Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-11-2010, 13:31   #1
dahat

Done deal.ie

Now i am aware that this will prompt people into posting about the pitfalls of the site.
I use it to sell the jack russells i breed from time to time and i believe that most people who came to me were genuine people.I have refused a sale 3 times due to the person being not suitable for whatever reason.
The terrier i breed is a non reg type and this site is a usefull medium to sell/purchase given the correct conditions of seller's,in my opnion.
my question is..........people here have flamed the site----is this from personal experience or has anyone had a good experience buying from there?
Advertisement
01-11-2010, 13:48   #2
yolanda

Quite right and I, myself will probably get flamed for the following post for not being responsible, supporting puppy farms, not going the rescue dog route etc etc etc...

I got my guy from done deal. I visited 3 different breeders before I found one I was happy with. I did not find any disgusting or cruel breeders but just ones I wasnt 100% happy with.
The website gave me a massive selection from different localities that suited where I am based. Yes there are dodgy breeders on the site but this is a fact of life. There will always be a few bad apples among the bunch.
I did research other websites, papers, local notices etc and it just happened that I found my guy on this website.
Done deal does get a huge amount of potential buyers and if you are a reputable breeder you will have no problems.

All the best with the terriers.
01-11-2010, 13:51   #3
Whispered

I think peoples main problems are not with the good breeders and responsible buyers like yourselves - but with the bad breeders and the buyers who do no research and buy from the bad breeders.
(2) thanks from:
01-11-2010, 13:52   #4
sophie1234

Ive gotten my two dgs succesfully from done deal! With help fron ikc and breeders listing i got mine! As long as you know how what to say when ringing done deal it works out ok!
Thanks from:
01-11-2010, 13:53   #5
dahat

i have encountered many bad apples myself........

i look through the site regarding my breed daily and i have taken down number's,noticed kenneling area's etc. if i ever buy from there again i can reference these numbers to my notebook.
Advertisement
01-11-2010, 13:53   #6
primavera85

i havent bought anything from donedeal, i had my terrier advertised for stud there for a short while, i had so many russel owners ringing me asking to use my dog for stud effectively wanting to xbreed that i chose to remove my advert.

to be honest, i havent seen any dogs on there that are of sufficient quality for me to consider going to view them in my chosen breeds.
01-11-2010, 13:59   #7
dahat

Quote:
Originally Posted by primavera85 View Post
i havent bought anything from donedeal, i had my terrier advertised for stud there for a short while, i had so many russel owners ringing me asking to use my dog for stud effectively wanting to xbreed that i chose to remove my advert.

to be honest, i havent seen any dogs on there that are of sufficient quality for me to consider going to view them in my chosen breeds.
cross breeding russell's with other toy breeds is very common to get so called designer breed's..

buying from there requires alot of thought and carefull observation regarding premises and breeder's..buying from there is not for the first time purchaser in my opinion.
01-11-2010, 14:01   #8
homerhop

I got my pup on done deal, I had been looking for the best part of 2 years pondering the pros and cons of getting another dog. When i seen the pup on the website i was quiet unsure if i was going to buy the dog and spent a good length of time on the phone to the breeder. I met him the following evening at his house and spent well over an hour there with him, talking about his dogs all the time seeing how he interacted with his own and how they were around him. I am quiet happy with the pup and with the guy I bought him off, and would have no hesitation dealing with him in another 17 years time.
01-11-2010, 14:08   #9
primavera85

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahat View Post
cross breeding russell's with other toy breeds is very common to get so called designer breed's..

buying from there requires alot of thought and carefull observation regarding premises and breeder's..buying from there is not for the first time purchaser in my opinion.
my lad isnt a toy breed, hes a very well bred fell terrier.

Last edited by primavera85; 01-11-2010 at 14:11.
Advertisement
01-11-2010, 14:20   #10
TooManyDogs

I think the main problem with donedeal is that inexperienced people who are looking for a dog often end up buying a pup from an irresponsible breeder because they don't really know what to look out for. There does seem to be a higher number of dodgy breeders there than in other advertising places.
Unfortunately alot of people don't know the amount of research that is necessary to buy a healthy pup and think the breeder is being very kind by offering to meet them half way etc.

There's nothing wrong with buying a dog from donedeal but I think it would help its own reputation hugely if it had a 'buyers guide' type article on the 'dog' page with tips to help inexperienced people determine the good breeders from the bad ones
Thanks from:
01-11-2010, 15:06   #11
Wisco

Through my job I used to come into contact with lots of puppy breeders, or perhaps more accurately, puppy farmers. They all told me they listed on donedeal, and this is what put me off it. Having said that, I have a good friend who found her lovely pup advertised there and from what she told me, it was a perfectly reputable seller, although I had warned her to be EXTREMELY careful. I would personally never, ever use it.
01-11-2010, 15:29   #12
adrenalinjunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahat View Post
people here have flamed the site----is this from personal experience or has anyone had a good experience buying from there?
I have never bought or sold a dog on donedeal, however it is the only countrywide resource for buying and selling horses. I bought my own horse from the site, I paid less than quarter of the asking price as she was not at all what the current owners said she was. I had 3 visits of over 4 hours each assessing this horse, she had a saddle which did not fit at all, it was impossible to tell what her temprament was because she was completely dosed up on oats, was fat and unhealthy, had the worst farriery work I have ever seen in my life to the point where she wasn't physically able to canter so did proper vertical bucks instead, was being yanked in the mouth and had a wolf tooth that had gone unnoticed, was living in a central heated garage on a concrete floor with no bed. She was completely spoiled and ruined by the owners who were completely ignorant, hadn't a clue and had advertised her as a show-jumping prospect suitable for an adult beginner or a child. They had changed the ad 3 times and it was near where I lived at the time and went out of curiousity. Now I knew exactly what I was getting into but those people could well have been responsible for the death of 'an adult beginner or a child'. Hope this answers your origional question to some extent.
(3) thanks from:
01-11-2010, 15:46   #13
magentas

I got my pup from donedeal and was very happy although am planning to adopt soon and don't think I'll buy again

our little fella was 8wks and got him from a farmer in mayo
googled his number and all that came up was an ad or two for farm machinery on buy and sell
he asked us tonnes of questions about ourselves and the house which was great, I was impressed that he was so interested in the pups future!
he seemed dissappointed that he wouldn't have him on a farm as he came from generations of working dogs but when we convinced him that we would give him a loving home with plenty of secure outdoor space and exercise etc. he was happy
we chatted to him and his wife and young son for about an hour and they were genuinely lovely people
saw the mother who had been out working with him when we arrived and all the siblings as ours was first of the litter to go

whispered hit the nail on the head...it's all about responsible breeding and buying

some tips for weeding out the bad breeders would be:
Google the contact number/email address to see if they have other dogs advertised or how long since the last litter

When you call just say you're enquiring about the pup on donedeal
If they say which ones, hang up

when you go to view pups, make sure you see one or both parents.
have the pups been examined by a vet
see where they are sleeping and what they are being fed
are all food and water bowls clean
have they been wormed and vaccinated
see how the breeder acts around the dogs and how dogs react to breeder
do they ask questions about you and your situation ie. is there secure garden? Is there kids? Do you have experience with dogs?

Any good breeder will not allow a pup go to an irresponsible owner...it is their responsibility to ensure this

If that's the route you choose to take then that's your choice

Just try to keep in mind that there are some wonderful dogs (including new-born pups and well trained dogs if owners had to immigrate) in shelters looking for loving homes

the reason why there are so many unwanted dogs in Ireland is because there is such a huge overpopulation of them and a lot of that is down to bad breeders and puppy farms
If the breeders weren't profiting from what they're doing, there wouldn't be irreponsible people buying dogs and then getting rid of them when they don't want them anymore

A healthy dog of good temperment shouldn't be put down purely because they are a surplus
Thanks from:
01-11-2010, 16:02   #14
dahat

Quote:
Originally Posted by primavera85 View Post
my lad isnt a toy breed, hes a very well bred fell terrier.
not aimed at you at all..it was just a comment on cross breeding..........
05-11-2010, 02:14   #15
scudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by pms33 View Post
A word of warning to anyone looking at advertisements for puppies for sale, the photo in the advertisement may not be of any of the pups in the litter in question at all.
If you google 'photos of pomeranian pups for sale', you will see that the first pup shown is a beautiful fluffy pup. Isn't he/she gorgeous? I understand that this is a photo of a pup that was for sale some time ago in New Zealand.
Now if you go to www.buyandsell.ie and search for pomeranian pups for sale, go to an advertisement that has been on the site for the last three weeks, Same photo! What do you think of this?
Buy and Sell refused to delete this advertisement, according to Buy and Sell it is acceptable for an advertiser to use a photo in his/her advertisement that has been downloaded from Google Images.
This is so unfair to those seeking to buy a pup. Such a person could incur a lot of travel expenses, in the belief that he/she had seen a lovely photo of one of the litter being advertised for sale.
This type of misleading advertising would not be allowed by reputable advertising sites in the UK. I understand that it would not be allowed by another Irish site either. I will know which to use if I am looking for a pomeranian pup, certainly not Buy and Sell.

This is your 6th post now, all EXACTLY the same, while i may or may not agree with you it is still spamming the forum.

Why not just enter into a discussion rather than copy and paste the same post over and over?
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion