Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-10-2010, 09:53   #1
disgruntled09

Artificial Christmas Tree

I want to buy an artifical Christmas tree this year for around €100.

Can anyone recommend a good one or best shops to look in?
Advertisement
20-10-2010, 12:10   #2
candy-gal1

Argos usually have a gorgeous selection.
20-10-2010, 14:11   #3
Loughc

Woodies, Heatons and Pennys all do good selections of them aswell!
08-11-2010, 15:28   #4
Joeyjoejoe43

Nothing like a real tree, gives the xmas smell to the sitting room. Fake trees should be illegal!
08-11-2010, 19:39   #5
Loughc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjoejoe43 View Post
Nothing like a real tree, gives the xmas smell to the sitting room. Fake trees should be illegal!
Fake trees are easier to put up, look after (no silly pines!!) and they last for a good few years! And in the recession that's not a bad thing!!
Advertisement
08-11-2010, 19:48   #6
Posy
Warm and cosy

Oh, I much prefer the artificial ones- and you can get them with built-in lights, so no untangling!
Thanks from:
09-11-2010, 02:32   #7
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posy View Post
Oh, I much prefer the artificial ones- and you can get them with built-in lights, so no untangling!
pffft amateur

you should spend time getting it right

then fold it up with the decoations and lights in place so next year you just have to unbend the branches
16-11-2010, 18:30   #8
Kimono-Girl
Banned

B&Q have a massive selection of brilliant tree's all reduced to ridiculously low prices, i was very impressed.

we picked up a great 7ft 6in one for €71

saw the exact same one in woodies for €150.
Thanks from:
16-11-2010, 19:23   #9
Butterflylove

I bought mine in pennys last year for 20 euro and its a 5ft+ tree and its very full looking I was really surprised by the quailty of it? My partner just took it out of its box the other day to make sure it was ok and it looks just the same quailty as it was last year!
Advertisement
17-11-2010, 10:26   #10
jamieh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimono-Girl View Post
B&Q have a massive selection of brilliant tree's all reduced to ridiculously low prices, i was very impressed.

we picked up a great 7ft 6in one for €71

saw the exact same one in woodies for €150.
Hey,

Do they have any 9-10ft trees do you know?

I'm looking at a 9ft in BT's for €350.

I'd take a spin to B&Q if they have bigger sizes
18-11-2010, 15:49   #11
Posy
Warm and cosy

Quote:
you can get them with built-in lights, so no untangling!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Midnight View Post
pffft amateur

you should spend time getting it right
then fold it up with the decorations and lights in place so next year you just have to unbend the branches
I've actually decided against the pre-lit tree, they're a bit lame alright. Plus I've discovered that LED lights come in 'warm white', not just that blue kind of white so that's my new plan.. plus they have lights in Argos for half price, woo!
19-11-2010, 11:08   #12
Angelmangle

I have to second Pennys for trees - we got ours there two Christmasses ago and to be honest I was a tad dubious at first but I have to say it looks great.

We've used our tree for two years so far and I'm very happy with how it looks, it was great value (can't remember how much exactly but under €40.00) and it looks fab. We have a second floor apartment so didn't want to be hauling a real tree up and down stairs etc and I'm very happy that we went artificial although I would always have prefered real trees before that, for convenience, price and looks my Pennys Christmas tree has come up trumps
Thanks from:
19-11-2010, 14:51   #13
Calibos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieh View Post
Hey,

Do they have any 9-10ft trees do you know?

I'm looking at a 9ft in BT's for €350.

I'd take a spin to B&Q if they have bigger sizes
They have 10ft's in stock in Woodies Bray. I'm actually after a 9ft myself. At a stretch, I'll buy it and cut 6 inches off the bottom to get it to fit.

Tell me though, have you a link to the BT tree or can you tell me how it compares to the trees in the likes of Woodies etc I mean aesthetically, is it just the same type of branch/fake pine needles as all the trees everywhere else but just in a large size or is it more realistic looking/better quality than the trees available elsewhere in the likes of Woodies?

Just finished a massive renovation and restoration on our Victorian end of Terrace and want to go to town on classy tree's and garlands and decorations for the place.

I mean financially given the times we are in its not the best idea for us to be spending big money on Christmas decorations but we have decided to put off other things for a year so we can do it. We all love Christmas in our house and all through the long process of planning and doing the renovation over the last few years, what decorations we would like and where we would put them were always part of the 'Dream' for the new house. The Electrician was laughing when we were going through the electrical spec and plug location plans with him at first fix....
Quote:
What do you want a socket up there high on the sides of all the chimney breasts for? A lit Xmas garland over the fireplace
Why do you want a socket inset where the stairs end and the bannister turns along the landing? So there isn't a fairy light cable for the xmas garlands taped down the hall wall to a socket in the kitchen
etc etc etc

We'll finally feel we are truelly finished the renovation job when we see the house at Christmas with all the decorations up.

I'm probably preaching to the converted here

On a sidenote: You know you've got a sale when you are selling your house when you hear prospective buyers talking about where they would put the Christmas Tree
Thanks from:
19-11-2010, 23:41   #14
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

Quote:
I've actually decided against the pre-lit tree, they're a bit lame alright. Plus I've discovered that LED lights come in 'warm white', not just that blue kind of white so that's my new plan.. plus they have lights in Argos for half price, woo!
A pre lit tree ?
Dear Lord no, those things are hideous

No what I mean is get a tree and put your decorations and lights on it, leave a little extra slack with the lights cable near sections of the tree.

Come the new year just take the tree apart, flatten the branches and put back in the box. Ye leave on them lights and decorations d'ya see ?
21-11-2010, 17:38   #15
littlemis

Artificial tree so much kinder to the environment...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion