Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Wintry spell forecasting discussion - 25/11/2010 onwards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I love this video of lake effect snow sweeping in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Is that snow currently out in the Irish sea?? And mor importantly will it come in to the east coast???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

maq im looking forward to seeing some of that coming towards me on my balcony this weekend :D

ye right :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Was renting a house up near the scenic carpark on Bray Head last year with a view northwards along the seafront-> harbour-> killiney->Dalkey Island->Howth Head

The lake effect snow off the Irish Sea looked pretty much like that

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

no snow this morning just a very frozen car..... just had a look at the beeb and they are not showing any snow at all for the weekend for dublin, I hope they are wrong

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/31

yet the other site I started to look at www.yr.no has upgraded us from rain and sleet to snow for the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

dbyrne wrote: »
    no snow this morning just a very frozen car..... just had a look at the beeb and they are not showing any snow at all for the weekend for dublin, I hope they are wrong

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/31

yet the other site I started to look at www.yr.no has upgraded us from rain and sleet to snow for the weekend.

I wouldn't worry too much what the beeb has to say, they obviously mainly focus their forecasts for the UK.

A cold -1.7c here, also in Rathfarnham.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Those BBC 5-dayers are hopeless and automatically generated - I wouldn't pay any attention to them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

Just looking out the window over south Dublin towards d4 and there seems to be alot of dark clouds covering the area, can't see north Dublin but hopefully they are nice White fluffy ones bringing snow from that direction

Don't know if anyone has the accuweather iPhone app but my one is telling me that the real feel temp is going to be 991oC at 8am, really don't want to be around for that as I think it will reduce my chance of snow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Just looking out the window over south Dublin towards d4 and there seems to be alot of dark clouds covering the area, can't see north Dublin but hopefully they are nice White fluffy ones bringing snow from that direction

Don't know if anyone has the accuweather iPhone app but my one is telling me that the real feel temp is going to be 991oC at 8am, really don't want to be around for that as I think it will reduce my chance of snow

The showers train is just hugging the coast, won't come inland here but may brush coast of Wicklow.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wind has gone to NNE at M2 bouy, so certainly I'd say those showers brush the Wicklow and Wexford coasts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Here are the overnight minima to 6am, (with grass minima included in brackets). Still not overly cold air temperatures for the majority of stations, and I wouldn't expect any different tonight as cloud increases from the north.

1 Casement Aerodrome (Ireland) -4.7 °C (-9°C)
    2 Gurteen (Ireland) -3.4 °C (-8°C)
    3 Mullingar (Ireland) -1.6 °C (-7°C)
    4 Dublin Airport (Ireland) -1.3 °C (-3°C)
    5 Shannon Airport (Ireland) -1.1 °C (-7°C)
    6 Ballyhaise, Cavan (Ireland) -0.5 °C (-4°C)
    7 Claremorris (Ireland) -0.5 °C (-7°C)
    8 Oak Park, Carlow (Ireland) -0.4 °C (-3°C)
    9 Connaught Airport (Ireland) -0.3 °C (-4°C)
    10 Johnstown Castle (Ireland) -0.2 °C (-1°C)
    11 Finner (Ireland) -0.1 °C
    12 Cork Airport (Ireland) 0.0 °C (-2°C)
    13 Valentia Observatory (Ireland) 0.9 °C (-0°C)
    14 Mace Head (Ireland) 1.9 °C (-0°C)
    15 Roches Point (Ireland) 2.3 °C (+1°C)
    16 Sherkin Island (Ireland) 3.2 °C (+1°C)
    17 Malin Head (Ireland) 3.3 °C (+1°C)
    18 Belmullet (Ireland) 3.7 °C (+0°C)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Cold night with a bit of wind which kept all the stations on the coast above freezing, all others dipped below.
    Currently 0c here after a low of -1.5. Hard frost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Snizzle which has turned into hail.
    May well see snow.
    2.7C, Dp -2.1C

Min of 2.3C half hour ago.

Hard surfaces is turning white :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Looking good for us on Saturday :)

10112712_2500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Looking good for us on Saturday :)

Don't worry, that little clearing will sit over the city :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

Met Eireann says it will only get to 0-2C on Sunday with snow showers for inland Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Min wrote: »

Met Eireann says it will only get to 0-2C on Sunday with snow showers for inland Leinster.

i'm no weather expert but predicting that far out at this stage isn't very reliable as to the extent of any possible snow. interesting to hear what the experts view of the next 24-36 hours is particularly on that weather feature spreading south tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

i'm no weather expert but predicting that far out at this stage isn't very reliable as to the extent of any possible snow. interesting to hear what the experts view of the next 24-36 hours is particularly on that weather feature spreading south tonight.

I expect to have snow tomorrow morning going by met Eireann.

Min wrote: »
    I expect to have snow tomorrow morning going by met Eireann.

the yr.no website has snow for where i am tomorrow evening. found this very reliable last winter so hopefully its right again. not sure what human input this website has though.

Tonight

This rain and sleet will spread southwards through the country and may fall as snow in the east of Ulster and Leinster. This will then be followed by drier conditions which will lead to frost and icy patches. A very cold night, with temperatures falling to between +1 and -3 degrees.

Headline: Very cold weather for the rest of this week and into next week. A cold night on Friday with temperatures falling to between zero and -3 degrees. There will be widespread frost setting in and some icy patches on the roads. It will remain dry overnight in many parts with the exception of coastal counties, where some wintry showers will develop and there is the risk of some sleet and snow falling inland and over high ground. Saturday and Sunday will have a lot of dry and bright weather inland but there will be further showers of rain, hail and sleet along coastal areas especially along eastern and northern coasts. Further inland in Leinster there is the risk of snow showers. Highest temperatures over the weekend will range from 1 to 4 on Saturday to only 0 to 2 on Sunday. The nights will be bitterly cold with lowest temperatures falling to between -3 and -5 and even lower, with widespread severe frosts.

Brrrrrrrrr.....

• Advertisement

Tonight

This rain and sleet will spread southwards through the country and may fall as snow in the east of Ulster and Leinster. This will then be followed by drier conditions which will lead to frost and icy patches. A very cold night, with temperatures falling to between +1 and -3 degrees.

Headline: Very cold weather for the rest of this week and into next week. A cold night on Friday with temperatures falling to between zero and -3 degrees. There will be widespread frost setting in and some icy patches on the roads. It will remain dry overnight in many parts with the exception of coastal counties, where some wintry showers will develop and there is the risk of some sleet and snow falling inland and over high ground. Saturday and Sunday will have a lot of dry and bright weather inland but there will be further showers of rain, hail and sleet along coastal areas especially along eastern and northern coasts. Further inland in Leinster there is the risk of snow showers. Highest temperatures over the weekend will range from 1 to 4 on Saturday to only 0 to 2 on Sunday. The nights will be bitterly cold with lowest temperatures falling to between -3 and -5 and even lower, with widespread severe frosts.

Brrrrrrrrr.....

maq whats your view on the charts this morning? any major changes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

ECMWF 00z still on the cool side all the way out to 240hs. Ensemble mean also remains cool throughout but with a slight trend towards slightly less cool conditions towards the end of its run

ECMWF Ensemble Mean chart at 240hrs (500hPa Geopotential)

136347.jpg

signals that troughing may develop to the SW of Ireland with an increasing chance of instability from the NW.

Ensemble mean 850hPa temps averaging around -5c throughout the run but increasing towards 0c towards the end.

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forecasts/d/charts/medium/eps/

maq whats your view on the charts this morning? any major changes?

I only had a quick look, didn't see any major changes in the near term. Looks to be a decent chance now the cold spell will last until the end of next week. Hopefully longer. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 danielpaul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

the yr.no website has snow for where i am tomorrow evening. found this very reliable last winter so hopefully its right again. not sure what human input this website has though.

None

• metcheck is not a professional outfit in my opinion and is one to delete from your book marks.
    Usually they derive their forecasts from each gfs run.
    Thats rather shall we say...useless.
    The person that started it up was jailed a few years ago and may still be in jail.
    I think he asked some others to maintain it.
    I don't know what the story is with it now but as I say ignore it and delete to be honest.

Su Campu wrote: »
    None

ok well i am still going to rely and keep faith in it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 danielpaul

metcheck is not a professional outfit in my opinion and is one to delete from your book marks.
    Usually they derive their forecasts from each gfs run.
    Thats rather shall we say...useless.
    The person that started it up was jailed a few years ago and may still be in jail.
    I think he asked some others to maintain it.
    I don't know what the story is with it now but as I say ignore it and delete to be honest.
    ya think the same

metcheck is not a professional outfit in my opinion and is one to delete from your book marks.

Ahh, don't delete it! Good for amusement/FI/dreaming. At one stage for next week for Dublin they had a daytime max of -5c with gale force easterly winds and heavy snow. Oh to dream! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

danielpaul wrote: »
    Honestly, it is very poor and you would be better advised to look at yr.no, accuweather or even weather.co.uk. Better keep an eye on this forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement