Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MyPOIs

Options
  • 17-11-2010 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have bought a new Garmin 3790T Sat Nav recently to coincide with my new job where I am travelling around to customer sites. I must say I am quite disappointed at how difficult it is to enter destinations. Sometimes I put in the address, it cant find anything, yet when I manually drag the map to the area, the road and road name are there?!

Anyway, basically I need to find an easier way of finding industrial estates and various other locations around the country and therefore stumbled upon the MyPOI's website. I notice you have to pay for this information so I wanted to ask if anyone else on here had used them?

Are they any good?
    Accurate?
    Decent number of locations?
    Are the garda camera locations any good?
    Any other info?

I would really appreciate your help on this as I really need to improve the effectiveness of my satnav, otherwise I'll need to pay a trip to the OSI shop for one of their latest paperback editions!

Many thanks

Paul
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,332 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have never subscribed to the myPOIs service but I do know the shop in Sandyford that runs the service, they also operate the www.mysatnav.ie website, they are a good bunch of people who sell and hire out GPS units, they've been in business for several years now and are not going to disappear in the morning.

Based on my dealings with them I would reckon they are not in the business to make a fast buck and pawn something off as something that it is not, something you can't say for another prominent Irish service provider in this area who popup all over the place in boards forums.

There used to be a paper map of Dublin Industrial Estates but I can't see it on the OSi website.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭paulgrogan.eu

Hi there,

Thanks a million for that feedback, its great to know. However I would love to hear from someone who has actually used these POI's, and how effective are they?

Which price plan should I go with?

I notice that they have the new Safety Camera hot spots included, do these appear on the map as your driving or how do they work?

Many thanks in advance!

Rgds

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 22 DocMcC

Hi there,

Thanks a million for that feedback, its great to know. However I would love to hear from someone who has actually used these POI's, and how effective are they?

Which price plan should I go with?

I notice that they have the new Safety Camera hot spots included, do these appear on the map as your driving or how do they work?

Many thanks in advance!

Rgds

Paul

Hi,

I have actually paid for the premium+ pois and to be honest they are a total waste of money.

1) there are thousands of points so in cities (e.g. Dublin) they are far to many to be of any use also these list is built from public domain sources so can be very out of date, there does not seem to be any "sanity" checking done on the files.

2) The Premium + has over 5000+ "possible" locations for speed cameras. If you leave your garmin on to "alert" you it just beeps the whole time - very annoying - to be included on the list a speed trap has to be reported by a member of the public twice. This list belongs to IRISHSPEEDTRAPS.com, they also sell the list and they at least they will give you your money back if you are not satisfied as well as offering genuine customer support if you are having trouble loading the pois to your Garmin. They do not tell you that these do not include the new speed enforcement zones. They charge the same as mypois.ie and appear to offer better service. mypois.ie will not give you your money back - I suggest you read their Conditions very carefully before signing up.

3) mypois.ie do not tell you that you can only download the pois to certain garmin devices. You find this out by either a) reading the FAQ beforehand (who does this!) or b) as I did, after you have paid for it - at which point it is too late. Their "customer support" don't want to know if you have problems, They were quite abusive in their emails - I think they should have take some customer relations classes.

4) The new speed cameras are just a hash of the data on the garda website (I got mine from the Today FM website). mypois.ie have set them with a speed limit of zero so as you come near them the garmin alerts you. This is again very annoying. I made my own that alerts me when you get to 50kmh using the Garmin POI loader and a CSV file.

5) mypois.ie is a rip off - a perfect example of what has destroyed this country, you only realise this once you have paid them - they give half information, hide pertinant facts deep in their website and charge you for what is essentially "free" - search this forum and you will be able to get lots of pois files for nothing. That are as good, if not better than mypois' ones.

I have attached a copy of my POI file and the CSV file they were created from - you can change the speeds in the csv file by changing the number after the @ sign.

To load just copy the poi.gpi file to your garmin into the poi directory or use the poi loader to "compile" the file - if you attach your garmin it will put it in the correct folder.

You can get the POIloader from here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=927

If you need anything more PM me or have any suggestions as to how to improve the file.

(I would like to set the correct speed limits for each of the 515 locations at some point.)
    Download here:

Garmin Speed Cameras 40kmh (2).zip

Have added a file with much more detailed information - this should mean that you are alerted if you come into a zone from a side road - this is still in test. No one else offers this so try at your own risk. Download here:

Poi.zip

"you may have won the battle only to lose the war!"

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

DocMcC wrote: »

Have added a file with much more detailed information - this should mean that you are alerted if you come into a zone from a side road - this is still in test. No one else offers this so try at your own risk. Download here:

Poi.zip

"you may have won the battle only to lose the war!"

Thanks for that ill give it a try, how did you make it do that?

Advertisement