Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-01-2011, 10:38   #1
golfbgud

2005 Passat - Interior Lighting.

Hi All,

2005 PASSAT TDI (Not the latest model - last of the 2000-2005 model).

I had the interior lights set to come on when I take the key out of the ignition (and vice versa). This was a huge benefit.

Recently this has stopped working (the switch beside the rear view mirror is still in the correct position).

I can switch on the drivers side lamp or passengers side lamp manually so it's not a bulb problem.

When I open any of the doors the lights on underside of the doors all work OK.

In summary, all the interior lights appear to work independently/manually. Could the switch itself be gone faulty even though I never change teh position of it?

Thanks - Gerry.
Advertisement
25-01-2011, 07:55   #2
golfbgud

Anyone?
25-01-2011, 14:25   #3
bbk

By set the lights to come on when you took the key out you mean you used the selector over you head to do this?

If it is this Passat or the facelifted one

then that lighting switch is a very weak design. The actual mechanism can go on them and cause the lights to feck up.

The lights in my Golf (they share the same lighting cluster) never worked for about 9 months after I bought the car and once I started trying to figure it out I found that a bit of metal had become dislodged and was causing shorts etc.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/VW-PASSAT-INTERIO...item53df428e13

As far as I know it effects these kind of switches more then others but you will have to do a google. I dont mean it having the sunroof switch but the slider to the left.

I had to do a bodge job and put a switch I found in the shed in.
Your best bet if you are not a DIYer is to go to a breakers and get a new cluster. Fit it into the Passat, test it, then pay for it.

Last edited by bbk; 25-01-2011 at 14:33.
26-01-2011, 22:23   #4
crosstownk

Send a message via Skype™ to crosstownk
Do other items such as the radio switch off when you remove the key from the ignition switch? Leave the radio on, turn the engine off - radio should still be on - withdraw the key and the radio should switch off.

If it doesn't then it may be a problem with the S contact in the ignition switch (D) which will probably mean that you will need a new switch.

Have you had a diagnosis check done on the Convenience ECU?

Last edited by crosstownk; 26-01-2011 at 22:25.
27-01-2011, 08:31   #5
golfbgud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbk View Post
By set the lights to come on when you took the key out you mean you used the selector over you head to do this?

If it is this Passat or the facelifted one

then that lighting switch is a very weak design. The actual mechanism can go on them and cause the lights to feck up.

The lights in my Golf (they share the same lighting cluster) never worked for about 9 months after I bought the car and once I started trying to figure it out I found that a bit of metal had become dislodged and was causing shorts etc.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/VW-PASSAT-INTERIO...item53df428e13

As far as I know it effects these kind of switches more then others but you will have to do a google. I dont mean it having the sunroof switch but the slider to the left.

I had to do a bodge job and put a switch I found in the shed in.
Your best bet if you are not a DIYer is to go to a breakers and get a new cluster. Fit it into the Passat, test it, then pay for it.
Thanks BBK - Light switch is similar to the one in your Ebay link but my car doesn't have a sunroof. I will have a closer look at the switch contacts etc at the week-end.
Advertisement
27-01-2011, 08:34   #6
golfbgud

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosstownk View Post
Do other items such as the radio switch off when you remove the key from the ignition switch? Leave the radio on, turn the engine off - radio should still be on - withdraw the key and the radio should switch off.

If it doesn't then it may be a problem with the S contact in the ignition switch (D) which will probably mean that you will need a new switch.

Have you had a diagnosis check done on the Convenience ECU?
Thanks crosstownk.

Radio gets killed when I take keys out.
I have not had a diag done on Convenience ECU. I presume this is separate from the main ECU? Car was serviced with TB etc done about 3 months ago - guess this Convenience Module would not show up in regular checks?
28-01-2011, 22:49   #7
bbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfbgud View Post
Thanks BBK - Light switch is similar to the one in your Ebay link but my car doesn't have a sunroof. I will have a closer look at the switch contacts etc at the week-end.
It is probably a wide spread problem with the general switch design across that range.

What you are describing is exactly what was wrong with my wagon.
I could switch on the reading lights but the main one never lit.

If you do find there is a problem with the switch nag me over and over (so I dont forget ) and I will upload a picture of my fix if you are a keen enough DIYer.
30-01-2011, 13:20   #8
crosstownk

Send a message via Skype™ to crosstownk
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfbgud View Post
Thanks crosstownk.

Radio gets killed when I take keys out.
I have not had a diag done on Convenience ECU. I presume this is separate from the main ECU? Car was serviced with TB etc done about 3 months ago - guess this Convenience Module would not show up in regular checks?
Yep - it's a separate ECU but usually most diagnosis checks would interrogate all ECUs unless the mechanic/technician specifically checked certain ECUs. Normally I would run a global test which is what VW would recommend.

Even at that a fault may not be recognised but as you are reporting a fault the tech could perform certain tests to try and isolate the offending component.

Wait and see what bbk's fix is - it may be the most cost effective option provided you can do it yourself.
07-02-2011, 23:25   #9
golfbgud

Quote:
It is probably a wide spread problem with the general switch design across that range.

If you do find there is a problem with the switch nag me over and over (so I dont forget ) and I will upload a picture of my fix if you are a keen enough DIYer.
Took the switch unit off tonight and had a look. Pictures attached. Done a few continuity checks and all appeared OK. Took off switch contacts and cleaned same. Put unit back but no joy. As I don't have another one to compare it against I cannot say if there's a piece of metal broken off/missing?

So, in summary, unless there's a piece of the tracks broken off/missing I would deem the switch unit as operational?

Next steps..........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (1.38 MB, 150 views)
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (1.44 MB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg 3.JPG (1.36 MB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00125.JPG (1.32 MB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00127.JPG (1.32 MB, 86 views)
Advertisement
07-02-2011, 23:33   #10
golfbgud

The image attached shows the contacts (marked with a red arrow) that come into play when the switch is in the "door" position......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011 Car.JPG (81.4 KB, 88 views)
08-02-2011, 22:57   #11
golfbgud

Quote:

I'm here to "nag" and am handy enough at repairs........thanks.
11-02-2011, 12:16   #12
golfbgud

Anyone? Thanks.
14-02-2011, 15:11   #13
Juniorhurler
Closed Account

Have a look at this link
http://nackuk.blogspot.com/2010/06/w...ts-puddle.html

This is your problem without doubt. Happens to almost every passat and skoda superb mk1 of that vintage.
Expensive fix too.
22-02-2011, 22:08   #14
golfbgud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juniorhurler View Post
Have a look at this link
http://nackuk.blogspot.com/2010/06/w...ts-puddle.html

This is your problem without doubt. Happens to almost every passat and skoda superb mk1 of that vintage.
Expensive fix too.
That's a great article - thanks. I haven't looked at the floor as yet (too busy at work). Not looking forward to this either if that's the problem!
26-02-2011, 17:58   #15
bbk

Here are pics of my fix.

I used a general switch you get with deskside lamps. You should be able to pick one up at Maplin.

I had to make a modification to it. I had to put another contact into the switch. The power goes in one way and then either supplies power straight to the lights and the other to the circuitry that sets the lights on when the door opens. I think.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/ip65-centre-...r-switch-98092

That way centre is off. I is lights on with doors and II is lights on for when you need to read summet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01399.jpg (615.6 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01398.jpg (546.2 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by bbk; 26-02-2011 at 18:03.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion