Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids Movies??

Options
  • 02-08-2010 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm trying to build up a bit of a collection of kids movies for the next few years - for a boy and a girl from the ages of about 2 to 6 - I'm staying at home to mind kids for next few years and want something to fall back on on rainy days at home. I have most of the obvious disney/pixar ones (toy story's, monster inc, nemo, shrek) - but I'm looking for recommendations on other movies I can get. There's Barbie movies for girls isn't there? Any advice on girl/boy/neutral ones would be appreciated.

thanks

Kelbal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Wall-E
    All the Shreks
    Toy Story1 +2
    snow white
    cinderella
    the jungle book
    pirates of the Caribbean1,2 and 3
    Iron Man
    Transformers
    Hulk
    Ace Ventura

and

the Godfather! Kids love organised crime:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Iron Man
    Transformers
    Hulk
    Ace Ventura

Wouldnt class any of those as kids movies tbh, not for a 2-6 year old anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Would Hook be a little much for 2-6? That was one of my favs growing up.
    That and An American Tail.
    Howls Moving Castle

And Pixar, some of the best movies I've ever seen, for adults and children alike

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,230 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Introduce your children to My Neighbour Totoro (along with Toy Story, the greatest family film ever made), and then move onto some of the other kids orientated Studio Ghibli films, like Spirited Away (a bit creepy for the very young, perhaps), Ponyo and Kiki's Delivery Service. They are all easily available on DVD, plus have good English voicetracks - I'm a subtitles fan, but I'm sure young children will appreciate English language :P

Your kids will thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

'An American Tail' was amazing as a kid :)
    Pirates of the Caribeann
    Wall-E
    Lion King
    UP
    Rugrats movie
    Inception:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

Introduce your children to My Neighbour Totoro (along with Toy Story, the greatest family film ever made), and then move onto some of the other kids orientated Studio Ghibli films, like Spirited Away (a bit creepy for the very young, perhaps), Ponyo and Kiki's Delivery Service. They are all easily available on DVD, plus have good English voicetracks - I'm a subtitles fan, but I'm sure young children will appreciate English language :P

I agree, my daughter is 6 in 2 days(they grow up quickly) and she loves the studio ghibli stuff, will always pick it over the other films(and we watch a lot of films) Saying that, she also loves the transformers, Hulk, Ironman films as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

All the Star Wars films are really good for kids; I cherish the memory of watching those films as a kid.

Well... avoid the prequel trilogy like the plague... Stick to the Original Trilogy for true classics.

I've been introducing my youngest brother who is 3 this week to many of the films I grew up loving. Ghostbusters is a firm favourite of his and it's not uncommon for him to barge in int he mornings singing bits of the theme song and asking for it. Batman is another favourite of his.

More recent stuff that I've found very entertaining that kids will love too, include Shaun the Sheep from Ardman which like Wallace and Gromit is just a joy to watch. It's one of the best things on TV for kids or adults but don't be surprised if your kids suddenly expect sheep to walk on two legs and dogs to blow whistles.

Chowder is a great animated show which appeals to both adults and kids. It's not really taken off over here but if you can get your hands on it I highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Just not Grave of the Fireflies, that might be a bit much for young kids

:eek::P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Here's a list of some of the lesser known films that i loved as a kid

The Sandlot kids
    The Paper brigade
    Mighty Ducks
    Little Giants
    The little rascals
    The big green
    Homeward bound
    The Goonies
    Flight of the navigator
    Explorers
    Heavyweights
    Cool Runnings
    Blank Check
    Baby's day out
    Camp no where
    Man of the house
    First kid
    Rookie of the year

Surprised i was able to name that many. Must try dig out a few for nostalgia sake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭laurashambles

Aside from the obvious Disney/Ghibli/Pixar ones I'd go for:

The Secret of Kells (If you can find it on DVD, I haven't seen it anywhere.) :(
    The Iron Giant
    How To Train Your Dragon
    The Road to El Dorado
    The Princess Bride
    Brendog wrote: »
    and

the Godfather! Kids love organised crime:D

I know you're kidding but that's my 11 year old cousin's favourite movie. :D I'm so proud. (Not sure if her parents know she's seen it though :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

some of these have been mentioned already but these are some of my favs when I was that age

ALL Disney movies

the prince of eygpt
    annie
    homeward bound
    beethovan 1 and 2
    matilda
    the witches
    anastasia
    never ending story
    all dogs go to heaven
    babys day out
    hocus pocus
    Grease (films you can sing along to in general)
    sound of music
    Doctor Doolittle

kids love any films with animals in them.

oh and Look Who's Talking, Look Who's Talking 2 and Look Who's Talking Now are great too.

Richie Rich

Home Alone films

Santa Clause the Movie
    The Santa Clause (the one with Tim Allen)
    Miracle on 34th st
    Indiana Jones

cant think of anymore right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

These films certainly make me feel like a six year old! :D They're brilliant.

I'd also recommend The Dark Crystal. At least for the older of the age bracket you're going for. It's a pretty dark movie for a kids' movie. But you'd be surprised at how much darkness kids can actually stick. And it certainly had an impact on me, back in the 80's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Big
    The Neverending Story
    The Lion King
    ET
    Mary Poppins
    Oliver!
    Flight of the Navigator
    The Karate Kid
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Princess Bride
    Black Beauty
    An American Tail
    Secret of Nymh
    Bambi
    Lion King
    Jungle Book
    Big
    Turner and Hooch
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (the Gene Wilder one ONLY!)
    Homeward Bound

Anything but E.T.. That film TERRIFIED me as a child.

Advertisement