Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scumbag sues Garda

Options
  • 07-10-2010 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

have a read of this article... http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/garda-tried-to-kill-me-car-thief-tells-court-2368625.html

I can't believe this scumbag even got to bring this case to court.
    A garda accused of "trying to kill" a suspect after a car chase through the city centre has gone on trial at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

Garda Gerard Curtis (23), of Ardee, Co Louth, is said to have been part of a group of around 10 gardai who allegedly smashed the window of the stolen car, dragged the suspect through it and kicked and beat him with their batons.

The alleged victim also claimed gardai refused to take him to hospital at his request. Gda Curtis, who is stationed at Store Street garda station in Dublin, denies assault and assault causing harm to John Paul Maughan (19) on Alexandra Road in the Dublin docks on July 11, 2009.

Mr Maughan told Maurice Coffey, prosecuting, that he had been "on a session" in the city centre before the incident.

Mr Maughan said he had been drinking and taking drugs throughout the day and that he and a friend, Gary Henry, stole a set of car keys from a drunk man they met in the street.

They got into the car and drove off before they "took a chase".

Mr Maughan described around 10 garda cars chasing them and said his friend was driving at full speed down the quays.

They reached the docks and Mr Henry crashed the car after performing a handbrake turn to avoid going into the water.

Mr Maughan said gardai surrounded the car before the passenger window was smashed with a baton and he was pulled through.

The alleged victim said he told the gardai to relax and then put out his arms so he could be handcuffed, but he claimed the group of gardai ignored him and started to hit him with their batons and kick him, leaving him with cuts and bruises over his body.

Mr Maughan said they then pulled him up and handcuffed before kicking him again and putting him in a garda van. He said he could not identify any of his alleged attackers.

Wounds

Mr Maughan told Mr Coffey he was taken to Store Street station where he claimed he asked to be taken to hospital but this was refused. A doctor was later called and his wounds were bandaged.

Mr Maughan denied under cross-examination that they had stolen the car keys at knife point.

He told defence counsel, Breffni Gordon, that during the chase the gardai "were trying to ram us, trying to kill us" and that during the assault the gardai were "treating us like dogs" and "trying to kill us."

Mr Maughan agreed with counsel that he had a "long list of convictions" and was currently in custody awaiting trial for a street mugging.

And he admitted to several of the offences put to him by Mr Gordon but denied ever being convicted for carrying a knife.

"That's a load of bollox, you can burn that," Mr Maughan said.

"I was never caught with a knife, I don't use knives."

The trial continues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The problem here could be that the guard did beat the snot out of him, I've heard of that happening a lot, more than likely deservedly. But within the letter of the law the guard could be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

They seem to have gone a bit OTT in fairness.

LOL at this quote :D
    And he admitted to several of the offences put to him by Mr Gordon but denied ever being convicted for carrying a knife.

"That's a load of bollox, you can burn that," Mr Maughan said.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

I remember hearing about that just after the arrest and the guy was complaining about rough treatment. He has some neck, he put members of the public at risk by driving, as he put it, full speed down the quays, and put the lives of guards that he 'took a chace' from at risk, not to mention robbed some poor chaps car. he was lucky he got off so lightly if you ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Not as if he's actually going to get anywhere with that case. Waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Lock up, throw away key.
    A garda accused of "trying to kill" a suspect after a car chase through the city centre has gone on trial at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court.

Gda Curtis, who is stationed at Store Street garda station in Dublin, denies assault and assault causing harm to John Paul Maughan (19) on Alexandra Road in the Dublin docks on July 11, 2009.

Mr Maughan told Maurice Coffey, prosecuting, that he had been "on a session" in the city centre before the incident.

Mr Maughan said he had been drinking and taking drugs throughout the day and that he and a friend, Gary Henry, stole a set of car keys from a drunk man they met in the street.

They got into the car and drove off before they "took a chase".

Mr Maughan described around 10 garda cars chasing them and said his friend was driving at full speed down the quays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Quoting the article would have been a good idea too, just so I didn't have to visit another site to read what you're on about and then come back here to reply :P

The Gardai aren't allowed to beat down prisoners or refuse medical attention if requested. It's one of those things you know might happen and possibly feel no sympathy for the victim but it isn't allowed. These are just allegations though, there's no talk of evidence apart from the victim's word which is most likely untrustworthy given he's got a long record.

If it did happen then the Garda needs to be sanctioned.

I find it strange that he can't identify his attacker, yet only one Garda is up for assault :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

steve06 wrote: »
    have a read of this article... http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/garda-tried-to-kill-me-car-thief-tells-court-2368625.html

I can't believe this scumbag even got to bring this case to court.

Why? These are pretty serious allegations.
    Garda Gerard Curtis (23), of Ardee, Co Louth, is said to have been part of a group of around 10 gardai who allegedly smashed the window of the stolen car, dragged the suspect through it and kicked and beat him with their batons.
    10 cops beating up a suspect. That ought to be investigated.

The alleged victim also claimed gardai refused to take him to hospital at his request.
    Refusing medical care to someone who was allegedly beaten up by 10 gardai. That ought to be investigated.

It might be a pile of nonsence, but, if it isn't then the guards have a lot to answer for, scumbag or not.

Anyway, who is sueing who? It looks from the article that this is a criminal case being brought by the DPP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I doubt he's going to get anywhere, and good enough for him.

He admitted himself he was off his face on drugs & drink. Add that to the fact that he's got a long record and any allegations he makes are suspect to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

He told defence counsel, Breffni Gordon, that during the chase the gardai "were trying to ram us, trying to kill us"
    What the f*ck does he expect them to do?

Sykk wrote: »
    Not as if he's actually going to get anywhere with that case. Waste of time.
    I presume the DPP wouldn't have brought a case if there wasn't some chance of success.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

dvpower wrote: »
    Why? These are pretty serious allegations.

10 cops beating up a suspect. That ought to be investigated.

They should be given a medal!

Scum like that should have no rights whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭rockmongrel

The Guards are a civil protection force and should do their jobs with the utmost dignity. If they did beat the snot out of the guy then they are lowering themselves to his level and, in my opinion, lose a hell of a lot of respect. Of course, the whole thing could be a load of ****, which is the good thing about the courts. But if it's true, these are really serious allegations and should definitely be investigated.

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want a police force that goes around beating the **** out of criminals, that's not their job. The job is to serve and protect, not deal out retribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Gardai can be pri*ks though, they think they rule the world when they are an embarrassment really. Useless bunch of fu*ks for the most part, im sure some are good at their jobs.

Saying that though this little toerag deserved a beating for the risks he took, could have knocked some poor child down or anybody else for that matter!

If the Gardai did beat him, they should face charges, but this little gimp should be locked up for what he done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

AgileMyth wrote: »
    What the f*ck does he expect them to do?

True. If this was America he would have been shot in the head and no more would have been said about it. Im not condoning 10 coppers beating the **** out of him after being apprehended but my sympathy for the guy is fairly light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Stole a car off someone who worked hard to pay for it, and then tore through the streets off his face, putting countless pedestrians and motorists at risk.

Case should be thrown out of court and the judge should give him a beating too for good measure.

Roaster wrote: »
    They should be given a medal!

Scum like that should have no rights whatsoever.

They have done their job by catching the guy. I don't think Gardaí should be involved in thuggish behaviour like kicking someone. Do you really think that should be acceptable?

I'm all for taking dirt off the streets, but kicking somebody shouldn't be necessary.

Stole a car off someone who worked hard to pay for it, and then tore through the streets off his face, putting countless pedestrians and motorists at risk.
    True.
    Case should be thrown out of court and the judge should give him a beating too for good measure.
    This is a case taken by the state against a guard. The scumbag/victim in question is just a witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They have done their job by catching the guy. I don't think Gardaí should be involved in thuggish behaviour like kicking someone. Do you really think that should be acceptable?

I'm all for taking dirt off the streets, but kicking somebody shouldn't be necessary.

He was probably so high on drink and drugs, that he didn't feel it. They should have waited for him to sober up first, then kicked the lard out of him. No pain no gain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Car thives..cowards..if they ran somebody over in a stolen car would they own up and take the repecussions in law?

I heard a dirtbag girl talking on the bus about how a local garda had 'tried to run her over' after she'd smashed the window of the patrol car.."I'm gonna get her chaaargged" she was saying..real criminals these people..they go running to the guards when they get caught by the guards.
    They can stew in hell for all i care and fcuck thier "civil rights"..a sledgehammer to the kneecaps is too good for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Mr Maughan said they then pulled him up and handcuffed before kicking him again and putting him in a garda van. He said he could not identify any of his alleged attackers.

Case should be thrown out. Can't nominate one of 10 garda as the attacker as he does not know who attacked him. Was it one of them? was it 3? 4? all 10?
    Reasonable doubt, cannot be proven, toss it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Rodney King a la Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want a police force that goes around beating the **** out of criminals, that's not their job. The job is to serve and protect, not deal out retribution.
    Completely disagree

I would much sooner see our cops kicking the crap out of scumbags than this "serve and protect" nonsense.

I like nothing better than hearing of such scum getting their heads kicked in. Fair play to the cops. If you are a cop and reading this, please give the next scumbag you catch an extra kick for me. Will be our little secret :D

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

The real scum here is the gardai, which is usually the case, 10 of them battering a poor man half to death. Just because they can.

****ing pig should rot in prison, they will take care of his arse in there....dirty pig ****....:cool:

I realise this guy might not be the most reliable witness, but I can't understand how some people reckon it should be fine for Gardaí to beat a suspect? Take a step back and think about it for a second and don't be so ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Completely disagree

I would much sooner see our cops kicking the crap out of scumbags than this "serve and protect" nonsense.

I like nothing better than hearing of such scum getting their heads kicked in. Fair play to the cops. If you are a cop and reading this, please give the next scumbag you catch an extra kick for me. Will be our little secret :D

Hmm, I don't think you'd have the same attitude if it was your son who got his face knocked in by a couple of guards who caught him pissing down a back alley on a Saturday night after a bellyful of beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

True. If this was America he would have been shot in the head and no more would have been said about it. Im not condoning 10 coppers beating the **** out of him after being apprehended but my sympathy for the guy is fairly light

My sympathy ≤ 0

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

DB10 wrote: »
    The real scum here is the gardai, which is usually the case, 10 of them battering a poor man half to death. Just because they can.

****ing pig should rot in prison, they will take care of his arse in there....dirty pig ****....:cool:
    So the word of a guy who was drunk and on drugs, stole a car and then was chased down the quays in Dublin should automatically eb accepted as fact and the cops should all be thrown in prison.

I somehow get the feeling you were caught for breaking the law at some point...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Hmm, I don't think you'd have the same attitude if it was your son who got his face knocked in by a couple of guards who caught him pissing down a back alley on a Saturday night after a bellyful of beer.

In all fairness, we are not talking about someone pi$$ing down a back alley.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,340 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

phill106 wrote: »
    Case should be thrown out. Can't nominate one of 10 garda as the attacker as he does not know who attacked him. Was it one of them? was it 3? 4? all 10?
    Reasonable doubt, cannot be proven, toss it out.

DPP wouldn't take this criminal case unless it was felt there was a reasonable chance of a conviction.
    And this case would have gone to the very senior most experienced ranks of the DPP to make the final decision as to whether to proceed.

Perhaps in future they should just let yourself make these decisions after a quick synopsis of the case here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement