Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-12-2010, 19:12   #1
fricatus

Honda Accord glow plug light flashing

Evening all...

I have a 05 Honda Accord 2.2 i-CTDI and I just got it serviced at the start of last week.

At the end of last week though, the glow plug indicator started flashing while I was driving on the motorway. I get the impression that the turbo had stopped working (like it was in "limp" mode) because it didn't hold its speed on cruise control up a hill.

I pulled off at the first exit and switched off the engine, and the indicator went off. The car drove fine after that.

However it's been on twice today - once on the way to work and once on the way back, and I'm wondering what people think. The manual says to switch off and on three times in succession if it happens, and then perhaps bring it to the dealership.

Any idea what's causing it? Is it just something to do with the current snowy conditions? I don't want to put the car at risk, so should I just go with what the manual says?
Advertisement
02-12-2010, 06:47   #2
fricatus

Bump.

There's another thread that mentions the diesel waxing/jellying up. Could this be the problem?
02-12-2010, 13:51   #3
munsterkerryfan

Fricatus, I posted on the other thread as I had the same issue. Somebody mentioned that changing the fuel filter would solve the problem because if the diesel had gelled, it would have clogged the filter.

Can anyone advise if it would be normal for the filter will declog itself once the weather goes back to normal or if the filter will have to be changed regardless?

Also, anyone have any idea how much it would cost to change the fuel filter?
02-12-2010, 23:02   #4
fricatus

Thanks munsterkerryfan.

Update on this. I rang the dealership and they said not to worry about it. Apparently it's happening quite a bit in the cold weather. What I was told is that if the emissions are falling outside the "envelope", something kicks in that limits the fuel supply, so as to keep the emissions within tolerance, and this leads to the glow plug light being displayed.

I must say, I'm still a little scooby dubious, but I'm happy to drive it like this with their assurance that I'm not doing damage to the engine. I'm looking forward to the thaw anyway, till we see whether the problem goes away.
02-12-2010, 23:04   #5
Quazzie
Hosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fricatus View Post
I'm looking forward to the thaw anyway, till we see whether the problem goes away.
It will
Advertisement
02-12-2010, 23:35   #6
Row

I'm guessing if these engines have a dpf then the regeneration process cannot be carried out correctly as the dpfs need to get up to around 5-600 degs C before the regen is completed.....what happens if you live in a country with a climate like this all the time....
03-12-2010, 09:37   #7
Zubeneschamali

Quote:
Originally Posted by fricatus View Post
Update on this. I rang the dealership and they said not to worry about it. Apparently it's happening quite a bit in the cold weather.
It's normal for a Honda diesel to act like it's in limp mode if the weather is a bit cold?

[crosses Honda off list]
03-12-2010, 09:41   #8
munsterkerryfan

Thanks lads. Cold snap is supposed to end towards the middle of next week so I suppose we will just have to wait and see if the car goes back to normal then!!!

At least it can be driven at the moment, just not very fast. That is not such a bad thing at the moment though.
08-12-2010, 09:30   #9

I've been having the exact same problem, same car and year. lost power on motorway and revs wouldnt go about 2' rpm so I had a max speed of around 50mph in 5th gear until I could get off the motor way, glow light also coming on and off...I've got a used car warranty and home assistance so Im waiting for them to come and check it out. Might try and start it up again today now I've read this as they said I face long delays for the assistance due to roadside assistance being higher priority...
Advertisement
08-12-2010, 10:16   #10
lukester

No DPF on this version of the Accord.

This thread may be of use, suggests it could just be a firmware issue.
08-12-2010, 10:54   #11

RAC Diagnostic code was p1065, fuel filter. Taking it to Honda now and I suspect
They will do Filter change. The garage I bought it from obviously didn't do the full service I was promised...
08-12-2010, 10:58   #12
lukester

Have heard of a few minor niggles on this engine that have all been resolved by changing the fuel filter. I believe it's a routine service item at a certain mileage, but not all garages do it.
08-12-2010, 11:04   #13
billbond4

yeah maybe the garage only drained the fuel filter as opposed to changing it (as recommened in the service manual every 2 years)
I get a mechanic to service my honda, get him to drain the filter one year and replace it the year after.
I always put the 0w-30 oil into my accord, that could be a contributing factor to problems as well.
08-12-2010, 11:07   #14
Paddysnapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukester View Post
Have heard of a few minor niggles on this engine that have all been resolved by changing the fuel filter. I believe it's a routine service item at a certain mileage, but not all garages do it.
I've known garages to charge for it on a routine service but not do it A certain garage (main dealer) pulled this stroke on me
08-12-2010, 11:12   #15
billbond4

yeah that why I buy all the bits from Honda but get a local mechanic to put them into the car.
Also it helps having an OBD software on my laptop so I can check for any fault codes that might be showing up.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion