Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Who - 7x01 - Spearhead From Space [SPOILERS]

Options
  • 24-07-2010 8:12pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Some info:

Length 4 episodes, 25 minutes each
    Originally broadcast January 3–January 24, 1970

This serial, in its opening certainly, reminds me a little of "The Christmas Invasion" as a newly regenerated Doctor spends time recovering (without any of that rubbish glowing magic).
    This does allow us to gradually introduce the Doctor - it's one of the best there's been in the show since "An Unearthly Child". It helps that, for the first time, he's travelled without anyone. He has to build up companions and contact. It was nicely played to give him a tentative connection to the past by bringing in U.N.I.T (that's United NATIONS Intelligence Taskforce to you!).

Liz Shaw is also an interesting choice to bring in - stronger and more independent than his previous companions. In fact she's that thing we've rarely seen in the show up to now - an intelligent woman! This is one of the reasons that Season 7 shows a different direction. It's assuming a bit more intelligence on the behalf of its viewers (more so than many later seasons in fact) and they have someone now who's capable of understanding the Doctor's techno-babble. Of course the fact that was too smart for the show led us down a different route - but that's something for Season 8!

The Brigadier is a great introduction as a long-term role (yes, he had appeared before, but it's only in this story they flesh him out). The Doctor's opposition to military intervention is the strongest in this season and Pertwee plays off Courtney very well. A great friendship tinged with frustration is born here. It's a crying shame that he's never met up with the Doctor in the new show (although he has a wonderful appearance in "The Sarah Jane Adventures" if you want to watch them).

The aliens themselves are well introduced. I think the Autons, and the Nestene Consciousness, work better here when they're not poor-CGI rubbish bins. The idea of shop dummies menacing London is handled very well. Maybe it's pure nostalgia, but I found the ruthlessness of their killing more effective and cold blooded than Season 27's attempt in "Rose".

Restricted to four episodes, the pacing is quite good too - there's less of the run/get caught/escape/run around structure that often plagued the earlier seasons.

And of course there's Pertwee himself, the dandy Doctor. Straight out: I never much cared for Pertwee's Doctor. However, that's not to say he's a bad actor or anything of the sort. Pertwee may choose a foppish outfit (and car!) for himself, but in many respects he's the sharpest and most impatient Doctor there's been. He does not suffer fools gladly and again I think this shows a change in direction for the show. The Doctor isn't prancing about the screen, or muttering to himself. He's in control and Pertwee is very good at this.
    Of course there's still time for humour and Pertwee's Doctor is great for having a mischievous twinkle in his eyes. You got to love how he charmingly lifts his outfit when escaping the hospital.
    There's also the added angle that he doesn't want to be there. The Doctor chooses where he wants to go. He's trapped here and it's a good way to play into his character. Trapped firstly by being laid up in bed, then on earth itself, the Doctor still comes across very strong on screen. I'd say that this seriousness was seen most recently in Eccleston's performance rather than DT's or MS'.

It's a strong introduction to the show - confident in many ways but still time for moments of playful humour. It's in colour for the first time but it's a lot bolder than just that. One of the best season openers and one of the best introductions to a new incarnation of the Doctor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

ixoy wrote: »
    Maybe it's pure nostalgia, but I found the ruthlessness of their killing more effective and cold blooded than Season 27's attempt in "Rose".
    Forgot to mention that in my other post, and as someone who hadn't seen Spearhead From Space before I can tell you it wasn't nostalgia, it really was brutal. There was one scene where they shot a guy in the back while he was running away :eek: Now that was a proper invasion, none of this "we'll only shoot if you fight back", it felt like a proper war, and gave the whole serial a good feel of realism (well, as realistic you can get with a blue-box time machine and killer manequins :p)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I haven't gotten a chance to see this yet due to but I should in the next day or two just in case you think I'm not in. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I haven't gotten a chance to see this yet due to but I should in the next day or two just in case you think I'm not in. :)
    Good to hear! I'm going back to the other thread to put in more suggestions :D

I'm just starting ep 1.

Liz shaw is teh hawt.

Ok.

A little background.

Pertwee and Troughton are the only two Doctors I haven't seen about the age of 12 or so so I was intrigued in going back.

Also, I was aware of the "James Bonding" of Dr Who during Pertwees era so it kinda informed my viewing.

The only times I saw this coming in was in the Doctor gadget watch (is it just me or are the chameleon arches' design based on it?) and him blowing the door.

I was impressed, considering the age, with Liz's strong character, and the army man who said she was a "pretty face" was an incompetent idiot showed for me that this wasn't just lip service.

I liked how rougish the Doctor was- wanting to keep the stolen car- and how he was happy to just bugger off and leave the brig and Liz with their problem.

I thought the autons were properly scary. There's just something about the imagery from tv of this time. It could be quite visceral.

I also liked the chello music around the middle third of the serial.

That said I thought it could be a bit slow. I know this is part of serial Dr Who, but for example the section where the autons try to steal the Doctor- it felt like it was thrown in to simply make up the minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"What use would I have for money?"

Money can be used to purchase clothes and cars perhaps?

Not sure what to make of the Third Doctor. He came across as weak in these episodes, especially in the scene where the Brigadier confiscates the TARDIS key. (from a grammar pedant pov, the Brigadier's incorrect use of the word "shan't" annoyed me). On the plus side, no sonic screwdriver in sight, woohoo! And it is generally refreshing not having to see him jumping around the screen like someone with ADHD, a la Tennant.

I enjoyed the 4th part of the serial, when it really picked up. Was quite slow up to that point.

Stark wrote: »
    "What use would I have for money?"

Money can be used to purchase clothes and cars perhaps?

Not sure what to make of the Third Doctor. He came across as weak in these episodes, especially in the scene where the Brigadier confiscates the TARDIS key. (from a grammar pedant pov, the Brigadier's incorrect use of the word "shan't" annoyed me). On the plus side, no sonic screwdriver in sight, woohoo! And it is generally refreshing not having to see him jumping around the screen like someone with ADHD, a la Tennant.

I enjoyed the 4th part of the serial, when it really picked up. Was quite slow up to that point.

Have to say the slowness struck me too. I've recently watched other non nu who stuff so it's not just adjusting from 45 min info dumps.

3 becomes a doctor of action though, trust me. He's the martial arts Doctor :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Have to say the slowness struck me too. I've recently watched other non nu who stuff so it's not just adjusting from 45 min info dumps.
    It is a bit slower sure, but the pace generally worked for me as it's about bringing in a new Doctor, companion, U.N.I.T.,etc. Right now I'm watching "Inferno" and the pacing there is better (straight into the story).
    3 becomes a doctor of action though, trust me. He's the martial arts Doctor :)
    Venusian karate ftw!

3 becomes a doctor of action though, trust me.

Sounds like a Farscape quote. "I am a Dominar of Action!".
    ixoy wrote:
    It is a bit slower sure, but the pace generally worked for me as it's about bringing in a new Doctor, companion, U.N.I.T.,etc. Right now I'm watching "Inferno" and the pacing there is better (straight into the story).

True, I did enjoy the focus on setting up the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Really enjoyed that - thought it was a decent intoduction for Pertwee as the Doctor and for Liz Shaw...
    The autons in this were far superior to the autons in "Rose" and much more ruthless and sinister...
    I agree that the pacing was a bit slow, but that can be forgiven because it was a great story...

• Advertisement

I can't remember much of 3's tenure. Do most of the Earthbound ones stay clear of the Tardis?

Interesting stuff on this serial:

This episode contains a lot of new information about the Doctor's physiology. We discover the Doctor has a binary vascular system, that his blood type isn't comparable to any human one, and that he can willfully go into a coma. This is also the first time that we see regeneration as a difficult physical process, with lingering effects.
    Unlike the Fourth, Fifth and Seventh Doctors (DW: Robot, Castrovalva, Time and the Rani), the Third Doctor immediately recognizes people he's known in his previous body. In this instance, he recognizes Lethbridge-Stewart the first time he sees him. On the whole, the Third Doctor endures the effects of regeneration in much the same way that the Tenth Doctor did (DW: The Christmas Invasion).
    The rationale the Brigadier gives Liz for aliens suddenly being interested in Earth is used, almost word-for-word, by the Tenth Doctor, when he tries to explain to Prime Minster Harriet Jones why the Sycorax won't be the last aliens to visit Earth. (DW: The Christmas Invasion)
    Due to a scene-shifters' strike, this story is completely shot on film and almost completely on location.
    The actor playing the Doctor is credited for the first time as 'Doctor Who' in the closing credits as opposed to 'Dr. Who' which had been the norm since 1963. This form of credit would continue until the end of the Tom Baker era in 1981, after which the credit became the correct form, 'The Doctor'.
    Among the props seen on the Doctor's workbench is the Morok freezing machine from The Space Museum (which was recycled previously as an x-ray laser in The Wheel in Space), and a control panel form one of Tobias Vaughn's machines, from The Invasion.
    This was the first of two times a new incarnation fought the Autons; also, this was the first of three times the Autons appeared in a season opener. The Daleks are the only other adversary to have started three seasons/series'.

We witnessed the moment when it was established the doctor had 2 hearts. I was totally "yeah and?" when that happened. :)

All from the Dr Who Wiki (I recommend you only read it after you see the serials though, I'd say it'd spoil it reading in advance).

Another interesting thing I picked up is that this Doctor never likes his second incarnation.

Also of interest- this one I knew in advance :)- at this point the "regeneration" was not set in stone. At this point there was always some extra reason the Doctor looked different rather than simply regenerating. The lore we take for granted was really being written around this time.
    So the fanwank explanation is that due to the highly stressful nature of the second regeneration 3 took an instant dislike to 2.

Didn't pick up on the 3rd Doctor not liking the 2nd. Where did you pick up on that? At first, he seemed dismayed that "I don't look like me at all" whereas other Doctors have seemed far more comfortable with their new identities.

Stark wrote: »
    Didn't pick up on the 3rd Doctor not liking the 2nd. Where did you pick up on that? At first, he seemed dismayed that "I don't look like me at all" whereas other Doctors have seemed far more comfortable with their new identities.

It's not from this episode, it's from the specials the three/ five Doctors.

I'd guess the discomfort is down to the fact they hadn't quite decided on what a regeneration actually is at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

lovely film use in the outdoor scenes and the hospital. using the intro from liz's point of view is great too, and her scepticism at the doctor and the brig is also excellent work.

so this time the doctor regenerated with a tattoo, and he borrowed his clothes from a hospital - not the last time he will do that :D.

this was the first who broadcast in colour (but i think it wasnt the first to be made??) and was made in the summer of 69 and shows it. it looks good and feels good and is a total break form the studio bound base under seige efforts that the second doctor had become too stuck to.

The new production team of Barry Letts and Terrence Dicks really grasp the nettle, who was on its last legs and was in serious danger of going with Hartnell, they reinvented it for the 70's - more action, faster pace, it was very much of its time but also, as we see it today, timeless.

The doctor dosnt want to be there and tries to leg it (forth does just this), he is not fond of his previous face (sixth does this too), we have a companion in the 00's mode, we have no master (yet) and the development of the idea of the time lords being so alien as Dicks brought about in the previous story The War Games.

i have a lot of fondness for this story, it just works in a way that i didnt expect it to, no bessie (yet, but a prototype) and no zen, green nor karate that will soon seep into the Letts years. season one of pertwee is the best run of who ever in my humble opinion and this encapsulates it finely.

Advertisement