Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-03-2011, 15:32   #1
condra

Nice "capture"...

Hey.

Does anyone know, why do people say "nice capture" instead of nice picture/image/shot?

Is it something to do with the difference between film or digital, or the difference between a virgin photograph and a PP'd one? Or maybe it's an old legacy term.

I find it a bit weird.
Advertisement
08-03-2011, 15:33   #2
smelltheglove

Send a message via MSN to smelltheglove
Quote:
Originally Posted by condra View Post
Hey.

Does anyone know, why do people say "nice capture" instead of nice picture/image/shot?

Is it something to do with the difference between film or digital, or the difference between a virgin photograph and a PP'd one? Or maybe it's an old legacy term.

I find it a bit weird.
I dont know but I was miffed when someone said I had nice SNAPS now that really irritates me.
(2) thanks from:
08-03-2011, 15:41   #3

I don't like 'snaps ' - sounds really condescending. OTOH, 'Capture' is right up there with 'Glycee' as a word that I think is somewhat pretentious.

I think it's a photo.
(2) thanks from:
08-03-2011, 15:48   #4
condra

Yeah it does sound kinda pretentious.
08-03-2011, 15:51   #5
jpb1974

I like 'photograph'.

I'm just worried that I might be technically incorrect. Is it OK to call an 800px digital postcard a photograph?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-03-2011, 15:54   #6
Thecageyone

I remember a topic on flickr a long while back on this, that went on for months!

It's a lazy thing on sites like that, when people can't think of anything better to say, but continue to comment just to get some back. They do the rounds with a C&P of "Nice capture".

I don't mind shot , photograph or image. I hate capture, snap or "pic"!

Worse though, is when someone says "Nice picture, you must have a really good camera!?" ... Grrrr.
(3) thanks from:
08-03-2011, 16:02   #7
ditpaintball

Its because you 'capture' the moment on film.

Some togs hate it because capturing a moment implies a 'right place right time' type activity, where as most times it is set up and a photography is on purpose.
08-03-2011, 16:10   #8
Thecageyone

In that case every photograph ever is a capture. It's when that is all they have to say about your Image, they may as well say nothing at all.
08-03-2011, 16:17   #9
jpb1974

Quote:
In that case every photograph ever is a capture. It's when that is all they have to say about your Image, they may as well say nothing at all.
It's oft the case in the world of internet photography (aka forums and the like) that people feel that every comment placed against a photo must be brimming with substance. I often seen internet forum members (not so much here I must say) moan when "nice shot" doesn't fulfill their artistic expectations... but personally I would never discount politeness.

As someone who cares very little for C+C I enjoy the liberal approach taken in the Random Photo thread for example where a simple press of the 'Thank You' button is a simple acknowledgement that you enjoy some aspect of the photo/photograph/capture/snap/shot presented.

The simplest of acknowledgements are often all it takes to give people the drive they feel they may need.
Advertisement
08-03-2011, 16:23   #10
Thecageyone

You've not been hit enough by the nice capture bandits obviously. Im talking about the ones who do it in passing, and across 100s of images they barely stop to look at. Comment whores, thinking they'll get some back and maybe hit explore with a 'capture' of their painted fingernails or something. If someone says it under my image alone I appreciate it, the fact they actually looked. I'm not a compliment chaser, often get more out of constructive criticism
08-03-2011, 16:24   #11
challengemaster

Christ, if anyone says nice snap it'd drive me mental, it's basically saying that it's shíte..

never heard capture, but I'd assume it was being used in a context where there's actually a moment being captured - lovers kiss or some such... otherwise it's just someone being weird/trying to sound like they know what they're talking about
08-03-2011, 16:26   #12
*eadaoin

I don't mind 'nice capture' - what I do mind is 'Oh that's a nice picture, you have such a good camera!'
(4) thanks from:
08-03-2011, 16:28   #13
jpb1974

Quote:
You've not been hit enough by the nice capture bandits obviously. Im talking about the ones who do it in passing, and across 100s of images they barely stop to look at. Comment whores, thinking they'll get some back and maybe hit explore with a 'capture' of their painted fingernails or something. If someone says it under my image alone I appreciate it, the fact they actually looked. I'm not a compliment chaser, often get more out of constructive criticism
I assume you are talking about Flickr? In which case I would question what you expect to get out of Flickr given that, well... it is what it is and probably forever will be.

Personally I just use it for hosting and browsing. I add to the odd group, tags are minimal and I don't get a cold, lonely feeling when most of my photos have between 0 and 10 views.

If I get a sparkly medal or 'Better than God' award then I smile and maybe laugh a little... but I never expect to find the meaning of life, photographically speaking, via comments left on my photos.

As for "great shot, must be a great camera" - I just smile... not worth bothering about.
08-03-2011, 17:58   #14
ozymandius

Quote:
Originally Posted by *eadaoin View Post
I don't mind 'nice capture' - what I do mind is 'Oh that's a nice picture, you have such a good camera!'
A photographer went to a socialite party in New York. As he entered the front door, the host said ‘I love your pictures - they’re wonderful; you must have a fantastic camera.’ He said nothing until dinner was finished, then he responded ‘That was a wonderful dinner; you must have a terrific stove.’
Sam Haskins
08-03-2011, 19:36   #15
Thecageyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by *eadaoin View Post
I said almost exactly this further up ^

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion