Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-12-2010, 19:34   #1
dnme

Mira Elite electric shower not working

Dear friends,

This evening (26/12/10) my Mira Elite electric shower has decided to stop working. The mains water is fine and I had no freeze issues at all over the cold spell. I have taken off the cover and filter to check the obvious. I can run cold taps fine etc.

The shower is powering and running the motor but no water is coming through. I have a feeling I have an air block somewhere. Tell me is it possible to bleed this myself or do I need a plumber.

See image of shower here. Filter (lower left) is off and was clean. Motor is running but no water.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_5480.jpg (102.1 KB, 2702 views)
Advertisement
26-12-2010, 20:03   #2
cabledude

the copper pipe on the left is you feed in. there's yur filter to the right as you look in. white plastic that can be turned to loosen out. loosen this and behind it there should be a little button that you can push to see if water comes. take care to make sure power is isolated from mains. and water will come fairly fast so take care here also. but before yo do this take off shower head, let hose onto floor and bturn on shower cold and full power.

Last edited by cabledude; 26-12-2010 at 20:09.
Thanks from:
26-12-2010, 20:24   #3
dnme

cabledude

I have taken out the filter but there is nothing in the back there that is in anyway pushable. There is a white plastic back with a hole at the top. I have tried with a screwdriver to push both surfaces. Neither of them budge.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0080.jpg (51.5 KB, 2633 views)
26-12-2010, 20:32   #4
Avns1s

When you turn on the water with the filter out, does it flow through?

If it does, then your supply is ok and you need to try taking off the pipe to the shower head and seeing if you get pumped flow there.
Thanks from:
26-12-2010, 20:35   #5
crasy dash

Hi there,

Are you sure you dont have a frozen pipe coming to the shower if you have removed the filter bottom left of your picture water should be flowing unlesss you have turned off the valve on the copper pipe to the shower?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-12-2010, 20:39   #6
cabledude

+1
Thanks from:
26-12-2010, 20:41   #7
dnme

No, there is no water coming through to the filter. I have been up to the attic. The pipe is well insulated. It seems to come to the shower from a cold reservoir back tank. That is full and the stopcock is working fine.
26-12-2010, 20:47   #8
crasy dash

Is there any isolating valve on the pipe down to the shower? more thank likely thats where your fault lies water should be runing out the bottom left of the shower if you have the hexagonal plastic filter removed
Thanks from:
26-12-2010, 20:47   #9
Avns1s

Well then I would suspect a frozen spot or an airlock. Can you open any other joints between the shower and the tank and see if you have supply there.

Are you sure there isn't a stopvalve that has been closed?

It is most likely an airlock though caused possibly by a skin of ice on the tank even if the pipes themselves didnt freeze. Is there any way you can suck some water through to the shower? (Make sure all power is off!!)
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-12-2010, 20:50   #10
dnme

There is a stop valve on the pipe in the attic. Its a red handle type. I adjusted it slightly while I was up there. Might go up again with a hot cloth.

Also tried sucking water to the filter opening with my big mouth. I was afraid to do this with power connected though.

Another thing. Some others mention that this is a self bleeding shower. Some talk about letting it run to bleed for up to an hour. Is this sensible? I have already tried running it for 3-4 mins.
26-12-2010, 21:03   #11
crasy dash

Downstream of the red handle place something warm on it and see does the water flow, cover the handle with a towel and see does the water from the tank push the water through the pipe bleeding the system
Thanks from:
26-12-2010, 21:04   #12
dnme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avns1s View Post
Is there any way you can suck some water through to the shower? (Make sure all power is off!!)
Ive tried this again with the poser on and shower running. After a min or two a slight trickle comes through.

I have also soaked a tea towel in boiling water and wrapped it around the red handle and on one exposed spot south of the red handle. Still nothing.
26-12-2010, 21:08   #13
crasy dash

I wouldnt turn power on to the shower running it dry will wreck the pump the seals will be toast ,keep working from the handle hopefully you will find the spot
Thanks from:
26-12-2010, 21:10   #14
Avns1s

Two things: 1. Can you suck water on the supply side rather than at the shower head perhaps where you took out the filter by inserting some pipe and trying to seal around it.

2. DO NOT RUN THIS PUMP / SHOWER UNTIL YOU HAVE WATER AT THE FILTER! You will burn it out!
Thanks from:
26-12-2010, 21:12   #15
dnme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avns1s View Post
Two things: 1. Can you suck water on the supply side rather than at the shower head.

2. DO NOT RUN THIS PUMP / SHOWER UNTIL YOU HAVE WATER AT THE FILTER! You will burn it out!
1. No, I have tried, see above.

2. Ive been running it for periods of 3-4 mins as stated above. Will stop now if you say so but how in gods name am I meant to bleed it if I cant run it?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion