Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

31-08-2010, 17:05   #1
Oracle

New Tesco Mobile International call rates from 2c per minute.

Tesco Mobile have introduced new low international call rates from 2c per minute. These are probably the lowest international call rates available, using an Irish prepay mobile. There's no promo codes, minimum top up requirement or opt-in needed, just top up and call. There's also cheaper texts from 14c, although if you get an O2 SIM card, you can send international web texts for free.

You can get a Tesco mobile SIM card for free on the web site, or get one free with a €10 top up, from any Tesco store.

Some of the destinations included for 2/3c per min:
  • Spain
  • Poland
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • France
  • Germany
  • Belgium
  • Austria
  • Netherlands
  • Italy
  • Australia
  • India
  • Israel
  • Malaysia
  • Canada
  • South Korea
  • China
  • Australia & New Zealand
  • United States (landlines and mobiles 2c/min)

Full details: http://www.tescomobile.ie/international/index.aspx

Terms and Conditions
  1. Each call can be max 60 minutes, you will be disconnected after 60 minutes, although you can re-dial.
  2. Calls are charged on a per minute basis.
  3. Not applicable when roaming.
  4. Free credit or double credit cannot be used for international calls. Each international call will use your regular top up credit.
  5. Offer available until 31st. December 2010

**Note: avoid calling the UK on Tesco Mobile, it'll cost you 50c per minute! **
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
31-08-2010, 18:32   #2
samapple789

i am asking can the tesco sims work in a o2 mobile ? eg does it have to unlocked our can i use it sim free
31-08-2010, 18:38   #3
Oracle

As far as I know, Tesco Mobile SIM cards don't work in O2 locked mobiles, I've tried. You'll need a Tesco Mobile phone (from €20 delivered) or another unlocked phone to use the Tesco SIM.
Thanks from:
31-08-2010, 18:42   #4
Saruman

Good deal that if you don't have a landline or are not at home.
31-08-2010, 18:51   #5
Davy
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samapple789 View Post
i am asking can the tesco sims work in a o2 mobile ? eg does it have to unlocked our can i use it sim free
The o2 handset would need to be unlocked. Tesco sims are a different company, that happen to use o2 cells
Advertisement
31-08-2010, 23:54   #6
gleep

Not including British numbers?

Last edited by gleep; 31-08-2010 at 23:55. Reason: Edit - -Just read end of OP, now I'm triple-red-faced-mad!
01-09-2010, 01:26   #7
54kroc

Calls to Irish fixed-lines & mobiles cost 20cent yet a call to the USA is 2cent.
Should they not have it the other way around, How can it be cheaper to ring abroad than it is to make a local call.
01-09-2010, 02:10   #8
DOC09UNAM
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork45 View Post
Calls to Irish fixed-lines & mobiles cost 20cent yet a call to the USA is 2cent.
Should they not have it the other way around, How can it be cheaper to ring abroad than it is to make a local call.
Because local calls are calls you will more than likely have to/want to make, this is just to intice people into getting the sims, and then buying credit they wouldn't have bought without the offer.
Thanks from:
01-09-2010, 10:38   #9
sok2005

Just a note, with Tesco Mobile you are unable to send MMS's to other mobile providers. I called and asked when this would be rectified and their extremely unhelpful customer service said they have no idea! Quickly switched back after my sim card stopped working and when I rang customer service for help I was told they didnt know what to do!
Advertisement
01-09-2010, 10:58   #10
emo72

Quote:
Originally Posted by sok2005 View Post
Just a note, with Tesco Mobile you are unable to send MMS's to other mobile providers. I called and asked when this would be rectified and their extremely unhelpful customer service said they have no idea! Quickly switched back after my sim card stopped working and when I rang customer service for help I was told they didnt know what to do!
they are a bit dodgy like that. i have an unlocked o2 desire with a tesco sim. when i rang support to ask how to set up 3g on the phone they said they dont support it and theres nothing they can do. shocking. but im still with them cos there so cheap for everything else.
01-09-2010, 17:43   #11
Oracle

Just noticed they're down to only 1 model of phone for €20 on the web site, so check out in-store if you want to buy a Tesco mobile phone. Last time I was in a Tesco they had at least 3 models for €20.
01-09-2010, 18:13   #12
craftypaddy
Closed Account

calls to uk are 50 cent a min, expensive !
Thanks from:
01-09-2010, 18:16   #13
Supercell
Happy :)

China 2c , even cheaper than Vodafone and Meteor 3c, super stuff, thanks OP
01-09-2010, 18:22   #14
mell61

I used Tesco last year for a couple of months, and found the reception dire. Although using O2 network, more frequently than not I had no reception at all. customer support are less than useless, i'm not sure what they consider their job to be, but it doesn't seem to involve supporting customers!
Just an FYI if anyone is considering switching completely, i'd keep your existing number and if these rates suit you just get the sim card.
02-09-2010, 03:44   #15
Esel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mell61 View Post
I used Tesco last year for a couple of months, and found the reception dire. Although using O2 network, more frequently than not I had no reception at all.
funny that! Never had any reception problems whem using Tesco SIM myself, not heard of anyone else having a problem.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion