Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nocturnal Video Games

Options
  • 17-12-2010 4:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭

last thread i saw for video games was back from february and only about computers afaik. let's include the console n00bs in this one (even though it is inferior to PC :P)

so what games are the nocs playing these days? i've been a bit busy with exams atm but i'm working on getting I-War 2 working on my laptop so i can play it with the xbox controller. no joystick port in my laptop :(
    i've been playing Unreal Tournament 99 a few times with my brother in the last week. totally kicking his ass even if he can't admit it :D been adding more mods to it lately. best game of the series imo.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I'm all about the Street Fighter.

ALL about it.

Part of the Irish SF scene and we record loads of vids with commentary.

I also love RPGs too but rarely have the time to invest in 30+ hour games these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Currently no game is really holding my attention... but that's probably because I have Fallout 3 just sitting there and I refuse to buy anything until I finish the dastard! Plus I got a new xbox and didn't transfer my save files, so I'm slowly playing through all my old games again.

• Moderators Posts: 51,724 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Just finished Fable 2 on the xbox which was a bit of fun. Liked the idea of control a character from child to adult.

Currently playing the first assassins creed game. Really like the way that the fighting works in the game as well as the attention to detail in the cities.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Currently no game is really holding my attention... but that's probably because I have Fallout 3 just sitting there and I refuse to buy anything until I finish the dastard! Plus I got a new xbox and didn't transfer my save files, so I'm slowly playing through all my old games again.

Yay fallout! :D

I'm playing New Vegas at the moment. It's very similar to FO3, looks the same but with a few gameplay changes. Traits (remember them from FO2?) are back and there is some huge complicated system for upgrading your weapons and ammo that I haven't worked out yet.
    Also, you can go to New Vegas and gamble aaaaaaall of your money away. :D

koth wrote: »
    Just finished Fable 2 on the xbox which was a bit of fun. Liked the idea of control a character from child to adult.

Currently playing the first assassins creed game. Really like the way that the fighting works in the game as well as the attention to detail in the cities.

Currently playing Fable 2 aswell. Seems a tad tooooo easy. Interesting though. I'm just at the start of the game and already own two wives and have married four businesses. It's a bit tooo easy. Once you get your fireball at the start it's allll grand, unlike other RPGs where you seem to be struggling all the time. Maybe it'll get harder, but it's certainly a bit lightweight.

I couldn't stand the first Assassins Creed. I hear number 2 solved all the problems. I may go back and play it, what with the new xbox and need for points. :)
    reallyrose wrote: »
    Yay fallout! :D

I'm playing New Vegas at the moment. It's very similar to FO3, looks the same but with a few gameplay changes. Traits (remember them from FO2?) are back and there is some huge complicated system for upgrading your weapons and ammo that I haven't worked out yet.
    Also, you can go to New Vegas and gamble aaaaaaall of your money away. :D

Oh I really want to get that, but pesky Fallout 3 is a killer. Glad to start it again, my original character was a mess, he was like the incredible hulk with a massive IQ... yet I played him like a sniper. Or something. Certainly I didn't find the game as easy as some colleagues.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,724 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Currently playing Fable 2 aswell. Seems a tad tooooo easy. Interesting though. I'm just at the start of the game and already own two wives and have married four businesses. It's a bit tooo easy. Once you get your fireball at the start it's allll grand, unlike other RPGs where you seem to be struggling all the time. Maybe it'll get harder, but it's certainly a bit lightweight.
    Agreed, but it was perfect for me to get back into games.
    I couldn't stand the first Assassins Creed. I hear number 2 solved all the problems. I may go back and play it, what with the new xbox and need for points. :)

Now I'm really looking forward to trying out AC 2:D

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Yeah, i'm finding Fable 2 a bit too easy, with other RPGs, i've died a few times before finishing the game. not once did i die in Fable. kinda pissed off at it for that. the story in it is a bit weak as well. I'd like all RPGs to have a brilliant story like KOTOR.
    that had a brilliant story and good gameplay. Plot
    you being Revan was such a twist in the game. was not expecting it at all
    No RPG has made me feel that since :(

koth wrote: »
    Agreed, but it was perfect for me to get back into games.

Now I'm really looking forward to trying out AC 2:D
    Yeah, it is a nice way to ease yourself in. I've a mate who only got into xbox etc a year or 2 ago. Mad for the likes of Call of Duty, Gears, Assassins Creed etc... but he just won't touch an RPG. He's played and finished Fable 1-3, but he got bored of Fallout after 10 minutes and won't even turn on Oblivion.

Yeah, Assassins Creed Brotherhood is meant to be great too... think Lz was on about it recently. Or maybe Doom?
    whiteman19 wrote: »
    Yeah, i'm finding Fable 2 a bit too easy, with other RPGs, i've died a few times before finishing the game. not once did i die in Fable. kinda pissed off at it for that. the story in it is a bit weak as well. I'd like all RPGs to have a brilliant story like KOTOR.
    that had a brilliant story and good gameplay. Plot
    you being Revan was such a twist in the game. was not expecting it at all
    No RPG has made me feel that since :(

DAMN... when you quote a spoiler you can read it! Bah! Anyhows, I keep meaning to try KOTOR... is it playable on a 360?

yeah it's backward compatiable. it's also available on PC as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

What about the old school games? Remember Batman 89 on...what was it......the snes? :o No no, Batman Returns was on the Snes (awesome game too).

Anyway, both games fcuking ruled.

Funny story though, my brother just bought the old school game Ghost and Goblins on ebay, and has spent the past week obsessively playing it. :p I cannot play a game like that, it won't let you save!! :mad:

• Advertisement

^^ remember the amiga and the atari? have so many good memories of playing worms, mortal kombat, defender and rampage (to name a few) on them

we didn't have a manual for MK so anytime "Finish Him" came up, we'd be guessing the fatality moves :D occasionally we'd get it right, and then spend ages wondering how we done it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Man, I could never get the Fatality, too much presure! The WWE Smackdown games had the right idea, press L1 for the finisher and bob's your uncle. :pac:

i'd hate that, there's so sense of achievement with just pressing one button. gotta work towards it :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Funny story though, my brother just bought the old school game Ghost and Goblins on ebay, and has spent the past week obsessively playing it. :p I cannot play a game like that, it won't let you save!! :mad:

Ghosts and Goblins is as hard as Optimus Primes dick, great game.

Spent the last week doing thesis research, prep and pitch for college so I had to dig out the most aesthetically pleasing game to play... Okami (and a bit of Goldeneye Wii which is ugly as sin)

Okami is fantastic! On the Wii, tis lovely :)

Might and Magic 6 for eva.

I love this game. It's a 90's RPG for the pc. The graphics were a bit crap, but seemed great at the time. Most of the puzzles were infuriating and the AI had a habit of making the bad guys run away and hide in random corners when they were low on health so you couldn't kill them and take their stuff.

I. Love. This. Game.

I still play it every year or so.

tn004.jpg

Classic RPGs? Ah sure ya might as well start busting out your Secret of Mana and Chrono Triggers then loike. Ah memories.

I love morrowind, never finished the main quest, but just went around robbing people :D combat system was shít though.

might check out Might and Magic. i love hard puzzles in games :D Tomb Raider was one of my favourite games as a kid. pity they don't make as good a game like them anymore :( just mindless shooting games that don't need any skill. i still play TR2 and even though graphics don't compare to nowadays, it still ranks high in my games list

I love morrowind, never finished the main quest, but just went around robbing people :D combat system was shít though.

might check out Might and Magic. i love hard puzzles in games :D Tomb Raider was one of my favourite games as a kid. pity they don't make as good a game like them anymore :( just mindless shooting games that don't need any skill. i still play TR2 and even though graphics don't compare to nowadays, it still ranks high in my games list

Pft, screw Tomb Raider and get into the God of War games. Ya pussy.

Is Morrowind related to Baldur's Gate? I never finished Baldur's Gate, but I did get serrrrriously addicted to it. In the end my head nearly exploded due to so many choices, I mean, who was I to cut someone from the team and replace them with a busty Amazon barbarian goddess, who turned out to be a pain in the ass. Great game though.

don't have a playstation so no God of War for me. and don't diss the old TR games. They're brilliant :D

I don't think they're related. Morrowind is part of the Elder Scrolls series (Oblivion is part of that as well). i think you can get the earlier games for free

Arena - http://download.cnet.com/The-Elder-Scrolls-Arena-10th-anniversary-full-install/3000-7539_4-10281566.html
    Daggerfall - http://download.cnet.com/The-Elder-Scrolls-Chapter-II-Daggerfall/3000-8023_4-10964310.html?tag=mncol;1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Red dead redemption, undead nightmare.

Hmmm, I wonder if Baldur's Gate ties in with anything... it seems to. Must research.

Ah, gosh, played TR2 and just hated the controls, couldn't even get into the game.
    don't have a playstation so no God of War for me. and don't diss the old TR games. They're brilliant :D

I don't think they're related. Morrowind is part of the Elder Scrolls series (Oblivion is part of that as well). i think you can get the earlier games for free

Arena - http://download.cnet.com/The-Elder-Scrolls-Arena-10th-anniversary-full-install/3000-7539_4-10281566.html
    Daggerfall - http://download.cnet.com/The-Elder-Scrolls-Chapter-II-Daggerfall/3000-8023_4-10964310.html?tag=mncol;1

did you play it on the PS or PC?
    the controls on it are a bit hard at first, but you get used to them.

did you play it on the PS or PC?
    the controls on it are a bit hard at first, but you get used to them.

Both I think. It wasn't so much that they were hard to figure out, more that they were sluggish.

you should try playing it again. they've brought out patches to make it faster, and run without the CD.

I did the same thing. I rose to be the head of most of the guilds, all my skillz were over 9000, I had the best of everything before I remembered the main questline. The main boss was a total pushover. :D
    I just gave him a gentle push and he died and fell over.
    Hmmm, I wonder if Baldur's Gate ties in with anything... it seems to. Must research.

Dragon Age: Origins is meant to be a "spiritual" sequel to Baldur's Gate.
    I could never get into Baldur's Gate, the companion you get at the start annoyed the face off me.
    Dragon Age is great though. Even if it is a dating sim with an RPG build around it.
    I love Zevran, the heartbreaking man-whore. ;_; Why won't he love meeeeeeeee?

I did the same thing. I rose to be the head of most of the guilds, all my skillz were over 9000, I had the best of everything before I remembered the main questline. The main boss was a total pushover. :D
    i did the same sort of thing in Oblivion. i rose to the head of the Mages Guild, and then i enchanted loads of items to make me invisible. enemies couldn't see me and was able to kill them so easy :D

Dragon Age: Origins is meant to be a "spiritual" sequel to Baldur's Gate.
    I could never get into Baldur's Gate, the companion you get at the start annoyed the face off me.
    Dragon Age is great though. Even if it is a dating sim with an RPG build around it.
    I love Zevran, the heartbreaking man-whore. ;_; Why won't he love meeeeeeeee?

Hah, sounds like Leisure Suit Larry... with Dragons! :)

Ah, I was the same with Oblivion, I was mad into all the side quests and rose up in the guilds etc. I think it was mainly due to my fear of the demon yokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Planescape torment and Bloodlines.

Bloodlines is the worst buggiest abortion of a game ever put up for sale, you had to crack and hack it to continue the game, but that aside it is a wonderful game to play. Bases in White wolf's world of darkness before they ****ed it over and offering a range of different vampire clan chars and many different endings, it is a joy to play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

no rts fans? :eek:

Black and white 2 does it for me still looks great and it can just soak up what seems like days at a time :P
    Red dead redemption is probably the only console game that recently kept me up for hours just to see whats next.

but they cant compare with the epic that is diablo 1 that game soaked up many nights infact I sometimes went to school without any sleep because of it :D

Advertisement