Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of living Ireland V Australia

Options
  • 21-02-2011 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Howdy,

I'm currently trying to decide whether to up sticks and move to OZ. It looks like I qualify for visa etc... But one thing I'm finding difficult to establish is a like for like cost of living comparison? I'm trying to get a full breakdown of every costs from renting, food, car tax, insurance primary school costs... etc.

I'm trying to work out how much i would have to earn to at least match my standard of living in Ireland?

I would be grateful for your help...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Australia is wild expensive but it depends on what you work at. Some occupations pay enough to offset the expense and some occupations just pay crap.

Its not the land of milk & honey for everyone, qualifying for a visa is one thing but making the numbers work is very different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

just back from Sydney. Unbelievably expensive for lots of things....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Rent and Electricity will be your two biggest killers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 cmaclo

I just moved back to Dublin from 4 years in Sydney.. the main differences in cost that really hit me are:

(note: this is a comparison of Sydney, i understand that Brizzy and Perth are much cheaper cities to live in)

- RENT IS DEARER: 3 bed house rent in Sydney city will set you back $800+ (€550+) a week... but much much cheaper the further out in the suburbs you go (check out www.domain.com.au)

- EATING OUT IS CHEAPER - i miss my local $10 pub grub deals... plus all the cheap asian restaurants for lunch and dinner
    (Cost of drinking is about the same)

- RUNNING a car is CHEAPER: car purchase, insurance, tax & petrol...

But the main thing i noticed.. that was a huge kick in the face was that wages are way higher in Sydney. I took a 60% decrease in wages coming back to Ireland, and my partner about 40% (I'm in IT, he's in finance)

this isn't across the board.. friends who were working in trades were earning not much more than minimum wage in the city (say $20/hour). I would say this is down to the fact that Sydney is inundated with semi-skilled working-holiday visas so there's a lot of competition out there. They could'nt afford more than a smelly cramped house-share

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What made you come back to Ireland just curious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Howdy,

I'm currently trying to decide whether to up sticks and move to OZ. It looks like I qualify for visa etc... But one thing I'm finding difficult to establish is a like for like cost of living comparison? I'm trying to get a full breakdown of every costs from renting, food, car tax, insurance primary school costs... etc.

I'm trying to work out how much i would have to earn to at least match my standard of living in Ireland?

I would be grateful for your help...

Rent: check out www.realestate.com.au and www.domain.com.au Also check out www.gumtree.com.au for shared places

Car Rego: In Victoria, you will be paying around $520 per year.
    Victoria: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/RenewCancelOrUpdateRegistration/Feecalculators.htm
    NSW:
    http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/feesconcessions/registrationfees.html
    QLD:
    https://www.service.transport.qld.gov.au/eQuote/eQuote.jsp
    WA:
    https://fortress.wa.gov/dol/tabs/FeeCalcVehicle.aspx
    In Victoria at least, you have to pay your 'rego' (motor tax equivelent) by the due date. If you dont your car is considered unregistered and unroadworthy and you will have to have a full road worthy done (similar to NCT) before it can be registered again.
    Car insurance is just too individualised to comment on (and in some states not compulsory)

Phone / Internet: Check out www.bc.whirlpool.net.au for a comparision of broadband plans. Also check out www.telstra.com.au and www.optus.com.au for info about phone contracts. I find internet and mobile to be really expensive in Australia compared to Ireland.

Gas / Electricity: Check out www.switchwise.com.au for information about gas and electricity prices. Just enter a random Australian post code. I find my bills cheaper in Ireland, but it just may seem that way as they arrive every two months here compared to quartely in Victoria. If you are going to live in QLD, Darwin etc, expect your bills to be higher due to running the air con.

Petrol: Check out www.racv.com.au for daily petrol prices in Melbourne. Also www.motormouth.com.au for an overview of prices in the capital cities. Unlike Ireland, petrol prices can vary widely from the morning to evening in Australia. Last time I was home, I needed to get petrol but was running late for lunch. When i went to get it two hours later it was 8c/l more expensive! It's generally cheaper to fill up early in the week and don't be surprised to see petrol jump 10c/l for a long weekend.

Cars: Check out www.carsales.com.au and www.carpoint.com.au

Clothes: Check out www.myer.com.au. More upmarket than debenhams, but not as upmarket at Brown Thomas. Also www.target.com.au - they dont have an online shop but do have their latest catalogue on their website. Would be between dunnes and Debenhams.

Groceries: www.woolworths.com.au and www.coles.com.au You could do a dummy run with the online shopping to work out what the price of groceries would be. On the woolies site at least is also their catalogue with specials in it. Woolies and Coles basically have a duopoly (?spelling) on the market however Aldi is making inroads.

Schools: Not sure exactly here as each state is different and it would also depend on what visa you come over on. Check out www.britishexpats.com There are a lot of knowledge people over there with info about costs for schools. In Victoria at the very least you will be paying a 'voluntry' fee and for school books.

Health Insurance: I've never worked out how private health insurance works in Ireland, but in Australia you can get it for private hospital cover as well as for 'extras' such as optical, dental, allied health (speech therapy, physiotherapy etc). Depending on what it is, you will get either a limit that will be refunded (ie/ $200 per year for speech therapy) or a certain amount refunded such as with dental. Check out www.iselect.com.au to compare plans. I find dental in Australia really expensive - I was given a price of over $1500 for a root canal....I decided to get the tooth pulled out instead! If you have a pre-exisiting condition you may have to wait 12months before they cover you for that.

Banking: Just about all banks will charge you for having an account with them. ANZ has an account for $5 / month that has unlimited internet banking and ATM withdrawals. Over the counter transactions charge like a wounded bull. If you make a withdrawal from another banks ATM you will pay up to $2.50 per transaction. Have a look at www.infochoice.com.au In addition most companies will charge you an 'admin' fee for paying your bill, generally a couple of dollars.

Other expenses you will have if you buy are council rates and water, however if you are renting the landlord pays the rates and you just pay for the excess water charges. Rubbish collection is included in council rates. No tv licence in Oz though, although you have to put up with ads every 5mins (seems like it anyway!)

Having lived in Ireland for 3 years and made a couple of trips back to Australia I find Australia to be so much more expensive to live. However especially since the changes in the tax bands and the USC, I'm starting to question why I am still here and who knows what is going to happen after the election and in the next 12 - 24months:confused:

Also check out www.britishexpats.com as there is lots of info about the cost of living on there and also some threads that give an idea about salaries, if they are good or not and what would be an equivelent salary in the UK.

Hope this helps and good luck with making the decision:)
    Mel.b

• Registered Users Posts: 11 anthony_moran

mel.b wrote: »
    Rent: check out www.realestate.com.au and www.domain.com.au Also check out www.gumtree.com.au for shared places

Car Rego: In Victoria, you will be paying around $520 per year.
    Victoria: http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/RenewCancelOrUpdateRegistration/Feecalculators.htm
    NSW:
    http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/feesconcessions/registrationfees.html
    QLD:
    https://www.service.transport.qld.gov.au/eQuote/eQuote.jsp
    WA:
    https://fortress.wa.gov/dol/tabs/FeeCalcVehicle.aspx
    In Victoria at least, you have to pay your 'rego' (motor tax equivelent) by the due date. If you dont your car is considered unregistered and unroadworthy and you will have to have a full road worthy done (similar to NCT) before it can be registered again.
    Car insurance is just too individualised to comment on (and in some states not compulsory)

Phone / Internet: Check out www.bc.whirlpool.net.au for a comparision of broadband plans. Also check out www.telstra.com.au and www.optus.com.au for info about phone contracts. I find internet and mobile to be really expensive in Australia compared to Ireland.

Gas / Electricity: Check out www.switchwise.com.au for information about gas and electricity prices. Just enter a random Australian post code. I find my bills cheaper in Ireland, but it just may seem that way as they arrive every two months here compared to quartely in Victoria. If you are going to live in QLD, Darwin etc, expect your bills to be higher due to running the air con.

Petrol: Check out www.racv.com.au for daily petrol prices in Melbourne. Also www.motormouth.com.au for an overview of prices in the capital cities. Unlike Ireland, petrol prices can vary widely from the morning to evening in Australia. Last time I was home, I needed to get petrol but was running late for lunch. When i went to get it two hours later it was 8c/l more expensive! It's generally cheaper to fill up early in the week and don't be surprised to see petrol jump 10c/l for a long weekend.

Cars: Check out www.carsales.com.au and www.carpoint.com.au

Clothes: Check out www.myer.com.au. More upmarket than debenhams, but not as upmarket at Brown Thomas. Also www.target.com.au - they dont have an online shop but do have their latest catalogue on their website. Would be between dunnes and Debenhams.

Groceries: www.woolworths.com.au and www.coles.com.au You could do a dummy run with the online shopping to work out what the price of groceries would be. On the woolies site at least is also their catalogue with specials in it. Woolies and Coles basically have a duopoly (?spelling) on the market however Aldi is making inroads.

Schools: Not sure exactly here as each state is different and it would also depend on what visa you come over on. Check out www.britishexpats.com There are a lot of knowledge people over there with info about costs for schools. In Victoria at the very least you will be paying a 'voluntry' fee and for school books.

Health Insurance: I've never worked out how private health insurance works in Ireland, but in Australia you can get it for private hospital cover as well as for 'extras' such as optical, dental, allied health (speech therapy, physiotherapy etc). Depending on what it is, you will get either a limit that will be refunded (ie/ $200 per year for speech therapy) or a certain amount refunded such as with dental. Check out www.iselect.com.au to compare plans. I find dental in Australia really expensive - I was given a price of over $1500 for a root canal....I decided to get the tooth pulled out instead! If you have a pre-exisiting condition you may have to wait 12months before they cover you for that.

Banking: Just about all banks will charge you for having an account with them. ANZ has an account for $5 / month that has unlimited internet banking and ATM withdrawals. Over the counter transactions charge like a wounded bull. If you make a withdrawal from another banks ATM you will pay up to $2.50 per transaction. Have a look at www.infochoice.com.au In addition most companies will charge you an 'admin' fee for paying your bill, generally a couple of dollars.

Other expenses you will have if you buy are council rates and water, however if you are renting the landlord pays the rates and you just pay for the excess water charges. Rubbish collection is included in council rates. No tv licence in Oz though, although you have to put up with ads every 5mins (seems like it anyway!)

Having lived in Ireland for 3 years and made a couple of trips back to Australia I find Australia to be so much more expensive to live. However especially since the changes in the tax bands and the USC, I'm starting to question why I am still here and who knows what is going to happen after the election and in the next 12 - 24months:confused:

Also check out www.britishexpats.com as there is lots of info about the cost of living on there and also some threads that give an idea about salaries, if they are good or not and what would be an equivelent salary in the UK.

Hope this helps and good luck with making the decision:)
    Mel.b

That is brilliant info Mel... It will help me compile my cost of living spreadsheet... When I finish it I'll send it to anyone who wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭kdevitt

cmaclo wrote: »
    - RUNNING a car is CHEAPER: car purchase, insurance, tax & petrol...

I presume you mean running a car in Ireland is cheaper than Australia? Car prices here are shockingly expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

as a word of caution of comparing ireland to Aus .... take into account the value of the higher $ at the moment

It is now $.72 1Euro
    and 2 years ago it was $.48 = 1 Euro

that is a huge difference, 2 years ago newbies were saying how cheap australia was ...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

kdevitt wrote: »
    I presume you mean running a car in Ireland is cheaper than Australia? Car prices here are shockingly expensive.

Running a car to me would mean insurance, petrol etc and that's certainly much cheaper here. Also you may pay more for a car in the beginning but folk tend to hang on them a lot longer than the annual/bi-annual car changers at home.

Re: banking, it is possible to do it all for free over here if you shop around. I can point people in the right direction if anyone would like specifics (I'm in the industry).

• Advertisement

Running a car is cheaper.

Buying is stupidly priced.

However it seems the bigger you go, the cheaper you get.

A Commodore or Falcon is cheaper than the same year Astra or Camry (second hand that is).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,714 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Heating oil costs are usually a lot lower in Oz ;)

I would suggest looking at Perth rather than Sydney. The unemployment rate is pretty low there.

Jumpy wrote: »

A Commodore or Falcon is cheaper than the same year Astra or Camry (second hand that is).

Mate my Falcon costs me 280 bucks a month in Petrol, too many ks. :(

The service is slightly cheaper than other cars.

Zambia wrote: »
    Mate my Falcon costs me 280 bucks a month in Petrol, too many ks. :(

The service is slightly cheaper than other cars.

I mean in purchase price. My falcon used to drink petrol too. But it was cheap 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,714 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Jumpy wrote: »

VW Polo 1.2 comfortline. Irish price $22,700, price in Perth $19,850. 2011 models, new price. http://www.carsguide.com.au/search/?type=cars&N=4294962119+416++517+4294963956

and http://www.volkswagen.ie/ie/en/models/polo/brochures_and_prices.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Lots of threads on BritishExpats.com about this. It's gotten very expensive, but the push factors from Ireland are more significant than the pull factors in Aus. Just don't buy property for the love of god.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Australia...very expensive and getting more expensive by the year. Some thing are cheaper though and wages are pretty good if you have a good job. Just dont spend as much as save as much as possible.

cnocbui wrote: »
    VW Polo 1.2 comfortline. Irish price $22,700, price in Perth $19,850. 2011 models, new price. http://www.carsguide.com.au/search/?type=cars&N=4294962119+416++517+4294963956

and http://www.volkswagen.ie/ie/en/models/polo/brochures_and_prices.html

2001 BMW 330i in Sydney - 16-25K (I paid $17.5k), Ireland - 3-5K EUR. Brand new cars seem similarly priced for superminis etc, but in general the cars are crazy expensive here - for anything worth driving that is.

My insurance on my Golf GTi ($1250) costs more here than my insurance on an M3 back in Ireland (650EUR). Petrol is slightly cheaper alright, rego and CTP were almost $800 for the year though - thats cheaper than Ireland for the CC based roadtax, but probably not if compared with the newer Co2 type.

Food shopping is expensive - we spend about $350 a week between two of us (our weekly spend was usually in and around 150EUR at home in Dublin).
    Decent meals out are comparable - I wouldn't normally have much change from $200 for a meal out for us.

If you're on a good salary its all affordable, but I wouldn't call it cheap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

$650 insurance for a BMW M3!!:eek: That is super cheap, too cheap almost

European cars carry a price premium in Australia. Add in the fact that there are traiffs to protect the Australian car industry this keep prices for 2nd hand cars artifically high.

No point buying a 2nd hand european car here though. Buy a decent Ford, Holden or Jap car. You are wasting your money otherwise.
    One more thing though, they do keep their resale value so you can sell for alot higher than can in Ireland where deappreciation is a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

2001 BMW 330i in Sydney - 16-25K (I paid $17.5k), Ireland - 3-5K EUR. Brand new cars seem similarly priced for superminis etc, but in general the cars are crazy expensive here - for anything worth driving that is.

My insurance on my Golf GTi ($1250) costs more here than my insurance on an M3 back in Ireland (650EUR). Petrol is slightly cheaper alright, rego and CTP were almost $800 for the year though - thats cheaper than Ireland for the CC based roadtax, but probably not if compared with the newer Co2 type.

Food shopping is expensive - we spend about $350 a week between two of us (our weekly spend was usually in and around 150EUR at home in Dublin).
    Decent meals out are comparable - I wouldn't normally have much change from $200 for a meal out for us.

If you're on a good salary its all affordable, but I wouldn't call it cheap.

:eek: Wtf are you buying?! And where are you buying it from?

For two people we'd spend about $160 including food for lunches in work. Add in maybe $20 per week as discretionary food money and it goes no more than $200.

$350 is insane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

$350 is an awful lot for two people. We were shopping for five and got out in about 200 per week. Maybe a bit extra in the butchers, 40 or 50 between us. Fair enough there was a good bit of own brand stuff but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

Jaysus you must be eating fillet steak, caviar and lobster every night!
    We spend about $200 per week never more than $250 (when we have to buy nappies/wipes which is not every week) for a family of 4 including a baby and a lot of that money goes on formula and other baby stuff. We shop at the local veg markets which are cheaper than coles/woolworths for our fruit and veg. We get our meat from either coles or the butcher and our fish from the fishmonger. Bread is expensive here so we always end up buying different breads each week, whatever is on offer.

Our water charges per quarter are about $100.

Phone and internet about $150 per month for all local/national calls and 100gb of internet. (I know we can get it cheaper but we are stuck with telstra till the end of the year)

Electricity is about $500 per quarter.

House contents insurance is about $30 per month.

We have 2 mobiles with Optus for $50 each per month.

Full comp insurance is about $900 per year and then $300 I think for green slip (as far as I remember).

Creche costs for us are the killer we pay about $2600 per month for two kids although you get a 50% rebate from centrelink but its still a lot and you only get the rebates every 3 months so some months are tight waiting for the rebate to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Maybe that $350 includes take-away lunches. We don't spend that much with 5. But groceries are expensive here.

With schools over here you pay a voluntary contribution which in fact is not really voluntary at all (a couple of hundred, I think). Then you have uniforms and a book list. If you send you kids to a Catholic school it will cost a couple of grand a year.

Nappies, baby wipes and formula are very expensive here. Even with the cheaper brands. As are children's clothes and shoes, they are taxed here.

It is however a great country to bring up your children and for us worth the expense.

Plus is you purchase a house here you get hit with yearly water and council rates. Ours are almost nudging $3000 now.

ellaq wrote: »
    Maybe that $350 includes take-away lunches.

Nope, just a standard shop in Woolworths - lots of fruit, which seems to be abnormally expensive over here too. Nappies not needed until April.

Lunch costs me between $20-$30 per day in the CBD on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

$350.... sounds like the weekly shopping list for one of the families on the Fattest Loser, and lunch for $20-$30 per day !!! surely must be at least a few Pints to help wash down your steak.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    lunch for $20-$30 per day !!! surely must be at least a few Pints to help wash down your steak.

Chicken schnitzel, diet coke and flat white - $22.80. Lunch in wagamamas is usually around $35 if I fancy a stroll. Not sure why any of this should be a surprise to someone living in Sydney!

Don't drink either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

everything getting extremely expensive and people queueing to see houses

remind you of anywhere a few years ago :-)

might be 12 months left in it before it implodes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

mickman wrote: »
    everything getting extremely expensive and people queueing to see houses

remind you of anywhere a few years ago :-)

might be 12 months left in it before it implodes

you reckon ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

daftdave wrote: »
    you reckon ??

once china experiences its slowdown (which it will as they are racheting up interest rates) , demand for australias commodities will fall heavily and the boom will end. the irish will return home and head for the middle east !

• Advertisement

mickman wrote: »
    once china experiences its slowdown (which it will as they are racheting up interest rates) , demand for australias commodities will fall heavily and the boom will end. the irish will return home and head for the middle east !
    Step away from the crack pipe. It would take some meltdown for me to move to the middle east.

Advertisement