Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reloading

Options
  • 05-07-2010 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi all
    i am a newby haveing just joined boards.ie. I am a target pistol shooter in Belfast and later in the year am going to USA via Dublin. I would like to bring back with me reloading dies (.38special) and unprimed brass. My question is, is it legal to bring either of these into the country enroute to Belfast? Unfortunatly there no flights from Belfast to Boston.
    15 years ago i brought home via Dublin a Hornady projector press, was stopped by customs and asked to pay duty because its value was more than my personal allowance.
    Would appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭T.H.308

Hi bruno,
    im not an expert on the issue but you probably would have the same situation with the dies I:e pay duty but they might be more concerned about the brass as its classed as a component of ammunition AFAIK, if im wrong im sure some one with more knowlege of the matter will set things straight,

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

So far as I know, the actual equipment used isn't illegal to own in Ireland (and oddly, using it isn't either - it's owning the primers and propellant without a proper explosives licence which is illegal, and those are near-impossible to get unless you're a commercial company).

HOWEVER, the law on this point is - to put it mildly - convoluted. Especially on the point of the brass, which technically is ammunition under Irish law and requires a suitable firearms permit and/or import licence.

To be honest, I'd try to ship it direct if I were you. Less headaches that way, and there's a fair few dealers up in NI who could help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bruno21

Thanks guys for your thoughts on this. I have since e-mailed Dublin and asked the question of Customs Division Prohibitions Restrictions who said it wasnt something they could answer and forwarded my e-mail to the Dept of Justice & Law Reform. I got the following reply.

Importation of reloading equipment, including ammunition cases, into this
    State is not permitted. Perhaps, it may be possible ship the items directly
    from the US to your home address.

Kind regards,

Crime 4
    Department of Justice & Law Reform

94 St Stephen's Green
    Dublin 2

I have also been following the thread on reloading in ROI and agree that is nonsense to prohibit it, while allowing ammo over the counter from a gun shop. No criminal is going to waste their time reloading ammo- they will either steal or buy it.
    As for me, it looks like i will have to buy my reloading dies from the UK - a 3 die set by Hornady will cost £55 whereas in the USA i can get them for $45 (approx £30)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

State is not permitted

That's extremely worrying!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

dCorbus wrote: »
    bruno21 wrote: »
    State is not permitted
    That's extremely worrying!:(
    It's a cause for concern all right. :(

It depends on what 'they' define as "reloading equipment" I suppose.
    Primers and powders have a de facto ban in place, and empty cases appear to also cause much sucking of air through teeth for some reason. :confused:

Lots of people however, in the aftermath of former Minister McDowell's announcement of his proposed legislation that would allow reloading, went off and bought presses, dies, and lots of other paraphernalia peculiar to the activity, most of it by mail-order from outside the State.
    Obviously, given subsequent events, these purchases were somewhat premature, but it's all safely stored away in anticipation of the great day when Official Ireland finally deigns to treat her citizens with some measure of respect and not have them the laughing stock of the rest of the shooting world.

Are these people now lawbreakers of some sort?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 bruno21

Thanks for that, i would be interested in your opinion to the question i asked, exact question shown below

Is it permitted to bring into Ireland (on route to Belfast) unprimed pistol ammunition cases, for the purpose of reloading ammunition, for use in Northern Ireland. These items are not prohibited or restricted in Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Mr Mole

Sorry, deleted post before last while I looked up something.
    I had asked for the question to DOJ as well as answer be posted.

My own opinion,is that the Dept erred in stating that reloading equipment is not permitted, but correct that the importation of unprimed ammunition cases is prohibited.

I would surmise that the possession of dies would not be unlawful, but would be very careful if that is the view of the Dept.

I would not like to have to go to Court to find out.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I'm inclined to agree with Mr Mole, though I'd like to hear something definitive from the DOJ.

I'm thinking that the request as quoted would have 'failed' on two counts:
    1. 'Ammunition' as defined in the legislation includes 'components', and as I'm assuming that the OP doesn't have an Irish Firearm Certificate for the particular calibre in question, it would be an offence for them to possess the cases here.
    2. 'Pistol ammunition cases' likely fall foul of the 'Restricted Firearms and Ammunition' Statutory Instrument (S.I. No. 21 of 2008) too.

Advertisement