Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Railway preservation groups, who's the best?

• 25-10-2010 8:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭

As it says above, what Irish railway preservation group do you think is the best organised, most pro-active, friendliest, best presented group, with a good relationship with Irish Rail? Lets just say, if you won the lotto and decided to make a donation to one of these groups based on the reasons above, who would it be?;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

LaughingSmileyBall.gif&t=1

Not a lot of choice is there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Well there's a few! Unless I've missed something????:confused:

newmug wrote: »
    Well there's a few! Unless I've missed something????:confused:

Go on then - your nominations.

RPSI, ITG, ISPS (ok I know they're not just railways), Waterford and Suir Valley railway, The Downpatrick & Co. Down Railway, West Claire railway, theres a few just off the top of my head!!!!

So if you had a million Euro, who do you think would be most deserving? Who has the biggest overheads? Who's doing a good job but could do with a hand? Who are just chancers? Who am I leaving out?

RPSI, ITG, ISPS (ok I know they're not just railways), Waterford and Suir Valley railway, The Downpatrick & Co. Down Railway, West Claire railway, theres a few just off the top of my head!!!!

So if you had a million Euro, who do you think would be most deserving? Who has the biggest overheads? Who's doing a good job but could do with a hand? Who are just chancers? Who am I leaving out?

Okay, in fairness there are a few and I will preface my comments by saying that if I won the Lotto it is doubtful that I would be donating to any of them.

RPSI - The Daddy of the preservation movement. Plenty of dosh, high level of organisational ability and in my experience arrogant and unfriendly. NO.
    The Irish Traction Group - by far the most deserving. Friendly, hardworking but mainline diesel tours with their locomotives seems to be a thing of the past. NO
    Irish Steam Preservation Society (Stradbally) - a small group of railway enthusiasts who play trains in their own little world. NO.
    Waterford & Suir Valley - long line, boring, unfriendly. No steam and don't want it. Long term future doubtful. NO
    The Downpatrick & Co.Down Railway - doing a good job (except on the security front), unfriendly IMO, and sure their in a foreign country. NO
    The West Clare Railway - a private fiefdom - so why would you give them/him any of your Lotto winnings? NO

I will refrain from adding other railway 'preservation' groups to your list otherwise a ban will probably follow.

• Advertisement

Okay, in fairness there are a few and I will preface my comments by saying that if I won the Lotto it is doubtful that I would be donating to any of them.

RPSI - The Daddy of the preservation movement. Plenty of dosh, high level of organisational ability and in my experience arrogant and unfriendly. NO.
    The Irish Traction Group - by far the most deserving. Friendly, hardworking but mainline diesel tours with their locomotives seems to be a thing of the past. NO
    Irish Steam Preservation Society (Stradbally) - a small group of railway enthusiasts who play trains in their own little world. NO.
    Waterford & Suir Valley - long line, boring, unfriendly. No steam and don't want it. Long term future doubtful. NO
    The Downpatrick & Co.Down Railway - doing a good job (except on the security front), unfriendly IMO, and sure their in a foreign country. NO
    The West Clare Railway - a private fiefdom - so why would you give them/him any of your Lotto winnings? NO

I will refrain from adding other railway 'preservation' groups to your list otherwise a ban will probably follow.

Jebus!!!!!! Eh, well thanks for that! Maybe the ITG could do with a little cash injection to get their loco's rolling again so? Why would you be banned from throwing another few names out there? PM me if you dont want to put them up publicly! Peeps, I'm serious about this!

Me gets the feeling there is a lot of rivalry / can-of-worms type stuff goin on here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

As it says above, what Irish railway preservation group do you think is the best organised, most pro-active, friendliest, best presented group, with a good relationship with Irish Rail? Lets just say, if you won the lotto and decided to make a donation to one of these groups based on the reasons above, who would it be?;)

RPSI tick all these boxes IMO !!! My knowledge of the other groups is limited so I can't comment on their behalf, hopefully members of some of these groups who post here will comment positively too !:)
    Some useful info about the various groups on this link. Good luck with your enthusiasm, wherever it may lead you !:)
    http://www.irishrailwaynews.com/links.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

It would be best to give it to the ITG. The RPSI ticks most boxes but they would only get more arrogant and unfriendly. Also it's always better to have a fall back organisation.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Would you not donate to Iarnrod Eireann? :p

Fintown Railway, Co.Donegal

http://www.antraen.com/

Very scenic, some authentic stock, very remote and not particularly friendly. Future uncertain IMO - especially if the Foyle Valley Rly in Derry ever reopens. NO donation.

train.jpg

• Advertisement

Co. Donegal Railway Restoration Limited
    The Old Station House, Tyrconnell Street, Donegal Town, Co. Donegal
    http://www.cdrrl.com/

Now a museum, was to have been an operating railway and largely propped up by UK enthusiasts and FAS. Will probably survive as a museum unless it receives the attention of the village idiots - quite possible given its exposed location. Possibly worthy of a donation but not from me.

Trailer%205.jpg
    Railcar Trailer No. 5 on display - outside - the museum!

Foyle Valley Railway Museum, Derry

Defunct, unlikely to reopen and if it wasn't for the bursting of the property bubble it would have probably been built on by now.

When open it was full of inter-communal strife and fighting with everybody - especially Derry City Council. All very sad and NO donation!

335418_e548c842.jpg
    No.4. "Meenglas" of 1907 returns to earth outside the closed down museum.
    Photo: Copyright Wilson Adams.

Would you not donate to Iarnrod Eireann? :p

We are already, but certain posters should donate extra as penance !!! ;)

The Difflin Lake Railway on the Oakfield Park Estate, near Rahpoe, is owned and operated by multi-millionaire Sir Gerry Robinson and I'm sure he would be glad to accept YOUR donation but again he's getting nowt from me.

http://www.oakfieldpark.com/

IMGP4341.jpg

The Giant's Causeway & Bushmills Railway
    http://www.freewebs.com/giantscausewayrailway/

Privately run tourist steam railway, encourages volunteers and seems to have lots of dosh behind it. Haven't been yet so I can't gauge how friendly it is but given its location.... No donation.

DSCF1309.JPG

Peatlands Park, Dungannon
    http://www.ni-environment.gov.uk/places_to_visit_home/parks/peatlands.htm

A Nothern Ireland Dept.of Environment bog railway experience - only for the diehard narrow gauge enthusiast. Unless you feel the need to prop up the British Treasury keep your Lotto winnings. No donation.

peatlands_express_train.jpg

The Tralee Blennerville Railway, Co.Kerry

A monument to the people of Tralee (those in authority anyway) and in no way deserving of any donation. Has gobbled huge sums of money, hasn't operated for years, was unfriendly in the extreme, was/is a travesty compared to the old Tralee & Dingle Railway. Survival extremely unlikely. Chances are there won't even be a "xxxxxx dinner" special as the track has also fallen into disrepair. No donation.

boiler7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Baron de Robeck

Just a couple of observations of my experience of the above mentioned groups:

Personally I found the Downpatrick & Co. Down Railway to be very welcoming and friendly. On my first visit I was a bit early and was given a tour of the station and workshops before getting on the train. Most of the volunteers were chatty and friendly and I became a member before I left. Being north of the border this railway benefits from grants and lottery money but still needs to fundraise to achieve its goals.

The County Donegal Railway likewise gave me a warm welcome. They continue to restore rolling stock but apart from a short stretch beside a former station they have no operational line. This group seem to get a lot of support from the local authority and community and have ambitious plans.

The ITG in my opinion have never had a easy run of things and if there was a reward for perserverance they would win it hands down as with all the obstacles thrown in their path it is amazing they didn't give up years ago! The past year has been positive on the loco front, both acquisitions and restoration, but the lack of a permanent, suitable home is worrying. Running heritage diesels on the main line is further away than ever but at least the locos are being preserved with the potential for main line running in the future if circumstances change.

While the West Clare Railway is being financed by one man it has to be said that great progress has been made and without this commitment we would have no chance of seeing sections of this railway restored. Again I have found the owner very friendly and chatty.

Apart from being on some RPSI tours I have no real experience of this group or the others mentioned so can't really comment.

The Lartigue Monorail, Listowel, Co.Kerry

http://www.lartiguemonorail.com/

003.jpg

A well thought out recreation of the original monorail albeit with an internal combustion engine replica steam locomotive. Appears to be professionally operated compared to its neighbour in Blennerville. Worth a visit but hardly needs a donation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 The Stroller

How about putting the money towards running heritage trains over the now closed South Wexford line???

• Advertisement

Dunsandle Railway Station, Co.Galway
    http://dunsandlestation.blogspot.com/

One man's dream/nightmare. Dunsandle station on the former Loughrea branch is now home to some of the former inmates of the defunct Westrail (Tuam) project. It has to be said that despite the money obviously spent, and the enthusiasm behind the project - storing rolling stock in the open leads to only one place - Hammond Lane. Sadly unless you win the Euro Millions NO donation here either.

DSCF0087.jpg

The Cavan & Leitrim Railway, Dromod, Co.Leitrim

Watch this video and you will appreciate why no further comment is needed. What started out as an authentic recreation of an Irish Narrow Gauge Railway has turned into a circus. No donation - I've already given mine - about €250k. Enough for now - time for some real work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

OP is there a particular interest or loco you want to see, may help you decide. If it was me I'd give to RPSI on the understanding that any money I gave would be used to rebuild the Hunslet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

"xxxxxx dinner"

Thank you :)

Thanks for all your replies, there's some collection of preservation groups to choose from there now(thanks JD;))!!!!

OP is there a particular interest or loco you want to see, may help you decide. If it was me I'd give to RPSI on the understanding that any money I gave would be used to rebuild the Hunslet :)

Thats a good idea Cookie Monster. To be honest though, I'm mostly after a group who has a good relationship with Irish rail, and is ran in a professional way. I admit I have a soft spot for the GM loco's and MK2/3's, so if it was a toss up between 2 equal, excellently ran organisations, one GM's and one steam, it'd be the GM's! But thats a hypothetical situation. Main thing is I want to know that what I have to offer wont go to waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I admit I have a soft spot for the GM loco's and MK2/3's, so if it was a toss up between 2 equal, excellently ran organisations, one GM's and one steam, it'd be the GM's! .

Well the RPSI has three out of four, mk2s, steam and gm's

Well the RPSI has three out of four, mk2s, steam and gm's

Good to know flyingsnail, but surely they're not the only ones? What has the ITG? Where are they all stored, the RPSI's stuff and the ITG's stuff? Also, I'd like to hear what IR think, if anyone on here works for IR, who do you like to deal with most?

Good to know flyingsnail, but surely they're not the only ones? What has the ITG? Where are they all stored, the RPSI's stuff and the ITG's stuff? Also, I'd like to hear what IR think, if anyone on here works for IR, who do you like to deal with most?

As well as its steam locos, the RPSI has gm's 141,142,134 and another baby gm to be acquired at later date. 141 and 134 are based in Dublin and 142 is in Whitehead. There is a list of Dublin based heritage coaches here and Dublin based Cravens here. The mk 2s are all based in whitehead (list) along with heritage coaches (list) and some goods vehicles (list).

The ITG has A class 003 (In West Clare Railway, Moyasta), A39 (In Downpatrick), Sulzer B103 (Carrick on Suir). Gm's 124, 146 and 190. 124 and 190 are in the West Clare Railway, Moyasta. I am not sure of the current location of 146. C class 231 (West Clare Railway, Moyasta) and 226 at Carrick on Suir.
    G class 601,611,616,617.
    601 and 616 are in Carrick on Suir. 617 and 611 are at Downpatrick. The ITG has no Coaches.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

In my opinion most of these groups are deserving in their own way. Having travelled on RPSI, DCDR, ISPS, WSVR and ITG operations I've found the staff to be quite friendly in all of them. Never been to West Clare but by all accounts its a well intentioned project. Not sure what the comments about it being a private fifedom are founded in. Not sure what is meant about the RPSI being arrogant either.

I'm sure I'm not the only to notice that certain posters always seem to find fault with just about every rail group under the sun. Sour grapes me thinks. To be honest newmug you'd probably get a more rounded opinion on one of the other rail sites...

• Advertisement

In my opinion most of these groups are deserving in their own way. Having travelled on RPSI, DCDR, ISPS, WSVR and ITG operations I've found the staff to be quite friendly in all of them. Never been to West Clare but by all accounts its a well intentioned project. Not sure what the comments about it being a private fifedom are founded in. Not sure what is meant about the RPSI being arrogant either.

I'm sure I'm not the only to notice that certain posters always seem to find fault with just about every rail group under the sun. Sour grapes me thinks. To be honest newmug you'd probably get a more rounded opinion on one of the other rail sites...

The certain poster that you refer to bases his opinions on his personal experiences over 30+ years - what do you expect him to do? As for the fiefdom remark, the West Clare Railway is a private limited company - as far as I know - do a search at the companies office if you like.

http://www.cro.ie/search/CompanyDetails.aspx?id=103925&type=C

The Lartigue Monorail, Listowel, Co.Kerry

http://www.lartiguemonorail.com/

003.jpg

A well thought out recreation of the original monorail albeit with an internal combustion engine replica steam locomotive. Appears to be professionally operated compared to its neighbour in Blennerville. Worth a visit but hardly needs a donation.

Its Hatz diesel motor driven. :mad:

Could someone explain why people are so obsessed with these hunslets.:eek:

Well, they were kind of different to anything else running mainline in Ireland and there were only three of them. A lot of nonsense has gone on surrounding their preservation but hopefully that is in the past and one of the survivors No.102 "Falcon" will return to service eventually.

800px-101_NIR_enterprise_service_-_dublin_-_15-09-1980.jpg

But arent they fairly crap compared to all the GM locos.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Baron de Robeck

I don't know enough about the Hunslets to compare them with the GMs but however good or bad they are they are still part of Irish railway history and deserving of preservation. 102 is now the sole survivor I believe as 101 was broken up in recent times.

• Advertisement

topnotch wrote: »
    But arent they fairly crap compared to all the GM locos.:pac:

On that basis the preservation of all the Deutz (G-class) locomotives would seem daft. However, the success or otherwise of a particular item of railway equipment is not the usual criteria for its preservation.

So can anyone go and see these preserved loco's and carraiges, or do you have to be a member of the particular group that owns them?

So can anyone go and see these preserved loco's and carraiges, or do you have to be a member of the particular group that owns them?

Just turn up and hope that there's somebody to show you around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Just turn up and hope that there's somebody to show you around.
    are any of these "museums" reachable by rail? or public transport?

foggy_lad wrote: »

RPSI depot - is close by Whitehead NIR station.
    Foyle Valley Rly Museum (closed) - across bridge from NIR Derry station.
    Downpatrick & Co.Down Rly - bus from Belfast brings you to Downpatrick bus depot - adjacent to station.
    Suir Valley Rly - Bus from Waterford brings you close and during the summer their is a special shuttle to the railway from Waterford.
    C&L - across the road from the IE station.
    Tralee Blennerville Rly - Dingle bus goes past station.

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    That scrap yard in Dromod is just off the main Dublin Sligo line.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

"xxxxxx dinner"

That sounds a bit erotic :D:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭med1

the rpsi stock in dublin cant be seen as it is stored in inchicore works
    i find that their trips are mainly family orientated not for us enthusiasts which is proberly why some people find them arrogant they are too busy looking after kids and parents.the itg cater for us enthusuasts but dont really run tours anymore.the downpatrick railway is also family based but also looks after the enthusiast and is also the only place to find a running a class

So say, for example, as an enthusiast, could you just walk up to a stored loco in any of these places and just hop into the cab? It seems a bit unrealistic TBH

So say, for example, as an enthusiast, could you just walk up to a stored loco in any of these places and just hop into the cab? It seems a bit unrealistic TBH

What I suggested was that you turn up and hope that there's somebody to show you around. In the case of Blennerville much of the stock rubbish is dumped in public view - ditto Dromod. RPSI Whitehead and Downpatrick it would tend to be locked up in compounds. There are contact details on any of the links that I posted so I suggest you try there first. Incidentally, hopping up into the cab is generally frowned upon unless you're invited.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

I wouldn't say so in this day and age of health and safety. I believe the RPSI have a few open days at Whitehead during the summer where they park an engine in the platform so people can have a look in it's cab.

Anyone know how the Irish Railway Heritage Group are progressing in their quest for a suitable broad gauge line ? That would be interesting if it takes off ! ;)

steamengine - the Irish Railway Heritage Group are dreamers and their 'project' will never come to fruition. Remember where you heard it first. It was tried back in the 1980s by WISRA/Westrail and the GSRPS. If it couldn't be done back then it certainly ain't going to happen now. They like having meetings in the Oslo Bar - only God knows why as it's such an awful kip - and even the meetings seem to have petered out judging from posts on IRN.

I don't know how they are getting on but there has been no updates to their news section since July. (link)

Anyone know how the Irish Railway Heritage Group are progressing in their quest for a suitable broad gauge line ? That would be interesting if it takes off ! ;)
    There is currently 51.61 miles of perfectly good 5' 3"gauge track lying idle between Rosslare and Waterford, why should they go to the trouble of constructing any more. :p

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement