Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone 4 wifi wpa issues

Options
  • 26-12-2010 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

New Iphone 4.... home network is detected but cant connect when I enter my network wpa encryption key. I configured my router to wep encryptioin and the iphone connected to the wifi but knocked all other laptops off the network. Reconfigured the router to wpa encryption and iphone is knocked off the wifi netowrk and all laptops are back on again. How can I get around this? Does the Iphone 4 not connect to wifi with wpa encryption? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mine connects on WPA anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

New Iphone 4.... home network is detected but cant connect when I enter my network wpa encryption key. I configured my router to wep encryptioin and the iphone connected to the wifi but knocked all other laptops off the network. Reconfigured the router to wpa encryption and iphone is knocked off the wifi netowrk and all laptops are back on again. How can I get around this? Does the Iphone 4 not connect to wifi with wpa encryption? Any help would be appreciated.

Ok, is your router a N router? And what is your exact encryption setting?

My iPhone uses WPA2 so you can rule out the encryption for the moment.

Check what bands your router is using (B/G/N) and just check its set to B/G. There are some routers that when an N device (iPhone 4 for example) logs on, it changes the band and knocks non-N devices (Pretty much everything else bar very new laptops) off the network (True N band is not the same frequency as B/G)

And check what exact encryption your using, maybe drop back to WPA (Not WPA2) as its possible a conflict could exist between new and old.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭jon burrows

ironclaw wrote: »
    Ok, is your router a N router? And what is your exact encryption setting?

My iPhone uses WPA2 so you can rule out the encryption for the moment.

Check what bands your router is using (B/G/N) and just check its set to B/G. There are some routers that when an N device (iPhone 4 for example) logs on, it changes the band and knocks non-N devices (Pretty much everything else bar very new laptops) off the network (True N band is not the same frequency as B/G)

And check what exact encryption your using, maybe drop back to WPA (Not WPA2) as its possible a conflict could exist between new and old.

Hi I'm on b/g encryption and using wpa only, still no joy though.

Hi I'm on b/g encryption and using wpa only, still no joy though.

Hmm. Thats very odd. Ok, turn off the encryption and try connect everything at the same time. Try narrow down the possible causes.

Hmm. Thats very odd. Ok, turn off the encryption and try connect everything at the same time. Try narrow down the possible causes.

Something really weird going on here, even with no encryption I cannot use wireless on any of the laptops at home or any other wireless device. However the Iphone works fine on the wifi with encryption off. It just doesnt seem to work on wpa which everything else uses in the house.

• Advertisement

Just got it sorted.....I seem to be only able to use the Iphone 4 when the router is configured to WEP or encryption turned off but not with WPA. So in order to be able to use laptops and other wireless devices at home I had to change all their security settings to wep. Now all working. Thanks for you help.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

very bad idea to have your router configured to WEP encryption tbh.

very bad idea to have your router configured to WEP encryption tbh.

Why, it's password protected and seems to be the only way I can have the iPhone and other wireless devices to work at home

WEP can be broken within 5 minutes by anyone who can use google.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Because WEP is only marginally harder to break than a wet paper bag. You'd be better off with it at WPA if you can. If the iPhone isn't accepting the current WPA password, try changing it or checking for a firmware update for your router.

• Advertisement

Because WEP is only marginally harder to break than a wet paper bag. You'd be better off with it at WPA if you can. If the iPhone isn't accepting the current WPA password, try changing it or checking for a firmware update for your router.

Tried changing the SSID, WPA and WPA2 encryption password, still no joy, so I'm back to WEP. Not sure how to update the firmware, cant seem to find the option in the router settings. I suppose I will just have to keep an eye on devices connected to the router to see if anyone has hacked. Sure the only people that can hack my router would be close neighbours that are in the vicinity of my router, am I right?

Tried changing the SSID, WPA and WPA2 encryption password, still no joy, so I'm back to WEP. Not sure how to update the firmware, cant seem to find the option in the router settings. I suppose I will just have to keep an eye on devices connected to the router to see if anyone has hacked. Sure the only people that can hack my router would be close neighbours that are in the vicinity of my router, am I right?

Ok, post up the following if you can:

Router Brand and Model

WPA Version and Type (PSK, TKIP or AES)

The iPhone isn't the problem. Mine works fine on WPA2-PSK (AES) which in turn works fine with my other laptops. Some laptops don't support WPA2 and some don't support AES / TKIP. Some only support WPA-PSK which is fine security wise, just use a password like ir3la4d (i.e. Non dictionary, alphanumeric)

With regards to the WEP argument, I think most people arn't bothered / skilled enough to hack it. Hacking random WEP in a few minutes does take some skill (Injection, Replay etc) unless your using an old Eircom router and the SSID trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

I would reckon its a mac address filtering issue. Reset the router and do a set up from scratch. It is 1000% not an issue with iPhone not being able to use wpa

Ok, post up the following if you can:

Router Brand and Model

WPA Version and Type (PSK, TKIP or AES)

The iPhone isn't the problem. Mine works fine on WPA2-PSK (AES) which in turn works fine with my other laptops. Some laptops don't support WPA2 and some don't support AES / TKIP. Some only support WPA-PSK which is fine security wise, just use a password like ir3la4d (i.e. Non dictionary, alphanumeric)

With regards to the WEP argument, I think most people arn't bothered / skilled enough to hack it. Hacking random WEP in a few minutes does take some skill (Injection, Replay etc) unless your using an old Eircom router and the SSID trick.

Product Name: (Thomson Gateway) TG585 v7
    Software Release: 7.4.4.7

WPA version: WPA-PSK

kjl wrote: »
    I would reckon its a mac address filtering issue. Reset the router and do a set up from scratch. It is 1000% not an issue with iPhone not being able to use wpa

Hi Kjl, I already tried resetting the router and set up from scratch again renaming the SSID, changing channel etc. Whats this mac address filtering thing? Do I need to disable this and if so how? I cant see any setting on my router settings, I'm sure its there somewhere just not sure how to get into it. Thanks again for all your help, hopefully I'll have this resolved and back on WPA security.

Product Name: (Thomson Gateway) TG585 v7
    Software Release: 7.4.4.7

WPA version: WPA-PSK

That seems fine. Do you use Mac filtering? Also, when you set up the iPhone, are you using a static IP?

Just so we're straight:

Router WPA On > Connect All Laptops > Works Fine

Router WPA On > Connect iPhone > Laptops kicked off > iPhone only works

Router No Encryption > Everything works fine

That seems fine. Do you use Mac filtering? Also, when you set up the iPhone, are you using a static IP?

Just so we're straight:

No, dont see mac filtering. Router WPA on connects all laptops but not Iphone. Laptops stay on when trying to connect iphone. Its when I change to wep all laptops wifi wont work and iphone does. This is when I re configured Router to WEP so that all devices worked including iphone.

Just so we're straight:

I found a setting on the router: "Use address based filtering" should this be enabled? Is this mac filtering? This setting is under the parental control options

yup that's mac filtering, tbh mac filtering at router level is like wep, you can easily clone a mac address to by-pass the checks. i'd turn it off tbh.

yup that's mac filtering, tbh mac filtering at router level is like wep, you can easily clone a mac address to by-pass the checks. i'd turn it off tbh.

Yeah its already off... so still the problem of wpa not working with Iphone..... its gonna have to be wep for now...

• Advertisement

I can asssure you the iPhone works with WPA-PSK. It even works at enterprise WPA2.

What laptops are you using? How old are they?
    Router WPA on connects all laptops but not Iphone.

Hmm.. Thats very weird. Have you tried a nice simple password in case it s typed wrong?
    Its when I change to wep all laptops wifi wont work and iphone does.

What type of WEP? How long is the key?
    This is when I re configured Router to WEP so that all devices worked including iphone.

So are you saying the laptops and iPhone work with WEP?

And do turn off Mac filtering. It will fool most hackers to be fair but it can be a hassle as well.

I can asssure you the iPhone works with WPA-PSK. It even works at enterprise WPA2.

What laptops are you using? How old are they?

Hmm.. Thats very weird. Have you tried a nice simple password in case it s typed wrong?

What type of WEP? How long is the key?

So are you saying the laptops and iPhone work with WEP?

And do turn off Mac filtering. It will fool most hackers to be fair but it can be a hassle as well.

It sure is a strange one..... the wep is 64 bit in length, laptops are all fairly new oldest is about 3 years old. Password is a simple one as I have used it many times before and Mac filtering is off, and finally yes all is working well with wep 64 bit. Thanks for your support and replies Ironclaw.

It sure is a strange one..... the wep is 64 bit in length, laptops are all fairly new oldest is about 3 years old. Password is a simple one as I have used it many times before and Mac filtering is off, and finally yes all is working well with wep 64 bit. Thanks for your support and replies Ironclaw.

Your welcome. I'm stumped though! Its extremely weird. My only guess is when you switch to WPA encryption, the iPhone or laptops in combination with the router arn't authenticating properly. Which would be extremely weird.

My only recommendation would be to try get a friends router, plug it in under WPA (Or find someone with WPA) and see does everything work.

My guess is that its your router.

Maybe try the following, just for the sake of it:

Full Router Reset / Factory Reset
    Change your Wifi channel
    WPA ON

See do you get anything. If not, I'm stumped.

Advertisement