Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign / Indie Movies in Limerick..

Options
  • 28-07-2010 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭

Is there anywhere in Limerick that caters for these ? I know the Bell table used to have the odd screening but not sure these days.. Do the two mainstream cinemas ever have monthly nights ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

You get the ocasional film festival rolling into the cinemas a few times a year if that helps. Something like the IFI from Dublin would be very nice to have hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Nockz wrote: »
    You get the ocasional film festival rolling into the cinemas a few times a year if that helps. Something like the IFI from Dublin would be very nice to have hear.

Yeah the IFI is class and I for one would welcome something like it but would it get enough custom in Limerick to survive is another thing. Shame we dont have some sort of service in regards to these genre's as there are some cracking Foreign movies out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The Empire movieplex cinema in Ennis can be good for foreign language films and Indie films.

They also screen old classic films from time to time as well.

Their ticket prices and food prices are cheaper than the two Limerick cinemas, so it can often work out better value to go there even taking the petrol/diesel used to get there into account.

I do find it funny that a town the size of Ennis can have that bit of variety in terms of what they show, yet a much bigger population catchment area like Limerick cannot do something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

@V,

The Belltable foreign film programme was active until recently, but with the current renovations, i imagine it has been put on hold for now. they would usually start a new series around Sept/Oct. Declan at the Belltable will have all the details on this.

I know that a few years back, they had plans to redo the old Theatre Royal as a dedicated venue for such films. They had recived about half the money form the Arts Council, and were trying to raise some more money to pursue this. I dont know if this plan has been put on the long finger or shelved or died.

In Galway, they are currently pursuing such an idea and i believe it is due to open soon enough. It will be interesting to see how this fares, as only a few months back, The Kino, in Cork, closed its doors, apparrently due to debts. I am led to believe it was very well attended.

In the meantime, keep an eye on Storm and the omniplex, as from time to time, they do cater for such tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Omniplex did a thing ages back where it was taking votes for the movies people wanted to see in a classic season, nothing ever came of it though..

Storm does play random older movies occasionally, Forrest Gump and America Psycho were on recently, but nothing really old, the Screen in Dublin have the right idea, they showed Predator 2 weeks ago and The Terminator is on this week, they also showed the Indiana Jones trilogy, now those I'd love to see on a big screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The Kino was quite cool. Used to be able to stroll up to Washington street and natter about films in Riordans after watching something.

Was a shame when it shut down. Seems it was doing quite well, but from what I hear the owner had debts from other ventures and that was that for the Kino :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The Belltable will resume showing films when the refurbishment is finished, afaik. They used to show some great stuff.

There was supposed to be an Arthouse cinema built in a remodelled Theatre Royal but seems to have disappeared off the agenda.

If you have a car, Friar's Gate theatre in Kilmallock show arthouse films occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

lockman wrote: »
    In Galway, they are currently pursuing such an idea and i believe it is due to open soon enough.

Sorry to inform you lockman, that nothing is built here as I write. The site is just that, a site surrounded by hoardings. It was started a long time back now and I fear there maybe some financing issues. I don't know. It would have been of some benefit to Limerick-based film fans too as the Gort bypass will reduce trip time to 1hr.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

topper75 wrote: »
    Sorry to inform you lockman, that nothing is built here as I write. The site is just that, a site surrounded by hoardings. It was started a long time back now and I fear there maybe some financing issues. I don't know. It would have been of some benefit to Limerick-based film fans too as the Gort bypass will reduce trip time to 1hr.

@topper;
    Thanks for that info. When i was living there (~1 year back) it seemed like they had all the finances (according to Galway Advertiser and other local rags) and were proceeding with it. It is a shame to hear that. Fingers crossed that those in Galway can get this together soon. It would indeed have been useful to us down here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Rumours abound that the long promised redevelopment of the Theatre Royal is finally in motion. Anyone heard anything?

• Advertisement
Advertisement