Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

update garmin sat nav

Options
  • 26-01-2011 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Is there a cheap or easy way to update my sat nav without it costing an arm and a leg...;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭mandy30

You can download 'copies' of ones people have already bought. Just google it.

Its just finding them. Make sure to back up your existing maps before doing so as there is a danger of wiping them.

Check what version of map you currently have, then what the newest one Garmin have out. You will need to download all the ones in between :)

I work for a sat nav company (cant say who). The Garmin prices for maps are particularly expensive :rolleyes:

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭243Xpress

I have the latest 2011 maps of ireland,uk and europe.Waste of time.Some of the the new motorways arent on it(Irish ones).New bridge and toll road around Waterford are not on it.Loads more i reckon also.So if you have 2008 -2009 on your sat nav dont bother updating as there isnt much changed.

Thats bad form with Garmin.

Can I ask how much your map update cost you with them?

As you said above,i copied it. Got it off a mate and put it on an sd card and slots into the side of my nuvi and hey presto(free).And im still complaining:).But i think they charge about 70euro for the latest.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

mandy30 wrote: »
    You can download 'copies' of ones people have already bought. Just google it.

Its just finding them. Make sure to back up your existing maps before doing so as there is a danger of wiping them.

Check what version of map you currently have, then what the newest one Garmin have out. You will need to download all the ones in between :)

I work for a sat nav company (cant say who). The Garmin prices for maps are particularly expensive :rolleyes:

Hope this helps.
    Firstly, isnt downloading these copies illegal?
    Secondly arn' t these maps matched to devices?

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    Firstly, isnt downloading these copies illegal?
    Secondly arn' t these maps matched to devices?

From what I have been told; there are 'ways and means' of people getting the copies.

I just dont know how myself.

It is illegal :) But it does not stop people.

If maps are loaded onto an SD card, I dont think it really matters if the map is matched to that device.

Someone involved in the more tech side than me may be able to explain it better :)

There are loads of free copies readily available on the net if you know where to look.Im not going to mention those places here.Also garmin maps will do garmin sat navs.Just load them onto sd card.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Closing this thread downloading copies is illegal

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement