Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-10-2010, 02:49   #1
swizzle123

Postgrad in Primary teaching...

Hey guys...

Im currently in fourth year of studying Early childhood Education which is an honours degree...

I really want to go on and do primary school teaching, however I only have a B1 in ordinary level irish?? Anone know of my best options of places to go to study?? Is it essential I have hons Irish? If so, how do I go about getting the grade of Irish I need???

Thanks guys....
Advertisement
23-10-2010, 18:01   #2
dambarude

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle123 View Post
I really want to go on and do primary school teaching, however I only have a B1 in ordinary level irish?? Anone know of my best options of places to go to study?? Is it essential I have hons Irish? If so, how do I go about getting the grade of Irish I need???
Yes minimum C3 in Hl Irish is needed, either that or a pass in first year Arts Irish, or one of a list of 3rd levels diplomas in Irish. Most people fulfill this requirement by repeating LC Irish on its own. Many people pay for grinds or attend classes to to do this. You'd have to register for the subject with the SEC (State Exams Commission).

There's lots of info on the whole area on the forum at www.educationposts.ie.
Thanks from:
04-01-2011, 11:25   #3
swizzle123

thanks!!! I really need to sort out what im going to do with my life
Thank you so so much!!!
06-01-2011, 12:15   #4
kimberlite

you could also go to the UK and train in 9 months (see www.gttr.co.uk) and when you come back then you have to do the SCG exam - Scrúdú le haghaidh Cáilíochta sa Ghaeilge. basically to see if you have a sufficient standard of irish. Plenty of my friends have gone that route and it is manageable. It wouldn't be quite as difficult as the leaving cert but still prose, poetry etc and an oral. also have to teach an irish lesson in the classroom and be inspected on it.
good luck!
Thanks from:
07-01-2011, 15:25   #5
swizzle123

Ok i must actually look into that! I had heard of going to england but I wasn't sure if I would have had to start from scratch like do 3 years.....
Advertisement
07-01-2011, 17:40   #6
kimberlite

no its all done and dusted in 9 months. much faster than here. I did the 18month post grad here. just check though some colleges over there require you to have done a science subject for Leaving Cert.
Thanks from:
07-01-2011, 19:49   #7
swizzle123

aw k cool!!!! Thank you so much, that really is a huge help!!
08-01-2011, 16:00   #8
seriouslysweet

You need to pass an exam in Irish when you come back though which is supposed to be difficult so not training here does not get you out of Irish.
Thanks from:
08-01-2011, 17:17   #9
pooch90

Only if you plan on coming back!to be honest doing the post grad in the English curriculum opens so many opportunities to work abroad.if i had done my training this way i wouldn't be coming back to Ireland to beg for work. Good luck op.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
08-01-2011, 20:42   #10
swizzle123

Well i knew that if i wanted to teach in this country Irish would have to be got somewhere....
I probably am as well to have it in case I ever wanted to come back to work here...
08-01-2011, 22:09   #11
pooch90

I wouldn't worry too much about the Irish until you know your next step. I've spent the Last two days researching teaching abroad and they really seem keen to get Uk teachers. Most international schools teach the uk curriculum. Job situation here is horrible. If i had uk training I'd be gone in a shot!
Thanks from:
10-01-2011, 22:01   #12
swizzle123

So if I were to train in England I would be more or less sorted to work most countries??

Being realistic I probably will be doing it in England!
10-01-2011, 22:38   #13
Paddytheplaster

Hi there, I hope to do the primary teaching too in the UK. The only thing is I missed the 1 Dec deadline with the GTTR in order to start in Sept 2011. Hoping to get few weeks experience in teaching here before I start.
In UK you need to have done LC in English, Maths and a Science subject in order to qualify.
Anyone know about the Graduate Teacher Programme in the UK?
10-01-2011, 23:25   #14
pooch90

Quote:
Originally Posted by swizzle123 View Post
So if I were to train in England I would be more or less sorted to work most countries??

Being realistic I probably will be doing it in England!
This is just what I've gathered from looking abroad for work. If it were me, I'd train in UK, stay for few years and get experience and NQT year done. Then look abroad. But only you know what's best for yourself.
Thanks from:
11-01-2011, 01:11   #15
overmantle

Honours Irish

If you are really serious about it, why not put everything you have into the Irish and attempt Leaving Cert Irish in June 2011? It's not too late if you put everything you have into it and get a grind. The standard is not what it once was and there's a good chance you may get a C£. If not, you haven't lost anything and could try it again next year. Meanwhile, you can apply in UK & Ireland for your training. HTH.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion