This made most magazines decrease the overall score in spite. But I will guarantee a high score for the sequel no matter how bad it is, just to increase their own sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Gaming isn't a hobbyist industry any longer, it's a multi-billion dollar corporate one. More money equals more investment meaning more developers and better paid ones.

Creativity has suffered to a degree due to the weight of investment leading most publishers to be risk-adverse but we havent done too bad in fairness!

Who's to say bedroom coders with only their dole to keep them going would have come up with anything to rival some of the great games of the last decade?

And for those independantly minded programmers there are plenty of outlets now for them to get their wares to the public via the many digital distribution platforms from flash-game sites like Kongregate to the corporate sponsored PSN et al.

I've been an avid gamer since the mid-80's and can honestly say we've never had it so good in terms of quality, selection and value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Like the op, i started gaming with an Atari ST back in about 1991 (i had a 2600 in the 80s but only peoperly started gaming with my ST).
    Ive seen the industry grow from people copying disks for each other and swopping games in the playground, way back when there no dedicated videogame shops, you had Virgin megastores on the Quay's computer games sections or the pre owned computer games in the old dodgy video shop that used to be on Marlboro St. :D

Gaming is defintiely better nowadays, i dont think anyones arguing that theyd rather go back to the days of playing adventure games like Kings Quest or Leisure suit larry over Mass Effect 2. Weve never had it so good really. If youd shown me games that looked liek Crysis, ME2, or S.T.A.L.K.E.R back when i was 11 years old, i wouldve **** myself.

BUT, there is a trend creeping into games that i really dont like the look of. And thats dumbing down. The recent Crysis 2 debacle is an example of this. You take an inventive, exceptional FPS that sold well, but not amazingly well, and retrofit it to be like every other shooter on the market to make money. The console crowd will ohh and aah over its 1337 graffix but people who played the original will be crying into their corn flakes. Im not holding onto much hope for STALKER 2 if its being developed with consoles in mind too.

Releasing broken games too. Look at Bulletstorm on PC. ****ing broken to all hell. A straight up port of a console game just up-res'd and with all the baggage thats associated with bad console ports. Aim assist, mouse smoothing, FPS lock, all these things had to be fixed by the gamers themselves.

****ty DLC is another. Some DLC is fantastic. Minervas Den for bioshock 2 for example. Genuine expansions to gameplay thats several hours long with a great story. Then you have the **** thats already ont he disc and youre paying for an unlock code, a la SF4's costumes, pure bull****.

The focus on multipalyer is another thing that irritates the **** out of me. Even the original COD games had a good singleplayer mode, but not SP is practically an afterthought. And any game the ships without MP is seen as an abberation thats being sent to die. Then you get great sp games that jsut have **** MP modes tacked on just so that irritating xbox live scrotes can have someone to teabag, see Chronicles of Riddick, The Darkness, Prey, etc. Great games with **** tacked on MP that died a month after release. Id rather see the devs focus on giving a better sp campaign than waste their time with **** like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I really dislike the corporatization of games. A programmer in his room or a group of people in a small games company are probably not going to be so quick to shoot down left field ideas. Thats the problem as I see it. I would argue that in a corporate hierarchy if the idea doesn't fit in with the perception of what is marketable then it doesn't get a look in at all. And isn't it the case that level design/games creator jobs are pretty much non existent and exceedingly difficult to acquire, the games equivalent of being a rockstar or whatever? That doesn't really help with the fresh influx of ideas.

I think games are way too standardized graphically and in terms of content. For example I want a Roman epic rpg with sex and violence and all I can get are LOTR rpg clones. And another problem I have are the hackneyed plots of games, it usually involves some Alien inspired creature attacking you or an epic plot concerning the end of the world/universe. How about games that are about the characters moreso than an "epic" end goal? Or which don't involve end of the world scenarios? Imo corporate environments are terrible for creativity as the focus isn't on coming up with imaginative ways to do something but on making money, and that often comes to rest on familiarity and standardization.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Magill wrote: »

There are lots of really good single player games... deadspace/bioshock/reddead/dragonage/masseffect/Uncharted etc etc and a **** load of great games coming out this year... Portal 2/Uncharted 3/Resistance/ LA Noira/Skyrim/Zelda/Last Guardian etc. Comparing 2011 to any other year in gaming history..... it is diffo gonna be up there with the best of them.

There is trend for you OP. Every year, the same advertising agents come out with this very same statement.

So add this to the list:
    Every successive year triumphs in quality over the preceding year, apparently.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Hercule

I dislike how most MP games made over the last few years are designed to give a more rewardable/enjoyable experience to less skillful/dedicated players. With generous auto-aim/hitboxes - simplified gameplay and such

This interview (below link) made me a bit sick in my mouth with the cheesiness -But it highlights a couple of the things that imo are wrong with the MP FPS for me these days. This kind of "everyone should be having fun independent of commitment" mentality punishes people who want to be rewarded for the time they put in, in the past you would get chewed up and spit out if you started playing an FPS for the first time, but the reward for sticking to it provided more enjoyment then this "press 5 to get kills" kind of game everyone gets bored of after a month.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/something-for-brink/711462

When he says "systematically hunting down all the stuff which makes multiplayer ****" he then goes on to talk about how ironsights and sniper rifles are not that useful in the game

Developers seem to have substituted the skill gap previously associated with games for persistant stats, but having a fancy logo beside your name in the scoreboard is a poor substitution for that rush of outplaying people of being better.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I think it's a double edged sword wit gaming industry.

Cons:
    paying for dlcs would be my biggest issue.

Reginal pricing amd very idiotic digital pricing. Steam, xbox live etc.

Too much multiplayer. No more proper good single player games. Maybe I like tO play with myself! Damn that sounded wrong lol.

Too much rehashed content. Don't understand me wrong, I am the " if it's not broken, don't fix it " kind of guy, but for example modern warfare became great, so don't fix it, add more guns, customisation, maps, some few elements. Maybe third faction in to play etc? All we got was: same game with different skins. Mw2 looks a copy paste with black ops. Same amount of weapons.. I bet they just changed skins and leftvall ballistic aspect same lol.

Pros:

It is way easyer for small developer to be recognised! Minecraft and magicka are perfect examples.

Choise. It is sometimes too many games, remember old winters? So mang new games!! How many did you afforded to buy lol? So many good games got lost in time. This December was ****e thought.

Sicial aspect of gaming. Xbla and pc/ vent mmorpgs. I founded a few friends, gaming, which are now my really good friends in real life. I even found my sister which I haven't seen for 18 years, becouse of gaming!!!

Technology leveling out bow a bit. I still got my 3 year old pc which is powerful to play almoust any game on max. Remember early nineties? You buy newest pc for alot of money just to realise next day there is twice more powerful machine for same money...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

It's the WoW factor for me. I've never played an mmorpaga and I'm sure there are lots of fans who thoroughly enjoy the experience of playing these games but it seems to me that every major dev with a successful franchise will inevitably look at moving that franchise into the mmo domain. KOTOR has gone that way and now Fallout is going that way. I play games for immersion and I have no desire to meet a jedi night that says "lolz you suxors".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

A very large pro would be the ability to make very advanced games essentially in a bedroom. Hopefully in the future some great games will be released just made by individuals instead of companies.

With no risk of monetary loss these games could try untried modes of gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Hercule

A very large pro would be the ability to make very advanced games essentially in a bedroom. Hopefully in the future some great games will be released just made by individuals instead of companies.

With no risk of monetary loss these games could try untried modes of gameplay.

I find that in the current climate this is the opposite - its a con imo, I mean Minecraft is pretty much the only "bedroom" game to have accomplished such commercial success in the past decade (save for the big-budget adaptions of games that began as mods) - and its not like Minecraft was/is particularly robust or advanced technically - just a brilliant idea for a game.

Games are becoming increasingly costly and difficult to make - and this is a scale which is getting worse as hardware improves. Mods for games have become very marginalised too - in the past a mod for quake/unreal was very easy to make - I havent seen a mod in years that didnt require a huge team of contributors or which was not either in beta forever or launched in a below acceptable state.

The best we get nowadays is skins/ui mods for games and games with some form of inbuilt modding functionality (like Starcraft 2/LBP)

Hercule wrote: »
    I dislike how most MP games made over the last few years are designed to give a more rewardable/enjoyable experience to less skillful/dedicated players. With generous auto-aim/hitboxes - simplified gameplay and such

This interview (below link) made me a bit sick in my mouth with the cheesiness -But it highlights a couple of the things that imo are wrong with the MP FPS for me these days. This kind of "everyone should be having fun independent of commitment" mentality punishes people who want to be rewarded for the time they put in, in the past you would get chewed up and spit out if you started playing an FPS for the first time, but the reward for sticking to it provided more enjoyment then this "press 5 to get kills" kind of game everyone gets bored of after a month.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/something-for-brink/711462

When he says "systematically hunting down all the stuff which makes multiplayer ****" he then goes on to talk about how ironsights and sniper rifles are not that useful in the game

Developers seem to have substituted the skill gap previously associated with games for persistant stats, but having a fancy logo beside your name in the scoreboard is a poor substitution for that rush of outplaying people of being better.

Why are you against more rewardable/enjoyable experience to less skillful/dedicated players?

Why shouldn't "everyone ... be having fun independent of commitment"?

How do these things "mentality punish" people who want to be rewarded for the time they put in?

Why would having a good experience for less skilled players mean that the experience for skilled players must suffer?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fnz wrote: »
    Why are you against more rewardable/enjoyable experience to less skillful/dedicated players?

Why shouldn't "everyone ... be having fun independent of commitment"?

How do these things "mentality punish" people who want to be rewarded for the time they put in?

Why would having a good experience for less skilled players mean that the experience for skilled players must suffer?

It's the old mario kart blue shell syndrome. What's the point in being really good throughout the whole game and race the perfect 3 laps only to get blasted back to last place in the last few seconds but something that requires absolutely no skill to use. There's absolutely no incentive to get better when there's no level playing field and all a player has to do is grind levels for perks to get an unfair advantage and there's no level playing field.

I think CoD is even worse and goes in the opposite direction where somebody doing well is granted even more power.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

On the achievements I've been into big long Op-Eds about this on the TF2 forums. When they first introduced achievements, for example per each class, they were pretty straightforward, like Medic and Pyro ones. They were the kind of achievements you would get naturally in a few hours of play. Obviously it didnt stop people from farming them but valve was onto them pretty quickly and branded them for cheating.

Later though it just got to the point where people were trying to farm achievements for getting 30 kills on the back of a walrus by deflecting a bullet into a cloaked spy's face.

Nevermind the achievement-based unlocks, the random drops, and the paid DLC/weapons. Those in themselves are whole other breed of wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Ugh, I miss TF2 before all the item ****e.

Now there was a game that balanced newbies and rewarding long term play well.

Advertisement