Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lens hood Question....

Options
  • 13-05-2010 4:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭

I just bought a lens hood for my kit lens as I heard most people say that they are best for protection etc. However, I bought a -5e lens hood online and it doesn't seem to want to screw into my canon kit lens properly. Its as if its barely hanging on. Second of all, it interferes with my image when im zoomed all the way out - but only at certain focal points. Is this normal?
    I also go a UV filter, so should i just stick to that instead of the lens hood?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Sounds you bought the wrong lens hood for the lens.

There are different hoods for different lenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

I just bought a lens hood for my kit lens as I heard most people say that they are best for protection etc. However, I bought a -5e lens hood online and it doesn't seem to want to screw into my canon kit lens properly. Its as if its barely hanging on. Second of all, it interferes with my image when im zoomed all the way out - but only at certain focal points. Is this normal?
    I also go a UV filter, so should i just stick to that instead of the lens hood?

You don't give us much to go on! Taking a wild guess that your kit lens is the Canon 18-55mm, the correct hood is the EW60C. A hood for an 18mm lens has to be either very shallow or very large to keep it out of the field of view. It looks like you might have the wrong hood. Is it a flower type hood? If so, it could be in the wrong position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Yep canon 18-55mm lens. Flower Hood, which was meant to be specifically for the kit lens 'apparently'. It only obstructs in certain positions when its at its 18mm setting - so I guess I could just file it down a bit to get it out of the way. But I feel like it should be more secure when its screwed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Yep canon 18-55mm lens. Flower Hood, which was meant to be specifically for the kit lens 'apparently'. It only obstructs in certain positions when its at its 18mm setting - so I guess I could just file it down a bit to get it out of the way. But I feel like it should be more secure when its screwed in.

I was trying to decipher what you're saying here, by 'focal lengths' do you mean as you focus from the near focusing distance to the far focusing distance ? If so, and the lens has a rotating front element that you've screwed the hood into, then you've got a problem. The hood shouldn't rotate. I'd imagine the official canon hood probably bayonets onto a socket behind the front element or something. You'll have to focus, then adjust the hood every time so the petals are aligned correctly.

Dam!! I thought that was going to be the case alright. I guess the saying of buy cheap buy twice is true! Guess I'll just use the UV filter as a bit of protection for now. Thanks all!!

• Advertisement

I beleive this is what you should have OP;

p5130129i.jpg

Cheap enough here;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lens-Hood-Canon-18-55-28-80mm-28-90mm-EW-60C-EW60C-/180506187092?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Lens_Accessories&hash=item2a0701d554

Depending on what you spent I'd probably keep the hood you have as it is for future use (never know when you might need it). What hood do you have, out of curiousity? Should have the model number on the outside of it somewhere.

I was trying to decipher what you're saying here, by 'focal lengths' do you mean as you focus from the near focusing distance to the far focusing distance ? If so, and the lens has a rotating front element that you've screwed the hood into, then you've got a problem. The hood shouldn't rotate. I'd imagine the official canon hood probably bayonets onto a socket behind the front element or something. You'll have to focus, then adjust the hood every time so the petals are aligned correctly.

The lens hood I have (I'm sure it's a knock off and not official, boght from Hong Kong via eBay) rotates on the front of the lens when focusing, but it doesn't disrupt the image.

What the OP means is when he goes to 18mm, the lens hood is in the screen (if you take a picture, you'll have a lens hood around it as a border). This happened when I was messing about with the Olympus LH-61B. The LH-61B is a big enough hood though, so I can only assume that the OP unintentionally purchased a hood for a zoom lens (the hood my LH-61B is on is a 40-150).

Also, OP, despite my hood being no doubt of the knock-off kind, it fits securely and will never come off unless i rotate it off. I think you just bought a wrong hood. Did you ebay it by any chance? or got a link to where you bought it?

This is the one I have. Will probably just order a normal one now - Want to protect this badboy as much as possible. Specially because it's my first lens, I know I'll be forgetful and bang it off a door or something someday!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-58mm-Lens-Hood-for-Canon-EOS-350D-400D-450D-1000D_W0QQitemZ170339904360QQcategoryZ78999QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m8QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DMW%26its%3DC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D5%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8563939782257744673#ht_2716wt_996

Hmm... it does say it fits...

"Canon EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS"

So... The seller's listing is wrong here, it would seem?

EDIT:

Is this the kinda thing you were talking about chicken food?

img9067o.jpg

When you go to 18mm?

Yep thats what happens, but its more just in the top corners - definitely noticeable!!
    Thanks to all for your help. Im amazed you managed to figure out what I was talking about from all my cryptic clues (still learning terminology!)

Advertisement